• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Anyone got a Savage 110FCP in 338LM?

garandman

Bad Advice for Free
Banned !
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2009
Huntington WV
Looking at getting one. Personal experience (yours, a friends rifle) welcome. Pics, range reports, whatever.

Actually, buying the barreled action, and putting it in a XLR chassis.

Thinking of this or a AR30.

Too many problems with mine. 2MOA best groups, sticky bolt no matter the brass used, and the barrel is a little short if you're looking to really reach out. Most long range 338's run a 28-30" barrel. The savage is only 26. And there's no 1/2 MOA, not even 1 MOA guarantee from savage.
I was where you were at just a few months ago. Was looking into a sacrificial rifle to build on. The basic consensus is that neither Remington nor savage standard actions are ideal for a 338lm, and the ones that are already set up for it are in the mid-upper 1k price range, and they still aren't the most ideal action for a 338lm.
I'm not saying don't do it, but you'll probably be inclined to get a better barrel for it, and you'll find that the accutrigger sucks and will have to invest in a better trigger.
In the end, you'll have spent $1500ish on a rifle that all you've used on it is the action, when you could have just built on a TAC338 action (about $1300ish with a Jewell trigger) and had a much, much, much better rifle with a match barrel. And most gunsmiths guarantee 1/2 MOA or better.
Buy once, cry once.

My buddy has one and it is just not built well enough to handle the 338LM. I have never seen him be able to get more than 5 shots though it with out the trigger screwing up and having to take the whole thing apart. He has put about 500 frustrating rounds through it and is going to throw on a 300wm barrel and build a 338lm on a surgeon action.

I have one and have put about 250 rounds through it. So far it has performed well. From what I have read on different forums it is picky about what it likes to eat. I have shot some factory Lapua ammo through it and it shot very well. I have been using my own loads using Lapua brass, Retumbo powder, Federal GM215M primers, and Berger 300gr OTM bullets. This combo has shot well gives me about a 1" group at 200 yards. Oddly enough it groups the same at 100 yards. A week ago it worked well enough to make repeated hits on a 24" steel plate at 1535 yards even with different shooters. For the money it's a decent rifle.

As far as barrel length most tactical rifles use around 26" barrel and if you plan to pack it around it's much easier to deal with. My loads get me 2752fps average with a 300gr bullet out of the 26" barrel. I have not had any issues with the accu trigger on it or any other Savage rifles I have. Is there better triggers out there? Yes but you won't find one on a rifle in this price range.

The 110 FCP HS Precision is lighter than most .338 Lapua chambered rifles so to me has more felt recoil and after about 50 rounds I am ready to put it away. However I like it and is a blast to shoot.

I rebarreled an original 112V single shot it's my shop test rifle around here (made back in the '70s'). Got a new bolt head and opened up the bolt face for the .338 Lapua round. Shot hand loads, factory loads, hot, cold etc...never had a issue with it extracting fired cases, reloading for it etc... and the gun just pounded them into the target.

.338 barrel is off the gun and got a new .30cal. on it. That rifle action has had .22cal. barrels, 6mm barrels, .30cal. barrels and the .338 Lapua on it. All with no issues.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

I set this one up and broke it in for a friend. It shoots great and recoil is very manageable. My only minor complaint is the skinny barrel heats up a little quick however it also makes the rifle a dream to carry.

20130519_164626.jpg

I got one, and It is marginally accurate. Roughest bore I've ever seen. My barrel stayed cooler & fouled less after I fire lapped. If you want to fuck around, solving problems, at five bucks per round plus gas, I would say go for it. Bed the optic rail and locktight the screws. I tightened them good but they still came loose. Other issues as well that I am still working on. I liked the value, but wasn't prepared for the troubleshooting.

I must have got lucky

I have the 110 BA and very happy with it, guess I got lucky. .75MOA at 100 close to .5MOA at 300. Mostly shoot HSM 300 gr SMK in Lapua brass. Handloads starting to show promise with H1000. I out shoot a friend with a TRG at 900 yds and we shoot similarly with our 308s.

I have had little to no problems with mine. Before I ever shot it I had it bedded, and had the rail epoxied and the screws loc-tighted.

Load development was non-existent thus far. I randomly loaded up 300gr bergers as long as the magazine with 88gr. H-1000 just to break the barrel in. It shot so well I haven't ever changed the load as I doubt I can get much better. Its only running about 2645fps but what the hell its amazingly accurate.

I use lapua brass and only have stiff bolt after three re-loads of neck only sizing.

First picture is 300yds, 2nd is self explanatory. l also have numerous first round hits on a 10" piece of AR 500 at 1000yds.

Attachments

• photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 11
  • photo-2.jpg
    photo-2.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 10
I shoot 88.5gr of H-1000 with Berger 300 OTM loaded at mag length 3.7" and its sub MOA. Going to try the 250gr Bergers next for some extra velocity. Lots of mixed reviews, but the one I have shoots very well.

I have one. I love the way it shoot, but I have had issues with cases sticking in the chamber. I returned it to Savage and they polished the chamber. ( I guess that's what the kids are calling it these days) It worked for about a year, and I've started having the issue again. I'm thinking of trying a new boltface and extractor. I get 5-7" groups at 1k with 84.5 R-19 pushing a Hornady 250 Match BTHP. I'm getting ready to take it out to S Dakota to bang some Pdogs with it. (Not the main rifle, but for some fun......) Overall, if I was doing it over again, I think I might go with something else. Not real happy about having a $1400 muzzle loader.

I'd say look back at my older posts but it appears that they have disappeared. I had several failure to fires due to the spring being weak, anywhere from 2" to 12" groups at 100-300 yards. Keep in mind it was bedded, rail screws loctited, and topped with the ATACR with NF ultra light six screw rings. Hand loads or factory ammo and no effect on the groups, and I started with factory ammo in lapua brass. Smiths (two separate) found nothing wrong with head space or timing. After four months we parted ways. Some get lucky, most get the shaft. Take the others advice and look into other options.

Add another 5 grand or so and just step up to the AI

sent from my RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk 2

Heck, only another $200K and I can buy some Russian field artillery. :)

Point being, "buy once, cry once" only works so far. At SOME point, there is no more money, and you gotta buy whatcha can afford.

At 2100 for the ar30. I'd just but an action, trigger, barrel and your xlr and be into a custom for about 3k

Lessee....

Action for $1,200
Barrel for $600 installed
XLR chassis for $800

That's $2,600. Am I missing anything?

Lessee....

Action for $1,200
Barrel for $600 installed
XLR chassis for $800

That's $2,600. Am I missing anything?

I prefer the Jewell trigger. Add that to a tac338 action and its more like 1325.
Add 100-150 for a muzzle brake and another hundred or so to install it.
And you'll need a magazine - 85
Barrel/install price is pretty close, depending on the barrel.
So like i said, $3k:)

I prefer the Jewell trigger. Add that to a tac338 action and its more like 1325.
Add 100-150 for a muzzle brake and another hundred or so to install it.
And you'll need a magazine - 85
Barrel/install price is pretty close, depending on the barrel.
So like i said, $3k:)

I'll stick with the AR30, and put the extra coin into serious glass.

I have one that I picked up as my first rifle to shoot out past 1000. I am just learning to hand load and shoot at any distance beyond 100 yards. I am able to shoot 3/4 MOA with my loads out of a factory rifle with a Vortex PST 4-24x50. I may have got a fluke, but I have no complaints for the $2300 I have in my setup.

ArmaLite no longer makes the AR30. They replaced it with the AR-30A1. The AR-30 used to be a good deal. But with the new AR-30A1 for that money I think there are some better choices.

ArmaLite no longer makes the AR30. They replaced it with the AR-30A1. The AR-30 used to be a good deal. But with the new AR-30A1 for that money I think there are some better choices.

At $3500, i agree. Like i said, you could do a full custom with a bartlein barrel for that price.
And, FWIW, if you're worried about waiting on a gunsmith, Phoenix Custom Rifles has a shorter lead time on a full build than on the XLR chassis you want.

Still not much less than what you can have in a budget custom, with a high end barrel and trigger even.
Heck, you can buy the savage, put the xlr chassis on it, and rebarrel it with a bartlein for around the same price - then sell the hs stock and bottom metal for a cool five hundo...

IMO there is nothing wrong with Armalite's barrel or trigger. No more of those guns than they produce I would have to say they are of a custom blend thereselves. I dont even have it broke in good yet and the first two ladders of loads (H1000/Retumbo) I have run threw it are where all sub MOA at 100 yards. Not every gun has to be custom (chop/cut/rebuild/replace) to shoot good!

Last edited: