• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone ever made their own knives?

BenY 2013

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2012
SW Arkansas
I have made a few, but I don't think I ever got the tempering correct and the last two never really took an edge. I am thinking of just buying a blank from knife kits and making a handle for it. I don't really have the time to start from scratch. Just wanted to see what you guys have done? Thanks

Ben

I send out the blades to a heat treating company. This company hardens, tempers and does a cryogenic treatment if ordered. I pay 8 Euros per blade for a perfect result. So I never saw the needt to harden my blades myself.
Just ask at the bladeforums, you will be helped. Tons of info, spend some time reading before asking questions.

I send out the blades to a heat treating company. This company hardens, tempers and does a cryogenic treatment if ordered. I pay 8 Euros per blade for a perfect result. So I never saw the needt to harden my blades myself.
Just ask at the bladeforums, you will be helped. Tons of info, spend some time reading before asking questions.

My only issue is I never knew what type of metal it was... Do you think a place like this could figure it out for me if I sent them my blade and then harden and temper for me? I love the design, just isn't sharp...

Ben

That is complicating the process. Is it maybe a low alloy carbon steel? Then it is very forgiving. Harden it like 1080 for example

1080+ Info - AKS™

If it is a stainless or high alloy variant, you can only harden it satisfactorily if you know the exact alloy.
If it contains under 0,45% Carbon, no way to harden it as a novice.

You can estimate the C-content with a good eye in a dark room through the kind of sparks the steel generates on a grinder.
An example
Google-Ergebnis für http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/25/Spark_testing_2.png

need to know what type of steel to get the temper right. Remember temper involves hardening then heating holding the temp and then slow cooling........Pm if you want to discuss specifics............Good Luck nothing like taking a piece of raw steel and making it shave!!!

I`ve made several.... out of several different materials.......most turned out better in my opinion and useage than purchased.Pretty rewarding to field dress deer/elk/moose with a knife you made yourself.....I now use A2 air hardening tool steel and heat treat myself...getting it about 45-50 Rc... similar to a tap or die......carbon steel takes and holds an edge better in my opinion than stainless.

[MENTION=19846]chainring[/MENTION] makes knives and sells occasionally here. I think he uses Pete's heat treat, which is a well-known, reputable outfit that does heat treat work for a lot of custom knife makers.

I'm not a knife maker, but understand metals well. O1 is my favorite blade steel. You've got to be careful to keep it from rusting, but aside from its lack of corrosion resistance, nothing is better.

I've made a few from giant files/rasps.
I just heated the edge up a bit and cool them in oil.
Not sure if it's perfect but I've been pleased.

I contacted one of the heat treating companies and they said they thought they could determine the type of steel it is. I think I am going to send it their way and see what they can do, not really anything to lose.

Ben