• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Anyone Ever taken a Oryx?

5RWill

Optics Fiend
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 15, 2009
    Mississippi
    3820_file_Oryx_Thomson.jpg

oryx-gazella--oryx-gazella.jpg

Love these animals they're absolutely gorgeous IMO. Supposedly hard to kill and elusive to track also.

Thinking of trying to plan a trip around the spring of either this or a Elk. Mainly i just want to go on a Big Game hunt outside of freaking MS. Man i get tired of hills and delta land.

Re: Anyone Ever taken a Oryx?

Ive taken quite a few one of my favorite animals to hunt. Looks like females in the pics you posted they tend to have less horn mass than males but grow long. I would recommend hunting them to anyone if given the chance.

They are very hardy animals and if not hit right can go a long ways. Helped track another hunter's one for miles before catching up to it and finishing it.

Best wishes on your hunt and be sure to post when you are done.

Aloha!

I watched a hunt on the outdoor channel that mentioned they were difficult to kill. The one that the hunter got was hit with a .300 Wby and ran quite some ways. Although i can't remember if shot placement was that great.

great choice if you make it happen. can be very hard to kill and very dangerous once wounded. Lots of places to hunt them in texas and the missle base in New Mexico. hard to get a tag for the base but not impossible, I think they run $2500.00 for the missle base and all over the place price wise in Texas. great eating and make a beautiful mount. I agree the 2 photos you have are females and the males will more stocky and even tougher to bring down. shot placement is very important and like all african game that is eaten by lions and such thier will to live is much greater than our deer and elk, and once wounded you can play hell trying to get another shot at them. very rewarding critter when all said and done...

For Graduation of highschool i really wanted a Elk hunt. Knowing my Father had been to colorado and talking about how awesome it was. Now he isn't in the shape he used to be and i've discovered this beautiful animal. I figured makes sense. He can't take the cold and it's something i'd really want him to do with me, so seems like it would work. Both this and Elk hunting is on my to do list though

Whats the meat comparable to?

My uncle took one in Wyoming when we worked in the oil fields.
    22-250 head shot at about 300 yards.

Taste like deer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My uncle took one in Wyoming when we worked in the oil fields.
    22-250 head shot at about 300 yards.

Taste like deer. </div></div>

Where did you find Oryx in Wyoming? Ranch?

Trust me I'm trying. Whats the weather like there in the spring? I want this to be a father/son ordeal. Not like it's going to be hard to get me to go, it's just my dad, could throw it in as a 21st birthday type thing too hehe. I would love to take one with my Sako 85 as it needs some use. Very nice PSYOPS

im supposed to go shoot one on my buddys place in south texas. i plan on taking my 700 .308. i have taken a nilgai with it in one shot so im not too worried. the oryx supposedly have extremely thick skin though.

My sako 85 is a .260 rem. I guess i could be a little worried. I haven't taken game with it yet (yes, its sort of a safe queen) but i'm starting to let some things slide and take it out now. Had it not rained today i was going to test a 130gr triple shock on a doe
    smile.gif

http://trophyridgeoutfitters.net/oryx-hunts/

Honestly if it's 2 grand both Dad and I (if i'm the only one hunting) doesn't seem like a bad deal. Lodging and meals, and it's in the Gila National Forest so it should be a traditional hunt. I had someone mention over at the firingline that their father killed one but it was on a ranch and really didn't really measure as a hunt so to speak.

MAN...talk about beautiful animals!

How do these things taste, and does the meat flavor resemble anything you've had before?

Apparently as good or better than Deer. They sure are beautiful!

I killed one in Africa. It was a all day hunt to spot and stalk a herd of Gemsbuck. It was the funniest hunt I had in Africa.

Yes
    gemsedit.jpg

As always put a good bullet in the right spot and they aren't that hard to kill. Here's a 200gr Accubond from my 300RUM.
    DSC02333.jpg

DSC02331.jpg

Not sure how the North American ones taste but the SA one's are delicious. Better than any beef of venison I've had. Was told they can be dangerous or wounded at least the SA variety. Guess the NA one's might not be as bad since they dont have as many critters after'm.

all of them are outstanding from the Oryx family to eat...give away your deer and keep the oryx. can be very dangerous wounded no matter where they live, and more than one tracker and or hunter in Africa has suffered the rath of the ends of those black horns being impailed into them from a wounded Oryx. hit them right should be no problem, wound them, can be a very long day. Go get you some and post up the smiles!

I would have to say the top pic is definitely a female and the bottom pic might be a male. I have hunted them a few times and have a couple mounts. If you put in for the NM draw once in a lifetime hunt, it is a really good hunt. The best shot on them is thru the shoulder, their vitals are all between the shoulders not behind the shoulder like all of the North American big game animals. They are very hearty animals and I have seen them run close to 10 miles after being hit with 338 win. They have large lungs and a very large adrenal gland. Their hide is very tough and they are very wary animals. The meat is excellent, better than any elk I have ever had. Hope that the hunt works out for you, they are definitely a trophy. I used to work on the missile range and those animals will charge vehicles and are very aggressive. Definitely do some research on them prior to your hunt so that you can take a trophy, they are tricky to judge. Also, take either a Havalon scalpel knife or several good sharp knives. Stay away from ballistic and soft point bullets they will barely penetrate the hide and definitely will not bust the shoulder.

Whats they're hide comparable to? Cows? I don't mean that in a sarcastic sense either, i have cows and they're hide is amazingly tough as opposed to anything else around here. Seen several 18 gauge needles bend when we're treating some sick ones.

thier hide is very tough as all african animals, I have skinned many as a taxidermist and hunter, have the best stuff, knives and bullets and you will be fine. I also use the scapel type small knives and resharpen the blades as I go. the hide around the neck and shoulder area is extremly thick and tough, to protect them while fighting for girls.

I pulled a White Sands Missile range tag in 2010 it’s once in a lifetime tag. It’s a fast paced two day hunt one well worth putting your name in the hat for.

According to the New Mexico Game and Fish Place the horizontal line of your scope on the black stripe and your vertical on the center of the front shoulder. The heart on a Oryx is father forward than a deer. If you shoot one behind the front shoulder you just gut shot it and you are in for a long day of tracking.

I used a 338 win mag 210 grain Barnes TTSX worked great and the meat is fantastic.

I shot one in Namibia years ago. Fantastic eating. They are served in the nicer restaurants in Windhoek.

Some nice pictures there!

Cheers,
    Richard

If you want to hunt an Oryx here in the US, you better hurry up! US Fish & Game just decided to place the Oryx, Dama Gazelle and Addax under the same permitting system that they have for the Barasingha deer. This will go into effect in April. Here in Texas (and I'm sure every other state) ranches are offering Oryx hunts CHEAP because they're wanting to kill off most, if not ALL, of their Oryx before the change goes into effect. Hunts can be found very cheaply right now and the price will be plummeting. The ruling just came down about a week ago - you can read here: Exotic Wildlife Association. I run a large hunting ranch here in south Texas and even though we don't have any, many of our neighbors do; and many of them are scrambling to sell/kill every Oryx they have.

The government is very stingy with permits and ranches do not want to stock these animals without the ability to cull their numbers because they are large and are very bullish with whitetail and other exotic species. I've heard of ranches offering gold medal Oryx for as little as $1500. It will take a while for price drops to hit the internet. So, I would look for US Oryx hunts and call places you are interested in and inquire what effect the new ruling will have on their hunting and their prices. They're a fun animal to hunt but this may be your last chance!

I've taken four in Namibia, the big one was a 42" female. They didn't seem especially hard to kill. Aim lower, their heart and lungs lay against their sternum (yours would too if you were on all fours). Punched through those they lay down and die. I used a 9.3, shot 11 head of big game, at least 15 shots in and got two bullets back.

Blue wildebeest are tough...

I have been watching for several years to see just how this ruling was going to play out. the Scimitar Oryx was placed on the endangered species list by our lovely tree hugging lobyist and addopted into law several years back and had been in appeals every since. all ranches in Texas and every where else have been hoping that it would be overturned. the above posting is not good news and hopefully there will still be an overruling on this case. THIS is only for the Scimitar Oryx and not the Gemsbok Oryx, but they may all be right behing them. Rumor has it that after this is put into solid law that Black Buck, Axis deer, Fallow deer, Aoudad, and all other exotics will follow right behind. If this gets passed into law it will give the antis alot of power to move forward on the rest, pray it does not. Remember they want to take away all of our hunting. So if you want a Scimitar now is the time before April, and the prices may drop like crazy. Gemsbok Oryx are still going to be higher until they hit the list also.