• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone have a floorless tipi tent?

mi223

Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
West Michigan
I have been working to get equipped to take my young kids tent camping. Nothing real crazy but ideally somewhere off the beaten path. I don't currently own a tent so that is gonna need to be a priority to make this happen.

I will try to stick to the point here. I have been shopping different tent options from 2 person backpacking tents to canvas wall tents. I would like to have something light I could use for a backcountry hunting trip but also want a tent to take my family of 4 in the summer. I was starting to think I was gona need a few different tents. Them I stumbled upon the floorless tipi.

A fairly large one is roughly 5 pounds. It would fit 4 of us easily in the summer and with a wood stove maybe me and my boy could give it a try in the winter.

Is a tipi the perfect do it all tent or should I continue looking at getting multiple tents?

Open to any suggestions

The sawtooth is definitely on my radar. Seems like it would be on the small side for 4 people and a dog or 2.

The seek outside reddcliff really has my interest. A little bigger than the sawtooth. Probably a little heavy to carry to far from the truck solo but to split the load with a partner it would be just right I think.

Over on rockslide it seems that the kifaru options get better reviews for quality and features but they seem to lack size options

The sawtooth is definitely on my radar. Seems like it would be on the small side for 4 people and a dog or 2.

The seek outside reddcliff really has my interest. A little bigger than the sawtooth. Probably a little heavy to carry to far from the truck solo but to split the load with a partner it would be just right I think.

Over on rockslide it seems that the kifaru options get better reviews for quality and features but they seem to lack size options
They make an 8 man tipi as well but it ain’t cheap

My brother and I both bought the Seek Outside 4 person tipi for winter camping trips since it could accommodate a stove and pipe and is relatively lightweight. Size wise to me it seemed more like a two person with gear. You could fit four i guess if the stove wasn't there. It was just right for two people, gear, and stove/wood. Set up is pretty easy. A floorless tipi does have some practical issues; i.e. bugs/rodents can get in, you're sleeping directly on the ground so you and your gear can get dirty if you don't put down a tarp, stuff like that. The extra gear you have to carry to keep you off the ground adds weight and defeats the lightweight purpose of it a little, but having the stove for winter camping was pretty awesome. It was -30f with windchill and we were fine. We laid pine branches down and laid our sleeping bags on them since the spot where we set up had to be cleared of snow and leaves which ultimately ends with a wet dirt floor no matter how you do it. And the titanium stoves are good and all but they get extremely hot but cool really quickly so it was a constant chore to keep feeding wood to the stove and being careful not to accidentally touch it. My buddy melted part of his jacket when it brushed against the stove.

I added the screen doors and the liners to keep out bugs and help with condensation.

I can upload some pics tomorrow.

Reactions: RPN
Yeah just like everything there is no perfect solution. The lack of floor sounds terrible in my head but I stayed in a wall tent for a week and thought it was great. We just put a tarp down for a floor and had no issues

For a floor, use a piece of Tyvek. Run it through the washing machine a couple of times to take out the crinkle sound. Folds down to a very compact floor.

I have a Kifaru 6 man tipi, used 1 time and in excellent + shape that I need to sell, in case you are interested.

The Luxe 8p tent. It fits five guys with a small stove and our hunting gear. Four of us split it and the stove up and carried it 7 miles into the mountains of Colorado. I highly recommend it. Held up well to three major snowfalls. Used it this past spring as well.

Cheers.

Here are a couple pics of my Seek Outside 4 person tipi and stove (pictured with my brother's on our last winter camping trip).

20180107_104601.jpg

20180107_104909.jpg

Here are a couple pics of my Seek Outside 4 person tipi and stove (pictured with my brother's on our last winter camping trip).

View attachment 7902410

View attachment 7902411
Ive actually heard pretty good things overall about these. I really love tipi tents and hot stoves. You can get generic floor tarps too that will fit a lot of different tipi's. maybe not perfectly but enough to have the sleeping portion protected.

For a floor, use a piece of Tyvek. Run it through the washing machine a couple of times to take out the crinkle sound. Folds down to a very compact floor.

