• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Anyone from MD??

SJshooter

BTM FDR
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2011
Maryland
picasaweb.google.com
I was wondering who all on here is from or currently in Maryland. I see all the states out west and a whole ton of others, but no good ole MD.... It must be because we cant have high capacity mags. lol

Re: Anyone from MD??

I'm not in MD anymore, but my Family is still in MD. I try to go a few times a year to visit. We have a business in Beltsville and I did live in Derwood but we now have a place out on Gibson Island.

Hit up the Indoor Range with my Brother last trip, hoping next trip to at the very least bring my REPR and take him out to do some rifle shooting. The range options in MD are not all that great, I am trying to talk him into becoming a member at the quantico range.

(one upside is that my family has an environmental business and we do all the work for the military and FBI & MPD ranges in the area, so next trip I will be using the range at Ft AP Hill which has some great ranges)

I'm in the DC area. There are some good folks to shoot with in the northern VA/suburban MD area. New shooter, or new to the area?

i m a new shooter in montgomery county

I am heading down to Aberdeen Proving Ground. Anyone know if their are decent rifle ranges in the area or do I have to go all the way to Quantico?

There are several ranges in MD. None to 1000 yards that I know of, some to 600 yards. There are plenty of farms that have the acreage to go long distance, just have to get permission.

There are some ranges in PA that would be closer than going all the way to Quantico.

Good luck

Jerry

Jerry, what farm do you speak of? Any near Westminster? I'm looking for a place to stretch my legs actually, but I don't want to have to pay for it. And what are the closest ranges in PA to MD?

Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore;
Baltimore County Fish and Game;
Mayberry Game Protective Association;
Izaak Walton League of America;

For farmers you have to knock on doors and ask.

Good luck

Jerry

Thanks. I've heard of the Izaak Walton League, but they want you to be a member. I will check out the other three though. Also, there is Hap Baker firing range. I've been there. And its $10 (I think) for a whole day if your not a member.

Anne Arundel County here! Mayberry is the only place that I know that gets out to 600yds, but there are a few 100, 200 & 300yd ranges around. AGC in Marriottsville comes to mind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SJshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It must be because we cant have high capacity mags. lol </div></div>

Where did you get that information from? You <span style="font-weight: bold">CAN</span> certainly have high cap mags in MD. You just can't take ownership of them in MD. For instance: You can go to PA and buy them and bring them back in.

I've heard of a 1000yd range out near Cambridge, MD on the Eastern Shore. I'm pretty sure it's out there in the vicinity of the LWRC International Headquarters.

im 10 min north of maryland just over 83 md line. looking for a range that reaches out past the normal 100 yards. 500 would be great!! have a few new toys being wasted at normal 50yard and 100 and starting to feel like i wasted my money on all this lr stuff. HELP thanks guys

Hey Mayberry is having a team match on Aug 7 pm me for details. Precision/carbine 16 teams max. Located in Westminster MD.

I'm down in Anne Arundel County. I might try to hit up Mayberry near the end of August.

Josh

I'm in Baltimore county, I have done work in beltsville, and Aberdeen proving ground at the ballistics research lab. I'm friends with a bunch of local farmers in the area, in the process of finding a good place to shoot. grew up on a 200 acre farm where I could shoot 1000 yds that just got sold, so i'm on the lookout now to.

I live in Anne Arundel Co. and have access to private land you can shoot to about 500+. I am currently deployed but should be home in about a month. If you local guys are interested PM me and maybe we can set up a date.

I'm in Harford CO, and I'm considering joining one of the ranges in PA. There are two that are about an hour from me...Delta and SLCFSA. Delta is closer but its only 100 yards and SLCFSA is 200 yards, but its 20 min further away.

It would be nice if I could make friends with some farmers so I can actually shoot past 100 yards. My uncle lets me shoot at his house, but he only has 50-75 yards, so it's good for the handguns and the .22, but not so much for the guns with longer legs.

For anyone who doesn't already know about it, MD Shooters is a great shooting community for those of us that live in MD and the bordering states. Its very active and there is a lot of information there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpc1027</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> My uncle lets me shoot at his house, but he only has 50-75..... </div></div>

Gives a whole new meaning to "couldn't hit the broad side of a barn".

Greetings from Carroll County

The Hap Baker range is nice but only goes to 200 yards. Also no rapid fire. It is more or less an indoor range but with very little noise insulation so it can get very <span style="font-weight: bold">LOUD</span>

Ridgeave. Rifleman-- I live in carroll county too. I occasionally shoot at Hap baker but it's to far for me to drive every time I want to shoot any large amount of ammo. I'm in the mt airy area. Any farmers you have heard of that would let someone shoot on their farm?

im currently in harford county, and work at the proving grounds, yeah, it would be nice to be able to throw the 338 and head over to TW, the new barricade, or mulburry point, but unfortunatly the brass is horrified of the idea that people would want to actually shoot guns for recreation.

i mean demos for VIP's are no problem, but somebody with multipul clearences shooting at a vacent range on the weekend, fuck that.

with that being said, maryland is awful for shooting, myself and a few friends are allways looking for people to head out to WV and shooting long range(1000 yards)

we go up other month or so for the weekend

Old thread... New body checking in from Annapolis.
I've only shot at Hap Baker and DelMarVa.
I like DelMarVa better mainly because it has 50,100,200,300 yard berms and two pistol ranges. It's $20 for the day. It provides spotter scopes for free and sells bowling pins for $1.50 each.
Getting a scope for Xmas so I'll be heading out to zero it sometime with in the month weather permitting...
I'd love to find some where to shoot out to 500+ yards!
I'm a member of mdshooters same name as hide but barely visit. Stick mostly to ar15chatterbox.com , xdtalk.com and the HIDE of course.

Bridgeville Rifle and Pistol Club in Delaware. Currently out to 600 yards with plans out to 1000 Yards.

Good luck

Jerry

I'm in Arlington, Va I could throw a rock and hit MD from where I live. I saw someone on hear mentioned Quantico, can civilians shoot there? It never occurred to me to try. I always just go to the indoor NRA range

In the past two years or so there have been changes in the way the range has been run, yes civilians can shoot there, but it has become a major league pain-in-the-ass. Also, they are not above canceling a scheduled event - that morning - just because.

Good luck

Jerry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nova98Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm in Arlington, Va I could throw a rock and hit MD from where I live. I saw someone on hear mentioned Quantico, can civilians shoot there? It never occurred to me to try. I always just go to the indoor NRA range</div></div>

I just spoke w/ someone who shoots there regularly, a trainer, seems like they've shut down the 1000 yd range and several others (?) for lead reclamation. Lots of money in this, no environmental science sense at all (lead is insoluble in water, it isn't bioavailable outside about a 6 inch zone from the projectile), but they have closed down many of the ranges.

I too just moved here (Montgomery County) from Wichita Falls Texas. I just left Active Duty to fly with the DC Air National Guard. I'm bummed that I lost all my awesome ranges in north texas. I just joined the Damascus Izaak Walton League, but I still need to find a place to shoot long range. I plan on visiting Quantico, but their Operations officer told me that the range is closed until February. If anyone knows anywhere to setup for 1000 yards let me know. I don't think I can manage a 3+ hour drive to PA or pay the $400 to occasionally shoot in WV.

-John

I don't live in MD but only on the other side of the Potomac river. I live in Falling Waters WV. There is a new range that just opened this year in Glen Gary WV. It is reported to be a top notch 1000 yd range. I haven't used it yet because I can shoot about that far on my present hunting lease. here is the link. Its about 45 min drive from hagerstown MD

https://peacemakernational.com/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TEDMAGMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't live in MD but only on the other side of the Potomac river. I live in Falling Waters WV. There is a new range that just opened this year in Glen Gary WV. It is reported to be a top notch 1000 yd range. I haven't used it yet because I can shoot about that far on my present hunting lease. here is the link. Its about 45 min drive from hagerstown MD

