• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Anyone familiar with Ruger m77 1980’s era need some help

408w

Private
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2017
Western ny
I will post a few pics below, ask if you need a pic of something. Long story short, a friend asked me to mount a new scope on a family members rifle and also mentioned that it’s not ejecting spent cases ( case gets extracted and lays there sometimes causing a jamb).
How does this gun eject cases? (first m77 I have looked at)
From research it appears to be a transition m77 to m77 mark 2.

Tang safety
No plunger on bolt face
Labeled “Ruger m77” on rifle

Hear are some pics. How does the rifle case ejection work on this gun. Trying to learn something here and there is no good information on the web to explain.
EBBC2725-252B-499E-8AF4-8EEFF1EB92FA.jpeg7EAAC446-3076-4827-82A4-763707838F55.jpeg
What is this slot on the bottom of the bolt?

Attachments

• 00916E83-D331-4BB1-9D1D-2FB1A4CF04ED.jpeg
    00916E83-D331-4BB1-9D1D-2FB1A4CF04ED.jpeg
    328.8 KB · Views: 81
That is the slot for the ejector to ride in ( it is positioned about 5 o'clock on the bolt face in the picture ).
ruger-scout-gunsite-extractor.jpg

Your ejector may be sticking ( or absent if someone has fooled with it ).

Reactions: Average guy
Tang safety Ruger’s did not come with manual ejectors; as stated above it should have a plunger ejector.

They changed over to plunger ejector with the MK II. I have had a few of each, and still have a tang safety m77 in 270.

Maybe a smith tried to convert it? Post a pic of the bolt face.

Disclaimer- I’m not a Ruger Historian so my first statement could be incorrect.

He needs to pull the bolt back faster, it has a manual ejector.

I’ve ran the bolt back at various rates on the bench and even running it way faster than you would/could while shouldered the shell case stays put

Tang safety rifle with a non tang safety bolt shroud.
And I believe the bolt handle should be blued.

The serial numbers match making you feel it's a "leftover parts" gun?

Last edited:
Tang safety rifle with a non tang safety bolt shroud.
And I believe the bolt handle should be blued.

The serial numbers match making you feel it's a "leftover parts" gun?

I noticed that also. Bolt shroud is for a MK-II and is marked as such.

Also, an 80s M-77 bolt handle would be blued and probably have turned plum by now.

OP, check the serial number on the bolt vs the receiver. The only way they will match is if someone re-etched the number on it.

I think the bolt is a conversion by a smith. Compare how far the ejector slot is from the firing pin hole in both pics. Post 3 and 7

The more I look, the more confused I am. Two photos stolen from the net. Both styles. (well, all three)

rsperfect_102605b.jpg

(Mauser, Ruger, Remington) Ruger cut farther from center.

Below, closer to center.
Ruger M77 Mk. II and M77 bolt faces.jpg

I think the bolt is a conversion by a smith. Compare how far the ejector slot is from the firing pin hole in both pics. Post 3 and 7

I think the difference you are comparing is a non magnum bolt face in one pic to the one I have is a win mag.

This is a pic of my 1978 M77V I sold a few years ago, action was a purple color and barrel and bolt handle
were dark blue. I thought it had a manual ejector but it did not it has a plunger that you can see in the parts
schematic D-8 D-9. This particular example showed superb workmanship in the fit and finish.

1689016880374.png

1689016747820.png

Its junk.

Give ya $6 plus shipping…. 😉

Have you ever noticed when people ask for advice, they rarely follow through with the answers given.

The OPs bolt is incorrect, but modified to work.
It's clear that the bolt is a MK-II, yet the serial number request has gone completely ignored.

Oh well, if the OP won't take yer money, I have about $3.00 and a bit of loose change I can loan you to boost your offer if needed.

• Haha
Reactions: FuhQ and Bakwa
Might want to head over to the Rugerforum.com and ask around. Lots of folks there work with 77’s. This rifle sure looks like its not right.

Reactions: spife7980
Well, as others have stated, the M77 tang safety were all push feed bolts with the extractor plunger button in the bolt face, they stopped making them in 84.

What you are showing is a m77 tang safety with a modified bolt, so a gun smith had to re-build the bolt ( looks like a m77 bolt head, with a mkII bolt face) and placed a fixed blade extractor in the back of the magazine. So as stated the serial numbers will not match anymore.

On edit, the bolt head is from a mkII as well, it looks like the firing pin shroud is from an old m77 bolt, it doesn't have the indent for the 3 position safety.

On the m77, when the bolt was pulled back the shell would eject as soon as the neck cleared the port, now with this modification, the shell is ejected when the bolt is pulled back to its stop point.

sgtsmmiii is showing you a picture of what you should see when the bolt is all the way back, and if you are not seeing this then the extractor is sticking or absent as he stated.

Last edited:
OP disappeared 3 weeks ago.

Probably asking the same questions on the Ruger forum and still not providing requested info.

With that said, the OPs bolt is from a MK-2. His action is a tange safety model. They don't belong together, but it works to fire it.

Edited to fix the fucking auto-incorrect.

Last edited: