• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

anyone for New Holland Rifle match feb 20th?

Re: anyone for New Holland Rifle match feb 20th?

cluebat awesome pics great job now my wife can see what its all about

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m249</div><div class="ubbcode-body">gotta say the day was fun and yes us ny boys will be back great shooting and great bunch of guys first formal match and it was a blast fast action and plenty of challenging stages. the only issue i had was being rushed at the end of the day. i understand time constraint and trying to get everyone one through but i dont feel at any point guys should be rushed to finish the day.it was also good to see where i compare to guys that have done this alot more than me. im hooked </div></div>

I'm sorry if you felt that way.

Stress and discomfort are part of the experience!
wink.gif

We need to have the range open by a certain time for club members and it takes a lot of creativity and organization to maximize the experience enjoyed within that window. Letting people check zero at the beginning of the day left us with some debt that had to be paid for later on.

You may get hurried or rushed from time to time in this type of competition. As long as it's not done in an insulting way, it's pretty much par for the course. You never want to be the last one ready, or the last one to pack up your gear and be ready to move.

It feels more and more natural and less and less rushed as you continue to do it. You will find yourself immediately preparing, mentally and gear-wise for the next stage as soon as you are done shooting the current one.

The upstate NY squad was great people. You guys were a lot of fun, fit in very well, did a GREAT job in the pits, and I hope you come back down to our fine state again.

I also enjoyed the pics cluebat. I wish I had held you out for the other relay. I didn't realize you were sequestering yourself in the pits.

--Fargo007

Oh, I wasn't sequestering myself so much as I wanted to see what the pits were like, and to help out where I could.
smile.gif

I'm pretty new to precision rifle stuff, so my objective was to learn as much as I could and get a feel for the club before my Safety Orientation this week.

Thanx for the compliments Fargo. I'm a bit new to the precision (Sniper) type shoots. I've shot high power silhouette and the steel at TVP before, but nothing like this. It was my first time shooting movers, other than the occasional coyote that's trying to get away.

For the movers in the future could we paint a number 1, 2, and 3 on the dogs? My dog and plate were the first to pop up in the rotation. I did notice on the dog I may have shot dog #2 in stead of dog #1 once. Not a biggie, but marking the dog would have helped out a little
wink.gif
At least I may have helped out the guy laying next to me
laugh.gif

Hugo

I was talking to Mike last night and he also mentioned you shot well.

Reference the dawgs - Now why would I want to go ahead and make it <span style="font-weight: bold">easy? </span>

Target ID / situational-awareness is a HUGE component of this sport, as is the general concept of bringing other components into it and bolting them on to the shooting.

So you'll see stuff like target ID, unknown distance, uncomfortable positions, and other stressors bolted on to what would otherwise be a mundane shot to turn it into something rather challenging.

Quite a few had serious difficulty with the holdovers, and many were shooting movers for the first time. You did pretty good on the mover, but many did not.

We are going to try and book a one day clinic there to focus on those two topics like a laser beam. Let shooters get a lot of trigger time with both things in a controlled environment with feedback information flowing freely.

--Fargo007

Hahahaha..... I though that was what you were going to say
wink.gif

Let me know when you plan on having the clinic, and how much $$$ it would cost. Things are kind of tight right now with my wife losing her job, so I'm trying to just shoot matches. If it's not too bad I may be able to squeek it....

Hugo

don't worry hugo, those who shoot laser guns (wsm)don't need to practice hold overs, lol.

by the way fargo i loved that we had to shoot offhand. always good to get out of the comfort zone.

LOL I admit that I revel in hearing the collective moan every time I make people get up off the bipod.

Clinic won't be expensive. It's not a course so less than a C note definitely.

--Fargo007

less than a cnote.............man if the clinic was on a sat and a shoot was on the very next day- sunday, some day in april..........i think i would feel the gravitational pull all the way from new york
whistle.gif

i think hugo should have to use a 308 or maybe he should have to pay to use a rifle that doesnt have that much drop whos in favor of that

its hard to justify doing a build for more than 2 k when u got ma duece sitting in the safe u know

You got a ma deuce?

Definitely gotta bring that up to the matches we do at Lewistown PA / MCSA. That would be a treat and they are BMG friendly.