I have a Kifaru 6 man tipi, used 1 time and in excellent + shape that I need to sell, in case you are interested.
I have heard of using tyvek but not washing it. That is kind of wild someone thought to try that.

The Luxe 8p tent. It fits five guys with a small stove and our hunting gear. Four of us split it and the stove up and carried it 7 miles into the mountains of Colorado. I highly recommend it. Held up well to three major snowfalls. Used it this past spring as well.

Cheers.
Luxe has huge sales currently. Looked into them and lots of horror stories of claiming in stock but not shipping for months. And the whole made in China thing. There is some other brands on Amazon for 200ish with good reviews. I am sure it is no kifaru but the temptation of that shit is real. I am trying to stick with us made but it's hard when that cuts your options down to just a few.

Seek outside redcliff will do everything you want it to for that size group. big enough for two to use cots. Big enough for 4 and a fair amount of gear without the stove and way more than enough for two with gear, wood and sleeping on the ground.

Seek outside redcliff will do everything you want it to for that size group. big enough for two to use cots. Big enough for 4 and a fair amount of gear without the stove and way more than enough for two with gear, wood and sleeping on the ground.
That is my front runner currently. Just trying to justify the cost at this point.

From what I gather the hybrid rectangle is easier to pitch

If you like floorless (and I have been in lots of big canvas ones among others) the indeed as stated above: prepare for it. If at all wet, muddy, cold, etc then learn about sawing down spruce boughs or otherwise something to get up off the floor. Be sure to bring a saw, always. If you don't already, then think of getting a Sven Saw and roll it up with the tent itself (also good to be able to saw branches to replace missing/broken poles so always always have a saw with a wall tent).

Get a ground sheet. They are, for no reason I can decipher, now called "footprints" and are made for under free-standing tents but people who sell these do them in a zillion sizes, and often specific to particular tents. Whoever you buy from may have one, so just get theirs unless too expensive. Agree, they are REALLY loud when new, so just wash it a few times to get the fibers are broken in. If you want, yes it's just Tyvek so go to the home store or mail order and buy a bit of homewrap etc. Can be nice to have a light color floor if the inside of the tent is dark, but also shows dirt and the other side is printed with the brand so looks a little more boogan if you care.

If you do the boughs for the floor, put the ground sheet on TOP of those. Yes, it looks stupid at first. Lay down and roll around, walk on it, etc. a bit and everything will flatten out and make sense.

Also, I bet the stakes any of these come with are terrible. Stake technology is massively improved, so I'd look at Groundhogs (google it or ask if baffled) as the baseline, but if you will sometimes go in odd areas like sand, get terrain-specific ones.

I also find most adjusters to be terrible, replace all of my guy lines to have these specifically: Like the old school toggle, but works on almost all cords that fit, and the open bit means you can take it off and rapid adjust, un-tangle, etc.

If you plan to heat it, I have additional thoughts. And then we can get into tent lighting, drying racks and lines, etc etc. So much to setting up a good tent so it just supports your mission/adventure/recreation and isn't too much OF the time you have.

Reactions: lash and mi223
amazon has then cheap ones 215.99
you could also make your own canvas sheets water proofing and fixtures twine and sticks are not all that expensive but it would mean more work higher quality than the stores sell but more work for you . send pics on what you go with and how it turns out .

Last edited:
Luxe has huge sales currently. Looked into them and lots of horror stories of claiming in stock but not shipping for months. And the whole made in China thing. There is some other brands on Amazon for 200ish with good reviews. I am sure it is no kifaru but the temptation of that shit is real. I am trying to stick with us made but it's hard when that cuts your options down to just a few.

Interesting... mine took about 6 weeks. I wasn't in a hurry though. I suppose if you are, it would be best to look elsewhere.

I will say the quality of the material, the support structure, the seams, and the zippers... I have been happy with. If I get 3 seasons out of it... good enough. I've blown far more on a two week venture for far more frivolous shit. The price does seem to have gone up significantly since I purchased it. I paid just shy of $500 a year ago.

