• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone ever rebarrel their Savage Mark II?

XxMerlinxX

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2007
Columbia, S.C.
I've got a Savage Mark II that as the barrel heats up, the zero tends to wander. Lately I've been playing around with the idea of rebarreling it to see if that fixes the problem. Anyone ever have this done or know of a shop that could do it?

Re: Anyone ever rebarrel their Savage Mark II?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JelloStorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had thought about it but I do not know if you'd gain anything by doing it.</div></div>

In my case, if I could get it to stop wandering when heating up, that's all I'd really want.

I used a GM 77/22 fluted taper barrel on mine. Shoots fantastically, somehow almost on par with my 40xb when both use Wolf Match Extra. I haven't shot it in a while because it started to develop an extracting issue with the wolf ammo, but seems to work flawlessly on Federal Bulk stuff. I think I know why too, and that might of been my fault when I had the barrel in the lathe. Being small light weight, and functioning better with the bulk ammo, it's just become my carry around squirrel gun.

imag0345tv.jpg

Ha, I was using the light from the sliding door that they are pointing at so I could torque my rings down and make sure my crosshairs didn't drift and stayed level. The garage was cold, so I stayed in the living room.

how easy is it to remove the oem barrel ? Looking at my savage mark II fv-sr, it does not look very easy to do.

This thread could get sticky.... Would love to see a a step by step of some one
Rebarrling a savage mkII

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bubb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thread could get sticky.... Would love to see a a step by step of some one
Rebarrling a savage mkII </div></div>

I'd like to see that as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Impact</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how easy is it to remove the oem barrel ? Looking at my savage mark II fv-sr, it does not look very easy to do. </div></div>

All I had to do was remove two pins. Quick taps with a punch and hammer on the pins and the barrel slid right out.

Installing the new one was as simple as turning the diameter down to fit into the receiver while slowly pushing the shoulder back enough to be of the correct headspace. Basically just put the headspace gauge in and close the bolt with the new barrel resting in place. If the new barrel stayed exactly where it was, the shoulder needed to be pushed back a bit more. Test again until you notice the barrel get pushed out by the slightest amount upon closing the bolt with the gauge in there. Then you know the shoulder is back enough. I applied some dyed black accraglass on there, let the barrel set over night with the gauge and bolt in there, then followed up by setting the barrel action on the mill to drill out the slots to put the two original pins back in.

Was a rather quick and simple process after a few measurements were taken off of the action.

great info. thanks. Do you have any pictures of the installation ?