• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Anyone ever build on a Remington 600 action?

rookie7

Outdoorsman
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2009
Georgia
I have a Remington 600 I’m thinking of having a new barrel put on.

Is it worth putting money into? The rear tang is short and the screw is a small diameter. Looks like a pillar may have to be shaved on one side to bed it to keep it from touching the trigger housing.

I can get a stock from Boyd’s or McMillan. This would be a hunting rifle in 6.5 creed with a 24” medium to light Palma barrel are my thoughts.

It’s not all original so I’m not worried about the collector value.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good little actions, but everything will probably need to be dedicated Rem 600 based. I believe the 600 is close to the XP100 in size. The Rem Model 7 is similar but different enough to not be generally compatible. If you don't mind the extra issues associated with compatible parts, I think it would make a very nice little 6.5.

Here's some additional info: http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?88425-Rem-600-vs-model-7

i built a 6 mm br on one it’s incredibly accurate nice action as far as I’m concerned I would build on one again

600's make great lightweight rifles, both custom and as is. They had a reputation for accuracy, most likely due to Remington's quality at the time they were built and the fairly heavy barrel taper. The actions are identical to XP-100's, and few, if any, 700 action accessories or parts will fit. 600's bring pretty good money from collectors and hunters looking for a vintage light weight rifle. You should be able to sell it if its in decent condition for more than a new base 700 rifle. You would also save on the cost of build parts.

It’s a pawn shop find from many years ago. The guy said it had a Douglas barrel on it. It’s not factory, but there are no markings on it. It’s still in the original birch stock, and is chambered in 243.

I bought aluminum bottom metal for it a few years back. I was thinking of getting the Boyd’s pro varmint stock and pillar bending it. It has a great trigger already.

Hi, funny thing is I’m planning on building off a 600 mowhawk aswell, going to use a criterion remmagr barrel and the Boyd’s tacticool stock

Yes.. and they make GREAT little scout type rifles.

Pictures when I get home. It is a fantastic little gun to use as a base. Cheap, smooth, reliable. Compact.

There may still be a thread here under the Ruger Scout Rifle.... but may be on the old forum.

Buy one.... you can't go wrong as a starting action.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Found my pictures.... here is a little gun I built on a .308 600. Did the machine work myself. Used a cheap-o plastic stock from eBay. Now has a Trijicon 3 - 9 scope on it. But it's a great little piece I built when the Ruger Scout rifles were getting some crazy money. And did not perform 'great.' Just ok.

24173811_1297579450388699_1535043496294267287_o.jpg

[IMG2=JSON]{"alt":"No automatic alt text available.","data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/scontent.ffsd2-1.fna.fbcdn.net\/v\/t1.0-9\/24174405_1297579457055365_5394149227793302052_n.jpg?oh=1df020fbd83ffa4fc839a5ba5414e767&oe=5AA0B6ED"}[/IMG2]

This shows the metal bottom plate I bought off Gunbroker. Cost about $50 IIRC, but worth it. Metal is so much better than nylon!

24173095_1297579453722032_8930116109579418596_o.jpg
Muzzle brake soft-soldered in place. Barrel is a bit over 16" including the brake, which is pinned and soldered to be legal.

My TRG loads turn it into a muzzle-flash-kaboom howitzer. But I loaded up some faster-powder loads for it and they are really nice to shoot. Not Precision Rifle accurate... but deer accurate to any range you'd want for a safe .308 shot.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your build and post pictures. These are little dream rifles to work with.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Hi, funny thing is I’m planning on building off a 600 mowhawk aswell, going to use a criterion remmagr barrel and the Boyd’s tacticool stock

No problem with the Remage barrel fitting? Also what caliber, contour, and length are you considering?
thanks

Haven’t got the barrel yet, but from all I’ve read, the threads are same as a 700. Probably
going with a 24” Varmint contour, then going to use a model 7 ptg bottom metal, which requires you to drill and tap an action screw Hole further back on the tang. Lookup 600 mowhawk custom build on YouTube there’s a guy with a couple videos of his

I built a 6.5 creedmore out of one. Shoots like a mother! Heavy fluted barrel, timney trigger, mcmillan stock.

Its a steel trigger guard from a 700 adl. The mcmillan stock for a 600 doesnt take the original trigger guard/ bottom metal from the 600. But i had a steel one on the original stock. I dont remember the brand.

Starting work on this project now. I have a replacement bolt for the recoil lug.

Need some help on finding the size and thread pitch of the original bolt for the tang.

I think it’s a #8 but the pitch isn’t common to hardware stores.

Handy little rifles, not really popular these days though. I have 2, one on the left is a 6.5 Mag and the other is a .308. Killed my first deer with the 6.5, accurate little rifle, not a whole lot of fun to shoot though:)

413989410.jpg

Reactions: rookie7
Starting work on this project now.
Need some help on finding the size and thread pitch of the original bolt for the tang.
I think it’s a #8 but the pitch isn’t common to hardware stores.

It's a #8-36 of all things. Depending on what level of build you're looking at, I'd recommend re-drilling and tapping the rear action screw to 1/4-28 just like the other 40 million Rem 700s. It's what I did to my Rem Seven I'm currently building.

It's a #8-36 of all things. Depending on what level of build you're looking at, I'd recommend re-drilling and tapping the rear action screw to 1/4-28 just like the other 40 million Rem 700s. It's what I did to my Rem Seven I'm currently building.

Thank you for the help! Right now my goal is to get the rifle somewhat "stable". It is in the original wood stock which I have free floated. I'm going to drill the front action screw hole for a bedding pillar and bed that part. The tang area is going to be kinda tricky due to how close the screw is to the trigger housing and that area of the stock is unsupported. No wood between screw and trigger so the pillar will have to bond to the wood that is rear of the tang and I may have to shave off some of the pillar due to how close it is to the trigger housing.

Just trying to get it setup to be the next step for what my daughter is hunting with. The past 2 years she hunted with a 300 blackout, and now I'm wanting to step her up.

Lapua brass, Sierra 85gr bthp Gameking, and H4350 should be a good combo out of the rifle.

Unlike the model 7 the rear tang of the 600 is very short. I'm afraid if I have it drilled out to 1/4x28 it will weaken the tang too much. I don't know though - I'm not a gunsmith.