• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone Else?

DocRDS

Head Maffs Monkey
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
The Great Beyond
My car was valued at $15k

Cost to repair it was 9k.

So Insurance totaled it. (Great you get 15k!--uhhhh no)

Seems Legit--This way I have to go buy a new car and put my hard earned cash into some slick Willey's pocket for the 'privilege' of overpaying in this inflated market.

• Sad
Reactions: Hobo Hilton
What was the valuation that arrived at 15k?

Were you at fault?

Find 5 or so listings for a similar used condition car to yours miles wise within 150 miles and if the used fair market value is 25k that's what you need to request....

Easy case to make without an attorney scooter

My car was valued at $15k

Cost to repair it was 9k.

So Insurance totaled it. (Great you get 15k!--uhhhh no)

Seems Legit--This way I have to go buy a new car and put my hard earned cash into some slick Willey's pocket for the 'privilege' of overpaying in this inflated market.

My only question is why were you driving a POS? Now go buy something that doesn't suck.

;)

Almost willing to sell my 2002 Lexus LS430 with 92,000 miles for $15K... it'll last until you die. But it's one of the few cars I've owned that just... is worth it. Go find yourself one of the LS430s with low miles and you'll be good for the next 10 years.

Reactions: oneshot86
I have State Farm when my pos Bronco got fucked up they averaged the price of 3 of the same model and mileage on the used market and that was the payoff. You could always buy the salvaged car and use the payoff to fix it at the body shop of your choice.

I had a '67 Oldsmobile Delmont 88 ragtop with the 455 Rocket V8 destroyed by a hit and run driver. This thing was mint! My insurance company sent me a check for about 60% of its value. I went into their office but went prepared. I had a professional automobile appraiser give me an appraisal.

The adjuster looked me eye and with a straight face offered to split the difference. I looked her straight back and said, "I didn't pay 60 cents on the dollar for my premium payments, how about you give me the appraised value of my car and we give the attorneys nothing?"

She must have thought about it for at least a full second before she replied, "OK."

I had a '67 Oldsmobile Delmont 88 ragtop with the 455 Rocket V8 destroyed by a hit and run driver. This thing was mint! My insurance company sent me a check for about 60% of its value. I went into their office but went prepared. I had a professional automobile appraiser give me an appraisal.

The adjuster looked me eye and with a straight face offered to split the difference. I looked her straight back and said, "I didn't pay 60 cents on the dollar for my premium payments, how about you give me the appraised value of my car and we give the attorneys nothing?"

She must have thought about it for at least a full second before she replied, "OK."

That's how you gotta do it sometimes

Reactions: Howland

WTF hit and run by a tank? How does someone destroy a '67 88 and leave the scene?

What was the valuation that arrived at 15k?

Were you at fault?

Find 5 or so listings for a similar used condition car to yours miles wise within 150 miles and if the used fair market value is 25k that's what you need to request....

Easy case to make without an attorney scooter
Dammit, sounds like I need to yell at State Farm (my insurance). Its nowhere near similar cars on the market now with same age and mileage.

My wife got rear-ended so the idea is to pursue the idiot who hit her for our deductible. They just gave me a number today, but I am still damn confused as to why they are giving me 6k more than it costs to fix it. I'd rather have the fixed car (as its paid off) than the money. Not to mention, I get 7 days to go buy a car before they yank my rental, but it takes them 1-2 weeks to process payment.

Fucking scam and a half, and I used to work the SOBs. Even My dad who spent his entire career in insurance can't figure out why they totaled the car.

Last edited:
If the repair cost is 50 percent of value plus 1 penny it gets totaled.

Reactions: Nik H
WTF hit and run by a tank? How does someone destroy a '67 88 and leave the scene?
Yes, I'm still amazed. They put the rear bumper about where the back seat was. I can't imagine what their car looked like or how they were even able to drive it away. It wasn't a glancing blow or a sideswipe. They plowed into that with authority.

Fucking scam and a half, and I used to work the SOBs. Even My dad who spent his entire career in insurance can't figure out why they totaled the car.
Sounds like they totaled it so they can buy it cheap and resell it on the salvage market for a profit. Insurance companies are taking a hard hit by the recent upswing in used car costs, they're trying to salvage any profits they can.

Word of warning to everyone, inflation is coming to your insurance payments too. Thanks for nothing, Brandon.

Dammit, sounds like I need to yell at State Farm (my insurance). Its nowhere near similar cars on the market now with same age and mileage.

My wife got rear-ended so the idea is to pursue the idiot who hit her for our deductible. They just gave me a number today, but I am still damn confused as to why they are giving me 6k more than it costs to fix it. I'd rather have the fixed car (as its paid off) than the money. Not to mention, I get 7 days to go buy a car before they yank my rental, but it takes them 1-2 weeks to process payment.

Why is YOUR insurance company paying you for an accident someone else is at fault for?

Reactions: DocRDS and JbBooks
If you can't afford t I burn it, you shouldn't be driving it. The $40,000 I would get if I totaled this truck wouldn't pay for the motor.

Attachments

• 0325211941_HDR.jpg
    0325211941_HDR.jpg
    564.9 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: AMGtuned
If the repair cost is 50 percent of value plus 1 penny it gets totaled.
Not necessarily true. The total cost to repair my car was $12k and the car was insured for $15k. It got fixed, not totaled. But I also have Hagerty collector insurance on it.

my wife just got into a fender bender
insurance is trying VERY hard to total the car

in fact they said, oh it's totaled over the phone without ever seeing a picture or looking at it in any way

impact was at less than 10 MPH
car is worth $17k + and is immaculate

I can't image this ever being 'totaled' so I am going go with the insurance is trying to steal my car so they can sell it for more on the used market

I have not been given any numbers yet, not sure what they are stalling for other than to make up more damage than is really there, it is literally a front bumper problem...

Always know your state laws.

Here they can total it at 50%. I don't have to accept that it's totaled until 100%.

I can also choose the body shop, the parts that go on (genuine or junkyard or Chinese re-pop), and anything else that goes along with getting it fixed to my standards.

my wife just got into a fender bender
insurance is trying VERY hard to total the car

in fact they said, oh it's totaled over the phone without ever seeing a picture or looking at it in any way

impact was at less than 10 MPH
car is worth $17k + and is immaculate

I can't image this ever being 'totaled' so I am going go with the insurance is trying to steal my car so they can sell it for more on the used market

I have not been given any numbers yet, not sure what they are stalling for other than to make up more damage than is really there, it is literally a front bumper problem...
I expect you're right. I ordered a new 2022 F350 diesel King Ranch in October. I just got it last week (4 month wait). Currently the same dealer has a 2020 F350 diesel Lariat (one lower trim level than mine) with 33,000 miles on it for sale with a price tag of $3K MORE than I paid for the brand new, zero-miles, higher trim level truck (well, 25 miles on it, not "zero"). There was not a single new truck on the lot for sale. The market for used vehicles is insane right now because you can't buy a new one unless you order it and wait forever for it to get here.

That's a really low threshold for a total loss. Sometimes insurance companies have a threshold lower than the state limit to guard against supplemental repairs, but to total a driveable car at 60% is nuts. Back when I was claim rep, Missouri had a 75% threshold, but my company totaled at 70%. Your company is paying because the 3rd party will take forever. They'll get their money back through subrogation, it shouldn't count as a loss against your policy.

If you can't afford t I burn it, you shouldn't be driving it. The $40,000 I would get if I totaled this truck wouldn't pay for the motor.
Motors are electric; an engine runs on fuel. But, I'll let it slide IF thats a Banks TT 5.7 Vortec 🤷‍♂️

ff2.png

This is what a totaled car looks like these days (with 9k dmg). My tin-foil hat is tingling that somehow I am getting screwed over this.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
If the undercarriage is twisted/bent it's totaled. Unibodies are not easy to straighten.
View attachment 7814809

This is what a totaled car looks like these days (with 9k dmg). My tin-foil hat is tingling that somehow I am getting screwed over this.
The cosmetic exterior can be replaced but that car would probably drive down the street sideways

I expect you're right. I ordered a new 2022 F350 diesel King Ranch in October. I just got it last week (4 month wait). Currently the same dealer has a 2020 F350 diesel Lariat (one lower trim level than mine) with 33,000 miles on it for sale with a price tag of $3K MORE than I paid for the brand new, zero-miles, higher trim level truck (well, 25 miles on it, not "zero"). There was not a single new truck on the lot for sale. The market for used vehicles is insane right now because you can't buy a new one unless you order it and wait forever for it to get here.
Just ordered a F-150 hybrid, looking at a 4 month wait.

That 7.2 KW generator and 12,000 lb max tow package are going to be sweet.

Reactions: AMGtuned
Why is YOUR insurance company paying you for an accident someone else is at fault for?
Your insurance company will pay you directly and go get reimbursed by the other guys insurance if it is found that he was at fault. If you get the deductible back, it is clearly the other guy’s fault. Sometimes that is paid after the facts and statements of the involved are reviewed

Last edited:
Reactions: Jefe's Dope
Great discussion and info. Any of you guy's want to research a bit deeper, here is a site to kick around on.

I've attempted to buy some things there and was way outbid... amazing how much a "parts car" is worth on today's markets.

I am shocked your insurance company went along with a repair instead of just scrapping the car . cost wise getting 9k worth of work to fix a 15k car was a waste of money when they could have doubled your rates and only paid you 3k to put on a new car that would have cost you 50k .