• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Anyone ever use a Vietnam era ART scope?

Prebanpaul

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2009
Akron Ohio Summit
I have a very good friend who is an army sniper (from Vietnam) with a bronze star and a couple of purple hearts. I have been taking him out shooting lately mid range distance 700-1000 yards. He has a m1a and keeps talking about this ART scope. I have tried to find a little bit about the scope. So if you have any information on one I would like to know. I have seen them in price from $700-1000 on bidding web sites with no bids. So what can I expect to actually pay for one. I am looking to purchase one for him.

Leatherwood/Malcolm makes some form of an ART scope. Im not sure if it is an exact repro or in anyway similar to the originals.

I have a very good friend who is an army sniper (from Vietnam) with a bronze star and a couple of purple hearts. I have been taking him out shooting lately mid range distance 700-1000 yards. He has a m1a and keeps talking about this ART scope. I have tried to find a little bit about the scope. So if you have any information on one I would like to know. I have seen them in price from $700-1000 on bidding web sites with no bids. So what can I expect to actually pay for one. I am looking to purchase one for him.

Yes, and if you are interested in how they work, I recently sold a MPC (civilian form of it, kind of) to KraigWy. He might be good enough to send some pics.

In any case there are two forms of that scope purchased by the military. The ART, (Adjustable Ranging Telescope) and the ART II. It's a second focal plane scope that as you dial up in power, the reticle matches a given size. The breakthrough with these scopes is that they sat in a spring loaded base and had a cam attached to the power ring. As you dial up the power, you also push up the elevation setting. The ART used a second crosshair that was I believe 18" between it and the main horizontal crosshair. The ART II used a reticle with wider outer crosshairs of a given thickness 1 mil?

In any case, the big thing with them was the "camputer" dialing up elevation as you dialed up in power. Original ART's can run up to 1g. if they are original/mint and have provenance. About the same with ART II's. MPC and ART 1000 (another civilian version) can be had around $300-$400. It depends on how original you want to get.

Here is an old pic of the reticle I had:

Last edited: