• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone got an older ACOG that doesn't light up because the tritium is dead.

theLBC

Shiftless
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 21, 2019
    this might be a cheap option. nice guy from the sig forums has been working on it.

hope it is okay to post this, lol. i am not affiliated or anything.

May depend on warranty status. I have an ACOG that is way out of warranty. I called a couple of years ago because the tritium is weak, but not completely dead, and was quoted just over $600 to replace the tritium. I’m also not the original owner, and I told them that up front.

Reactions: GeoDude
    Looks pretty cool, but doesn’t acog change out the tritium for free?
    i don't know...but when he started working on it, they seemed to be charging a lot.

Thanks for sharing OP.

Lots of folks can use this.

Just shared with a friend.

Reactions: theLBC
    I know this is an old post, but I have one of these, and they are great. They also work with the Primary Arms Autolive battery cap, which gives them shake awake, and the company is currently working on a model for the mini-ACOGs(1.5x, 2x, and 3x). I'm trying to get him to do FDE, but I do recommend these. Note, these are a BACKUP system, they aren't meant to be left on constantly, because the battery life isn't fantastic, but the Autolive cap helps if you accidentally leave it on.

An older military trick was to tape on one of the mini 1.5" chemlights to the fiber optic portion on top of the ACOG. It will light up your reticle at night just like in the daylight. To adjust the brightness, just tape off portions on the chemlight.

Around 10-12 years ago I bought one second hand at the gun show, when it got dim I sent it in. A few days later THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE called me and said I had stolen military property. Nothing was done, but it was a puckering phone call!

An older military trick was to tape on one of the mini 1.5" chemlights to the fiber optic portion on top of the ACOG. It will light up your reticle at night just like in the daylight. To adjust the brightness, just tape off portions on the chemlight.
    Yeah......but that makes YOU a target.

Around 10-12 years ago I bought one second hand at the gun show, when it got dim I sent it in. A few days later THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE called me and said I had stolen military property. Nothing was done, but it was a puckering phone call!
    Yeah, I am familiar with that. I got the same call, but a friend of mine at the time was the military repairs guy at Trijicon. I hooked NCIS up with him, and they traced it back to a Marine supply NCO who had stolen over a hundred ACOGs. They called me later, and let me know my ACOG was "a digit off", so wasn't stolen according to them. I guess that was their way of saying thanks. It was 2009, I think. The dude got 15 years in Leavenworth.

Yeah......but that makes YOU a target.

How so?

The entire 1.5" chemlight is under 100 MPH tape. If it shows through, use two layers of 100 MPH tape.

All you need is for the light from the chemlight to 'energize' (not sure of the proper word here, but to add light) to the ACOG's fiber optic on top.

How so?

The entire 1.5" chemlight is under 100 MPH tape. If it shows through, use two layers of 100 MPH tape.

All you need is for the light from the chemlight to 'energize' (not sure of the proper word here, but to add light) to the ACOG's fiber optic on top.
    Gotcha, but it's a very short-term solution. Check out the REM ACOG, it's only $40