• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Anyone ever had a Sako that wouldn't shoot?

Chanonry

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2009
Aberdeen Scotland
I was at a gun show last weekend and one of the high profile custom gun makers in the UK tried to tell me that 'some Sako's shoot others don't'. I guess what that means is open to interpretation, but given even the hunting rifles are guaranteed to 1moa I was surprised at the comment. He also made some comments about an 'iffy recoil lug'.

I have two 75 Varmint's that definately 'shoot', so I would be interested in other's experience with them.

Andy

Re: Anyone ever had a Sako that wouldn't shoot?

Sako's that won't shoot??

Anything is possible, let's see I've owned Sako's in:

7x64
308 (several)
30-06
300 Win Mag
.338 Win Mag
9.3x62
.375 H&H

I can't remember any that shot badly. Of course of those I had, some were made in the 60's, most were 80's, and some 2000's.

Never owned one made in the 50's or 70's, 90's, so maybe they were "bad" years.

The rash of self-disassembling Sako Finnlights of a few years back, certainly did not do the company much good. But other than those incidents, quality and accuracy as always been high for Sako.

Bob

I have owned 4 or 5 Sako 75's in various calibers & they have all shot great!!

Never!!!!!! All of mine shot awesome!

I watched an A7 in 308 last week that wouldnt group under 2in at 100m, using remington corelocks, and a vxIII leupold.

JJ

Sako has a reputation for just the opposite. Sako rifles are are shooters, period.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jester308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I watched an A7 in 308 last week that wouldnt group under 2in at 100m, using remington corelocks, and a vxIII leupold.

JJ </div></div>

The weak link there is the ammo, best I've seen that stuff do in my 30-06 is 1.5" and this is a rifle that shoots 1/2" groups with handloads with startling frequency, 5/8"-3/4" is expected

We thought the same but it didnt do much better with Fed Tac 130gn HP's, and they pull .5in groups in my 700 and my mates sako75, he's a bit of a sako fanatic and reckoned he would never own an A7 after that.

JJ

I had a deluxe in 22-250 that was remarkably accurate for a sporter weight barrel. It was pretty too! I would love to have one in .308

Fullrifle-1.jpg

My father bought a Sako Forester 308 from a PH in South Africa around 1971, the good one with bofors barrel. I remember the PH had wounded many animals with it. The rifle always had a problem with a cold barrel. I got the rifle a few years ago after it had been lying around for decades. With a clean barrel it would not hit a piece of paper at 100yds, with a hot dirty barrel it could shoot 1.5".
Worst rifle I ever had. I had the rifle rebarreled by Roedale with a Lothar Walther barrel. Now it shoots.
I will not buy a sako, overrated euro mediocre rifle.
Get a howa, same quality at half the price, at least here. In both cases the stock must be thrown away anyway.
edi

All of the Sakos I've owned were shooters... but they were all WWII era... so things may have changed a tad, but I doubt it.

Have three 75 varmints all shoot great if I would have bought Sako in the begining I would probably own less guns. Bought many other brands that didnt shoot and bought same caliber again to find shooter. One comment stocks must be thrown away I think the varmint with palm swell is very comfortable and have nice checkering.

Just bought Tikka 595 varmint in 22-250 and put it in master sporter stock have not shot it yet but quality of work for price is good.

My Sako 75 .260 shoots as well as my customs.

I love my Sako's....most of them are pre Garcia's from the 60's and 70's and they all shoot as good or better than any other factory rifles I've owned.

Features include:
steel floorplate
adjustable triggers(really)
integrel recoil lug
solid bolt handle
side bolt release
hand cut checkering on nice wood

This is what the old models came with. Dont know much about the new ones.

Hmm, a guy that sells a rifle that competes for sales with Sako says "some don't shoot". Why would he say that I wonder?
Patrick

I bought a sako 75 fInnlight 300 (win mag) in 2004. I tried 10 different premium loads from Federal, Winchester, Black Hills, etc. It simply would not group better than 1.5 inches (first 3 shots) and then expanded to over 2 inches for shots 4 & 5. I tried dirty, clean, hot & cold. I tried sandbags, bipods, hard hold, free recoil with zero pressure. No luck. I just about cried.

I sent it back to Beretta with a nice letter and to their absolute credit, just replaced it flat out. The new one shoots. Got two hits out of two shots at 606 yards on an elk this year with it using federal premium in 180 TSX. Both shots were in the kill zone.

And that's why I like Sako. Everybody drops a turd now and then, it's what gets done about it that matters. Sako rocks! I've got a 75 300WSM that is scary accurate with 168gr TSX. Now if I could just save the cash for the Finnlight 7-08 that keeps calling my name........Patrick

I have Sako 75's in 6ppc, .204 Ruger, 22-250 HB , also Vixen .222's. They all shoot really well. All easily 1/2 moa. Sako makes a single shot .308 75/lam stock - I bet it is super accurate.

Got em in the form of:
2-6ppc's
2-22ppc's
1-243
2-22-250s
1-270
3-222's
2 Tikka Master sporters 7-08 & 223
1 25-06
1 22lr
And the old go to TRG 22 in 308

And all of them are lights out accurate!

I don't own a sako but my uncle and late grandfather own(ed) several and i have had the chance to shoot most of them and every one i shot would shoot around 1/2" at 100 yds these were all made some time in the 70's

308 Sako

That is a beautiful rifle !!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DODGE268</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmm, a guy that sells a rifle that competes for sales with Sako says "some don't shoot". Why would he say that I wonder?
Patrick</div></div>
Exactly where I was coming from. I have two 75 varmints that shoot better than some of the customs that are for sale over here. My view was he can shove his kit up his ass, but resisted the temptation to tell him that as I thought I should be sure before I made that 'policy'. I don't like companies that slag other's kit. I think it is bad business, and if I know it is B/S it makes me wonder what else is B/S.

My duty TRG 22 is most accurate out-of-the box rifle I have ever seen. Regularly shoots 1/3rd MOA or better. My Finnbear Deer rifle is also fantastic, if a bit heavy. Finns know how to make rifles that shoot!

Cheers,

Sirhr

My first centerfire rifle was a .22-250 mod 75. A friend told me about his new Sako .270. He shot a lot of deer with it. From a long way off... So I got one-I shoot varmints, so a 22-250 HB w / wood stock. It shoots better each year. I will never sell it. It's like a part of me.

I've seen an out of the box TRG 22 outshoot some "big name" custom guns.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hiddenshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've seen an out of the box TRG 22 outshoot some "big name" custom guns..... </div></div>

+100

bought a Coltsman 60ish 30-06 in '83 with a shot out bbl. It had a perfect Sako L61R action so I bought it for $90. Now has Douglas Match bbl, floated/bedded, trigger 3lb VariX-III Mildot shoots beautifully...and looks pretty nice too :)
[img:center]http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=77360&l=5035ad03cf&id=1817827371[/img]

I have a TRG 22 that shoots better than my custom guns. It is by far my favourite rifle to shoot. If I could use it as my duty gun, I would be ecstatic, however my dept does not allow the use of personal rifles, you shoot what they issue, period.

I love my 80's 270 Fiberclass. I had the same issue for many years...cheep factory ammo was only good for 2moa. Leadslead and handloads and it is truely remarkable what sub 1/2moa 5 shot groups a 30 year old light hunting rifle will do.

It tears me apart to even be shopping for my next gun when it does so well. Maybe a TRG...?

I have a harington & Richards that is a re badged sako in 17 remington with a pencil thin barrel with maybe 3000 rounds down it and it still consistantly shoots 1/4MOA