I don't believe Hugo's caliber held any advantage at all with that holdover drill. It was known distance starting at 300Y. Two of us shooting DMR's hit all 7 of the 12" and 6" plates (and the 400Y guy) all they way out to 500Y in 0:45. This drill was about knowing how to run your reticle, make each shot count, and run correction off the splash if you missed.

Had that stage been UKD, a flatter shooting caliber would definitely show an advantage. Especially out longer, as the bullet would see more planform of the target face translating to a greater margin vertically.

We may start keeping a range record of running all those plates and come up with a special prize to be held by the current record holder and turned back in once the bar gets raised. That might be a lot of fun.

--Fargo007

that would be cool. trouble is, im not sure if we can transport trophys across state lines legally, and that would be an issue
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fargo007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You got a ma deuce?

Definitely gotta bring that up to the matches we do at Lewistown PA / MCSA. That would be a treat and they are BMG friendly.

I don't believe Hugo's caliber held any advantage at all with that holdover drill. It was known distance starting at 300Y. Two of us shooting DMR's hit all 7 of the 12" and 6" plates (and the 400Y guy) all they way out to 500Y in 0:45. This drill was about knowing how to run your reticle, make each shot count, and run correction off the splash if you missed.

Had that stage been UKD, a flatter shooting caliber would definitely show an advantage. Especially out longer, as the bullet would see more planform of the target face translating to a greater margin vertically.

<span style="font-weight: bold">We may start keeping a range record of running all those plates and come up with a special prize to be held by the current record holder and turned back in once the bar gets raised. That might be a lot of fun. </span>

--Fargo007 </div></div>

I like this idea.
smile.gif

I also like the idea of doing a "holdovers only" match.

i would be in for a hold over only. been needing to work on that anyway.

for the record you have to watch hugos trace and you will know what i am talking about its awesome the trace at 600 is prob what mine looks like at 100 also the ma duce is a les baer grizzly single shot if im going to do comps with it i got to get something diff so i can have a fighting chance dont think they do one round at a time and i havent started to reload for it. you can say it was a welcome home present from my first tour. but i would love to shoot 1000 plus with it im kicking the idea around

i liked the holdover drill i am still learning and that was def a confidence booster to trust my equpment and with docs help i was wear i needed to be all day thanks bro

I have a 7/300 WSM and 6.5-06 so I'm quite aware of a "flat trace", learning holdovers at UKD is quite differewnt than holdovers at known distance. I think Freddys right, it may be intimifating to watch a very flat trace but it doesn't do much at known distance beyond wind holds.

agreed bohem. m249's only misses were slightly right on that cof. same as mine till i corrected. i think that was what he was eluding to.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">no matter the debate </span></span></span>all this really comes down to is us busting hugo's balls cause he's our buddy.

No problem on the dope bro, i got you.

def plan on shooting more good to know your rifle and scope fargo if i were to bring the 50 what would the round count be and could i do it with a single shot?

I dunno - maybe we'll talk off line about that. The club you shot at doesn't handle .50, but another one we run matches at does.

--Fargo007

i meant for the other range would like to be able to shoot it but still working on putting a scope on it one of those had to "borrow a scope from here to put there " im sure we have all been there he he

ive also got to say that the cof was great and even though i was new to al of ths it opened my eyes to the fact that with a great course no one is out of the running challenging enough for the begginner and a shooter that has alot more time on the trigger than me

I was wondering if the matches were open to spectators. I am beginning to get into long range shooting and this would be a great learning experience. I live in Lancaster, PA so New Holland is just a stones throw away. I belong to another range that only goes to 200yds. Is there a schedule of events for New Holland for this summer?

Pardon the edit: Someone in the thread mentioned a clinic. I would definately attend a clinic in the area. Other then this forum how can I stay in the loop with this stuff.

m249--

I gotcha, didn't realize you were just bustin' his balls...

Tikka-

www.nhrpc.org

That's the club's website, you can see the calendar of events on there. The matches can be watched by guests of a member. I had a guest sticking with me last weekend during the time to see what was going on with them (Cluebat). NHRPC runs to 600yd and has steel from 200-600 as well as pits, pistol ranges, very nice covered benches and concrete slabs and benches, as well as a flat burm to shoot in the grass.

Bohem:
We are pretty brutal to each other here in NY. I guess it comes from years of being stepped on by Albany.... We got anger issues
wink.gif

OIC - By "Ma Deuce" I was assuming you had a full-auto or semi-auto Browning M2HB .50BMG.

Guys - I am looking at dates for a clinic. I will try to back it up to a match the following day. I will stay out that way so we can all try and hang out after the clinic someplace.

Is March too early? April is booked solid for me so that's out. If not March then May.

--Fargo007

yeah couldnt afford the semi trust me i would of had i could but beggers cant be choosers id bein for a clinic in may with another match

i would be in for a march clinic as well as a match the following day...im planning in coming up for the march 13 match anyway

just some of the tips we got from mike during the match were very helpful...all commen sense stuff thats really obvious but it takes somebody telling you before you realize it...march would be great the sooner the better

You can always check us out for a course. Our April one is already full but more coming. You'll get a brimming truckload of those sort of wakeups. :)

--Fargo007

ill definitly be up for one....its been a long while since ive had any training and it showed....if you get an opening in april let me now,,,i just found out about you guys or i would have been to one of your classes sooner

March is not good for me. We may be relocating to West Lawn, PA. I won't be able to shoot then. I may even have to drop out of the Reade match if my crap isn't back together by then....

Hugo

march doesn't work for me either, but May would be easy to make happen.

Ill sign on the dotted line today if you toss out a set of dates in May or april for clinic/match

talked with lou forico tonight memeber of the nra he said we have a 1000 yd range near albany lkooking into it maybe we could do something our way and ahve the pa boys on up ill let everyone know when i know also still down for a clinic and a match im gonna have to get a crutch from doc though

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m249</div><div class="ubbcode-body">talked with lou forico tonight memeber of the nra he said we have a 1000 yd range near albany lkooking into it maybe we could do something our way and ahve the pa boys on up ill let everyone know when i know also still down for a clinic and a match im gonna have to get a crutch from doc though </div></div>

Ya, that's Forbes: http://www.forbesrifleandpistolclub.org/index.htm

I've check them out before, but the seem to do more NRA sanctions type events (ie... Smallbore, High Power, Service Rifle). It's also hard to get membership if that is what you're looking for: http://www.forbesrifleandpistolclub.org/membership.htm

JM2C

Hugo

hugo why is it hard to get a membership there if we were to ask to use the range and tossed them some money why wouldnt they allow it they cant possibly say no if your willing to donate some money to the cause of the club cant hurt to ask

by the way bro i meant u were my crutch cause i dont have a vehicle right now

You can ask, but I don't think they'd let a bunch of out-siders role into there club. Let alone, let these out-siders run a match at their range....

The reason I say it's difficult to get into their club is you need the to meet their requirements:
Proof of:
1. an NRA classification in a shooting sport; or,
2. satisfactory completion of a smalls arms training school; or
3. current peace officer, or service in the armed forces.

Then you need to also have to get sponsors to vouch for you at the new membership meeting....

Like I said, "you can ask". I just don't think they'd let us run a match there.

Hugo

f -it, gotta figure the liability issues for the farm and run one here. better/ more diverse shooting platform anyway. wind like no other

fargo or others in the know- if you don't take a match fee, and make it user risk/recreational only, are there major liability issues for having a shoot on private property?

we have 450 acres here, and more than enough room to shoot. getting sued for it cause some dude shoots his own foot while participaing is the only thing that holds me back from having these "freebee"shoots for a 20 something group of dudes.

That's a funny but relevant example. We see people all the time put muzzles on their feet (or try to), and we always counsel against it.

I would back an event on private land up with a liability waiver (we had an attorney make ours up but I will share it), and probably you could very easily get one day event insurance for it. Just build that right into the cost of the match. It shouldn't be much.

Check around with some insurance companies and see if you can come up with anything.

There's another instructor here on the hide whose opinion I respect and likely knows some of these answers - John Boyette. Let me bounce this off him and see if he has anything to add. I believe he works on private land from time to time.

Having another long range match on the Noth East is totally worth looking into this.

--Fargo007

gotyour words of wisdom hugo but they do have a precision class for one and two if we were going to d a match there thered have to be an incentive ie the money so im gonna email and see hwat i cant find out lets hope for the best

ok fargo, thanks i would appreciate the insight an d you reaching out for me.

one day event insurance was something i never even thought of.

and i would love to see that waiver.

[email protected] if you don't mind.