• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

anyone ever teach themselves to shoot left handed?

Smcarroll

gun nut
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2011
Montana/Wyoming
So long story short, my right arm is messed up. Muscle damage in my shoulder, torn rotator cuff and nerve damage. I am facing a major career change, but what worries me most is my shooting. I am already fairly ambidextrous, it comes with the territory. Since I will be off work for a while I figure now is as good a time as any to learn. Any tips or tricks?

It is not a problem, just takes some time. Guns were easy. Bow was a different story. I could not hit crap for about 2 years. Eventually you don't notice and it becomes muscle memory. Then when you go back, you are ambidextrous in those items.

Best tip I can give is watch your carry position. It is so natural to throw your rifle over your shoulder like you always do. It needs to be set up so you grab it left handed. It isoing to take some time and thought to keep you from doing it and it is going to take some time and thought about shouldering your rifle left handed. You are just going to want to do it right handed for a while and will have to force yourself to do it left.

Yep, start with a .22 pistol and switch left handed .22 bolt gun...and train to be left eye dominant while you're at it?
The pistol will help with eye dominance. I'd also suggest starting with an eye patch or masking tape over your right eye or glasses lens.

Facing a major career change and he's worried about his shooting.

This guy is all right in my book.

And they are right. When I was young I forced myself to do things ambi, especially throw, catch and hit a baseball (I read "The Kid Who Batted 1.000) It just take a lot of practice. Eventually I got to where I could do better lefty than most could do with their dominate side.

Good fortune, bro.

The same basics apply whether you shoot right, or left handed. When I had shoulder surgery I face the same problem. The biggest issue was dealing being right eye dominant, and right hand dominant. With most pistol shooting, I could still use my right eye, but of course, that wouldn't work with rifle. So, I figured out why not try and train myself to be as completely left handed as possible.

Here are a few of the things that helped me...although many are basic, and you probably already know them, I found that I had to be extra conscious of doing things correctly.

1. Go really slow and do things correctly so you build the CORRECT muscle memory. If you start out fast and do it wrong, you will only learn to do it wrong faster.

2. Don't work on the easy stuff too much. Work on it just long enough so you can move on to more difficult drills. Work on the harder stuff like weak side reloads, malfunction clearing, one handed shooting, clearing malfunctions, one handed shooting, barricade work, shooting from the ground and rising, shooting while getting to cover, and so on.

3. Regardless of which drill you do, concentrate on doing it slowly and perfectly. Speed will happen in it's own time. Building CORRECT muscle memory is more important than speed.

4. Keep in mind that when under great stress, you do NOT "rise to the occasion", rather you default to the lowest level of your training. The point here is to train to do things correctly, no matter how darned difficult it is. Keep doing the exercises/drills CORRECTLY. Once muscle memory is drilled into your unconscious mind, the drills will feel easier. You won't need to concentrate on them the same way you used to, because your unconscious mind will help.

Thanks maggot. I am a code welder. I use both hands a lot when I am at work, its a skill I have developed. I am probably just going to get my papers as a CWI, its always been a planned career move, I just didn't plan on it being this soon. Besides, what is a job besides a way to get money for more guns?

I have practiced pistol shooting left handed, your right hand isn't always going to work and your life may depend on your left. I think the left eye dominance will be hardest. I am thinking the eye patch idea might work. At least this gives me the excuse to go holster shopping right?

I too have had to learn myself to shoot "wrong-handed". For all disciplines, as I have lost the ability to shoot with my dominant eye. Which is the Right one. All my life, it has been right, in all ways.

Now, things are wrong.

And over these past few years of this being necessary, I have found (so far) that simply starting over, and doing everything you know as the right and correct way, except now do it wrong and the incorrect way. For the same reason as we know a certain entity was of a certain motif because the book about him was in English, the fact that firearms are meant to be used correctly and properly on the Right side is because they are all designed as such.

All joking aside, (and please tell me ya'll got that/those jokes))))) having to transition over to the left side is massively unorthodox, at first. Everything seems backwards, upside-down, demonic, and it will give you the 'heebey-jeebees' but over time and repetition, it will start to become 'natural' again. The more you practice both at the range and dry-firing at home, the better/easier/faster the transition will be.

At the same time though, you'll remember each time how good you were the 'other way' and want it back. They say that such lessens over time. Maybe, but not yet. Not for me. Shooting wrong-handed is possible, but it is different.

Good Luck.

I am right handed but I shoot rifles left handed cause I'm pretty blind in right eye shooting rifles were left handed was fairly easy but I can't seem too shoot pistols left handed I always want too use my right I work on that just by pulling it out and aiming with only left hand helps a little but still have the urge to use right hand

I was a coach for the AK NG Rifle team for several years, in dong so I had to coach left handed shooters so I had to learn. Also taught Sniper Schools when we used M1C/D's which as you know has an offset scope.

Having left handed shooters complain that the Garand wouldn't work for lefties, I fired the course left handed. If I, a Righty can do it, then lefties need to stop whining.

I still coach and instruct (Mostly CMP GSM Clinics and Self defense pistol classes) so I still practice left handed so I can get lefties into positions.

As for SD pistol classes I'm a firm believer in one handed shooting. About 40% of the shooting is with the weak hand.

What's fun is lefties that are right eye dominant. Its doable if you find a good coach to get you there. There are few handicaps that cant be over come with a good coach.

Being a righty and something happens, just do things backwards (as far a sling and position 'n such). Its no excuse to stop shooting.

Many years ago, ( I think about '76-77) I was shot in my right hand, when I went back to work I had four fingers on my right hand tapped together and learned to cross draw (from my right side duty holster which want a cross draw holster.

I was in the squad room when the Sgt asked to see me draw, I did but he wasn't impressed, told me to go to supply and get a left handed holster. I did, plus a couple cases of 357 ammo and spent several days in the range until I got to the point I was as good with my left hand as I was my right.

Its doable, you just have to have a reason and the "WANT TO".

I read an a CMP article a while back about a young man who had a 1903A1 receiver come apart. The result was the shooter losing his right eye. Through practice and sheer determination he re-taught himself to shoot left handed and had attained the classification of master. Now there's a guy who loves to shoot!

No, but when I was 7, I basically shattered my right hand. It went several days before it could be 'fixed', and I underwent full sedation and reconstructive surgery. I spent a good part of the ensuing year in a series of splints and casts. Remember, this was early 1950's medicine.

Perforce, I was compelled to become a lefty for that time. I wrote, sketched, and otherwise lived my life as a lefty.

When my hand was finally freed, it was a glove size smaller and decidedly weaker (not for long, thank Providence).

Handedness, then and for quite some time, was optional, and to this day, I still I still occasionally do things 'wronghanded'.

To me, it's not about 'right' or 'wrong' hands, it's about 'different'.

As for eye dominance, I see things as being about what's 'normal'. Instead of shooting with translucent tape over the 'wrong' eye's lens, try leaving those glasses on for considerably more time. 'Right' and 'wrong' may simply become 'different'. Most of use have two relatively good eyes and hands. How wasteful to only use one of each.

The good part is that nothing harmful has been done.

When shooting a handgun left handed, I shoot almost as badly as I do right handed.

Greg

PS, I have always used the mouse lefty.

Last edited:
busted my arm in 95'....was paid to make dwgs. in 3d..... had to adapt to using mouse in left hand......once you get it thru your head...you got to.... YOU CAN......after that... I practice shooting rifle/pistol..weak side...... Shot a deer 2 yrs. ago L.Handed...out of a tree stand....
IF YOU LOSE YOUR GOOD ARM/SIDE......YOU ARE NOT OUT OF THE FIGHT...... EASIER WHEN PRACTICED ABIT......

Having to qual with a G22 at 25y, weak side/weak eye braced against a barracade, and clear a bay, weak hand non braced, was an eye opener. I've never fired weak side before.

Last edited:
I made myself feel better by buying a big loop Rossi mares leg in 44 magnum, it was 400$ used at the gun store today. I plan on getting an eye patch and tying down my right arm, then hitting the range.

As far as handguns go, I give about 1/4-1/3 of my training to left handed drawing and shooting. Some competitions require an offhand event or two and if you talk about like a self defense situation, your right hand could be tied up handling someone, requiring an offhand draw and shot.

I'm infantry in the army, so they made us learn rudimentary left handed shooting from the prone with our rifles, was easy to pick up, never got too good at it though from lack of practice. If you put the time in, you'll be just as good as you were right handed with relative ease.

Yep, start with a .22 pistol and switch left handed .22 bolt gun...and train to be left eye dominant while you're at it?
The pistol will help with eye dominance. I'd also suggest starting with an eye patch or masking tape over your right eye or glasses lens.

You're not saying train to be "other eye" dominant are you? Because that's naturally built in and there isn't anything you can do about it (I don't think, and I'm pretty sure about this). One eye naturally points straight and the other is off a little for depth perception. You can't change this with an eye patch, the eye patch is for folks that have been shooting right hand but are left eye dominant (so they patch the right eye and learn left hand). You always want to use the naturally dominant eye no matter what and there's a little test you can do if you're not sure.

You may be at a disadvantage if both right hand and right eye dominant. Maybe someone who has gone through this would be more helpful, I know you can become adept left handed, but I don't think you can change your eye dominance. I have seen some folks shoot left handed but with optics on modified mounts for the right eye. That may be an option. Then it's just practice shooting left hand so it becomes natural. That'll take a LOT of ammo and time, dryfiring, etc., so be patient and invest in a pellet rifle or .22 to start with to save money. My opinion on the matter anyway.

I couldn't shoot worth a damn before so I don't have much to build back up to. I am thinking I will start carrying my g22. With a 30 round magazine and mount a fastfire II on it. I have some airsoft replicas I use to teach my killer cadets the basics of shooting. They are surprisingly realistic and I can use them in my yard.

Ocular Dominance.

Treatment

It is possible to change eye dominance by actively suppressing the visual field of the dominant eye. This is achieved with an eye patch bandage that covers the dominant eye, with adhesive tape around the patch perimeter.

Another form of treatment is laser eye surgery.

The eye patch does not need to be black to blot out all light, and the dominant eye does not need to stay closed. The eye patch simply presents the dominant eye with a static unchanging visual field containing nothing of visual importance, and the brain is forced to rely on the suppressed eye for visual information.

The experience does cause irritation and frustration for the eye patch wearer since their visual capabilities for comprehension will be reduced until the brain starts to adapt to not being able to use the dominant eye.

You're not saying train to be "other eye" dominant are you? Because that's naturally built in and there isn't anything you can do about it (I don't think, and I'm pretty sure about this). One eye naturally points straight and the other is off a little for depth perception. You can't change this with an eye patch, the eye patch is for folks that have been shooting right hand but are left eye dominant (so they patch the right eye and learn left hand). You always want to use the naturally dominant eye no matter what and there's a little test you can do if you're not sure.

You may be at a disadvantage if both right hand and right eye dominant. Maybe someone who has gone through this would be more helpful, I know you can become adept left handed, but I don't think you can change your eye dominance. I have seen some folks shoot left handed but with optics on modified mounts for the right eye. That may be an option. Then it's just practice shooting left hand so it becomes natural. That'll take a LOT of ammo and time, dryfiring, etc., so be patient and invest in a pellet rifle or .22 to start with to save money. My opinion on the matter anyway.

Um yes, you can train to be dominant in one eye...at least most human can....one experiences nausea and headaches during the eyepatch process....

So long story short, my right arm is messed up. Muscle damage in my shoulder, torn rotator cuff and nerve damage. I am facing a major career change, but what worries me most is my shooting. I am already fairly ambidextrous, it comes with the territory. Since I will be off work for a while I figure now is as good a time as any to learn. Any tips or tricks?

After my shooting, my right hand & arm was useless for about 1 year. Due to the fact that I had no choice but to start using my left hand to do everything, it was amazing how quickly my body adapted. Starting writing left handed fairly legibly within a few weeks, and was able to draw my pistol (left side holster) and actually shoot left hand only and passed our pistol qualification course within a few months. It's amazing what you can do.....

In times past when I had rotator-cuff problems I'd just pick up my Sharps 50/90...load some 720 gr. cast bullets ahead of 120 grs. blackpowder and after 50 rounds fired on the range....all was well!!

I'm actually left handed (for writing and most other tasks) - but I've always shot a gun right handed since I am apparently right eye dominant. I practice shooting left handed regularly - but I am not even close to being good at it. I will say that I am better at shooting left handed than I used to be, but it's still just not natural and takes repetition to get to where you want to be just like anything else.

Well I have had some good news. rotator cuff is fine, but i have muscle damage in my right shoulder and arthritis due to an injury in my t-6/7 is causing a pinched nerve. doc says I might not even need surgery and I will be back to normal soon.