We did use the floor, but rolled it back to about 2/3rd coverage. 5 of us slept on the floor covered edge with a bed of pine bows and needles on the ground. Klymit pads on top of that and then a variety of sleep systems. Day packs were stashed behind the stove along the tent wall and then extra wood was stacked inside.

We ran a fire rotation throughout the night on the small titanium fire box... it was good enough to knock the sweat off the inside of the tent, dry gloves and boots, and boil water for coffee and a morning meal.

Attachments

• IMG_2602[1].jpg
    IMG_2602[1].jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2624[1].jpg
    IMG_2624[1].jpg
    75 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_2625[1].jpg
    IMG_2625[1].jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 113
Reactions: lash and shoobe01
Yeah I know. That Chinese shit sure is tempting. I would like to buy us made but the 600+ difference sure makes it difficult.
I would buy one Tigris before any Chinese garbage.

Reactions: shoobe01

That is my front runner currently. Just trying to justify the cost at this point.

From what I gather the hybrid rectangle is easier to pitch
Love my Redcliff!! Birthday gift from my wife this year. Couple quick car camp runs to work out best setup. Learning to pitch it takes a few times as far as the footprint goes. Less square footage and steeper walls seemed better for us. Get the liner!!
Ran without vs with. Had a lot of frost on the inside in the morning without it. Don't plan for the stove to burn all night unless you sleep light and feed it.
54630.jpeg

Whatever size they say divide by 2. If you’re going to be there for a week or more divide by 4.

I have kifaru 8 man that I’ve used for the past 5 years. No real complaints. If your not packing it any distance definitely get a different stove. The lightweight ones they sell will keep you up all night keeping them stocked with wood if it’s down in the single digits or below. If you’re packing in somewhere they are awesome but definitely not airtight enough to hold embers for 6-8 hours the majority of the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghost1941
Love my Seek tipi, it’s my backpacking/mountain hunting tent. I just carry a section of tyvek a little bigger than the footprint of my sleeping pad. I personally love the aspect of not having a floor, walk in with your boots on and don’t worry about getting dirt and stuff everywhere. Haven’t had rodent issues I haven’t had in floored shelters, same with bugs.

Buddy of mine sewed 18” of bug mesh along the bottom of his, can pitch it higher for a nice, bug free, breeze in hotter months, or pitch it regularly and have a larger skirt to weigh down during storms.

Reactions: yakstone
Get the seek red cliff.
I’ve had my seek for a long time…held up very well.
Solid kit

I've got a 12x14 canvas wall tent.
Uses 1" EMT conduit for the frame.
Rock f'n solid.
They do everything....check WallTentShop and Davis Tents.
They both do custom stuff and if you're looking for a decent (not chiwanistani) wood stove, they are your hook up.

I have looked at wall tents. The biggest downside I see is weight. I agree they are nice but you are stuck with car camping

Im interested.

Kifaru have been doing it for decades, have tried almost anything and everything, and their stuff is bombproof.

Some other, recent companies' offerings seem ... well, let's just say ... a little derivative.

I have looked at wall tents. The biggest downside I see is weight. I agree they are nice but you are stuck with car camping
Umm, they BOTH make teepee tents in any manner you want.
Both will do custom work.
Both stock every conceivable tent accessory known to man.
You didn't even look did you ?
And there I was thinking I did you a favor....scuse the fuck outta me.

Man settle down! I will go look now. Sheesh. I heard canvas wall tent and the first thing that came to mind was heavy

A07C5A5F-88F3-47BD-AD7F-EA4A3A16AA0F.jpeg

Here’s my 16 man Seek Outside. It’s been awesome. Like it much better than my Cabelas Outfitter tent. There is an insane amount of room in this even with the stoves and wood stacked up in the center

8712CEB3-10B6-4113-A0C3-0F180C3E6DC6.jpeg

Also have a Seek Outside Redcliff which is great as well. I had a custom full nest made for it to use in warmer seasons. It’s got great space for 2-3 guys with gear.