https://peacemakernational.com/ </div></div>

Thanks that the range that I found but membership is $400 plus $100 first year. If I was right around the corner it would be an awesome deal. If only they charged a fee per visit for people from far away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elcam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I too just moved here (Montgomery County) from Wichita Falls Texas. I just left Active Duty to fly with the DC Air National Guard. I'm bummed that I lost all my awesome ranges in north texas. I just joined the Damascus Izaak Walton League, but I still need to find a place to shoot long range. I plan on visiting Quantico, but their Operations officer told me that the range is closed until February. If anyone knows anywhere to setup for 1000 yards let me know. I don't think I can manage a 3+ hour drive to PA or pay the $400 to occasionally shoot in WV.

-John</div></div>

Welcome to Maryland. Funny, I wanted to have my last duty station be in Texas, the wife wanted the east coast to be near her mom; she sorely regrets this NOW, but we're here.

Mayberry Range up by Westminster is 600 yards; I shoot there with member friends from time to time. Central Virginia Tactical is a TRAINING site in Louisa, VA, about 2 hours south (if you get off the beltway heading west on 66 before 6 AM). You're right about PA ranges. Reade is 3 hours from here (I'm in Cloverly, also an IWLA Damascus member), nothing convenient around here.

My dream was to live just outside Miles City Montana where you can still drive a half hour and shoot 360 degrees and not hit anything but dirt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: normbal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elcam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I too just moved here (Montgomery County) from Wichita Falls Texas. I just left Active Duty to fly with the DC Air National Guard. I'm bummed that I lost all my awesome ranges in north texas. I just joined the Damascus Izaak Walton League, but I still need to find a place to shoot long range. I plan on visiting Quantico, but their Operations officer told me that the range is closed until February. If anyone knows anywhere to setup for 1000 yards let me know. I don't think I can manage a 3+ hour drive to PA or pay the $400 to occasionally shoot in WV.

-John</div></div>

Welcome to Maryland. Funny, I wanted to have my last duty station be in Texas, the wife wanted the east coast to be near her mom; she sorely regrets this NOW, but we're here.

Mayberry Range up by Westminster is 600 yards; I shoot there with member friends from time to time. Central Virginia Tactical is a TRAINING site in Louisa, VA, about 2 hours south (if you get off the beltway heading west on 66 before 6 AM). You're right about PA ranges. Reade is 3 hours from here Louisa(I'm in Cloverly, also an IWLA Damascus member), nothing convenient around here.

My dream was to live just outside Miles City Montana where you can still drive a half hour and shoot 360 degrees and not hit anything but dirt. </div></div>

Thanks for the welcome. I grew up in this area and the wife likes it a lot more than Texas. I also have all my family in the area. I'll be living in silver spring outside the beltway( actually only 10 minutes from Cloverly). I might try some matches at the ranges you mentioned but Quantico will probably be my first choice once they up and running.

-John

Hello from Hagerstown Md. area....I thought about checking out that new 1000yard in Wv. just haven't had the time and cash to drop right now...but am looking forward to getting my guns out this year....

I know from the Hagerstown are north up in Pa. we have a range in the St.Thomas area that has 400 tards and great benches..

Hey guys I grew up shooting at the Frederick County IWLA and although it only went out to 100, they were stretching it out around the time i was moving to NC. I know Mt. Airy IWLA has a very nice 300 yd range as well as dedicated pistol and shotgun ranges to keep those guys out of the way.

Baltimore here... always looking for places to shoot. Any members of mayberry here or with private land? Gonna try to get out to some of the mayberry matches but looking for other times as well...

For that range in WV, you can only shoot to 300 unless you're a member. To become a member you have to pay like $1500 (family price I believe) and then qualify to shoot out to 1000. I live in Martinsburg, so I'm like right next to the place, but I haven't been there yet. Apparently it's the real deal though. Electronic targets and steel all the way out to 1000. So I'm told.

Old thread I know but has anyone come up with good places to shoot out to 600+ anywhere near Westminster/Carroll County? Seems like with all the farmland around here that someone must have but I've struck out so far.