Is this not made in china?? I just assume it is at the price point
Yes.

I think the first couple years they made their pouches and packs in some eastern european country, but have long been +/- 100% Chinese made. They have a lot of products, I am sure some are made elsewhere, but similar low cost high volume places.

Quality generally (I do not have a tent, talking the rest of their stuff) is... fine. Better than Condor, etc so probably about right for getting what you pay for vs actually being bad and failing you without warning.

Is this not made in china?? I just assume it is at the price point
I don’t think one Tigris is Chinese. But it might be

Edit to add….yeah it’s made in China. I looked up their support address and it’s Chinese. I thought it was British for some reason.

Another cool feature with the Seek Outside tipis are the additional guy outs located about 2-3ft above the bottom ones. They allow you to “puff out” the side walls and give you more interior space. But they can also be used to pitch the tent in a smaller foot print. For example. I can take my 16man tipi, pitch it using the upper guy outs along the ground. And shrink it’s size down to say that of a 12mon tipi. Good flexibility if you find yourself in a constricted area with out much room. It can also allow you to cover two needs with one tipi. Pitch it big when needed…or smaller if you have less people / gear.

Reactions: mi223
Black diamond megalite. Sleeps four and weighs about 2 pounds. I've had mine for at least 15 years. Straight up best tent I've used for backpacking in areas that don't require mountaineering setups. Also excellent for winter camping.

Another cool feature with the Seek Outside tipis are the additional guy outs located about 2-3ft above the bottom ones. They allow you to “puff out” the side walls and give you more interior space. But they can also be used to pitch the tent in a smaller foot print. For example. I can take my 16man tipi, pitch it using the upper guy outs along the ground. And shrink it’s size down to say that of a 12mon tipi. Good flexibility if you find yourself in a constricted area with out much room. It can also allow you to cover two needs with one tipi. Pitch it big when needed…or smaller if you have less people / gear.
These are on many tents, and specifically are for bad weather, mostly snow and ice (though useful in just winds, really torrential rain). They even have a formal name but hell if I can remember it now, dammit.

They can also be used to cheat if your initial setup isn't quite working, take out sag but often are ignored on expedition tents used in nice weather. When weather is bad they keep the sides from sagging under load. Ideally you only tighten them to make the wall straight, not further so they stick out at the guy line attachment point. I... don't know for sure, but have fears that adds un-planned stress to the system.

I ended up buying a seek outside redcliff.

Was a little more than I wanted to spend but I think it will be worth it. Waiting for now to get a stove. I hope to get one later this fall

I had a seekoutside LBO and was pretty happy with it but the wife hated not having a floor. Also it wasn’t big enough for me without the middle expansion piece and then it was too long and heavy compared to other options. Ended up selling it and looking for new option with a floor.

The big selling point for me was having a stove but the stove took constant work to keep heat and just ended up not worth it.

I ended up buying a seek outside redcliff.

Was a little more than I wanted to spend but I think it will be worth it. Waiting for now to get a stove. I hope to get one later this fall
You will like the quality and features....opinions are very diverse and we all have different tastes. I love my Redcliff....hopefully you do also!

Reactions: mi223
question for the guys who use a bottom tarp

i understand on the very large wall tents as there usually arent any floors

but if your going to use a 2-6 man bottomless tent and then put a tarp down why not just buy a tent with a bottom already?

not saving any weight, not waterproofed up the wall incase you get the annoying 1" stream that finds your tent in a rain storm as they always do

im a dome tent guy who is starting to look at hammock tents, so i might be missing it

When I had my flourless tent I used small piece of tyvek or the window shrink wrap just under my pad for extra puncture protection if I am camping somewhere that has lots of rocks or other puncture hazards.

When you compare the useable space sqft-sqft you get more with floor less.

Reactions: brianf
Same for me....Tyvek slightly larger than my pad. Best argument for floorless is mess. Walk in wet with boots and a arm load of firewood not to mention sparks from stove and your floor gets trashed.

Reactions: brianf