• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone have a Nitrided barrel?

JWV

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2009
Mich State Univ, East Lansing
I just watched some interesting videos on 6mmbr that talked about nitrided barrels. One guy said his Fclass rifle had 5000 rds through the tube and still shot 1/4 MOA. And it was some form of a 6mm which are generally barrel burners. I am curious if anybody has had the same results. It is a relatively cheap service for the barrel life that is says you pick up.(IE 2x life)

Re: Anyone have a Nitrided barrel?

Not saying this is gospel, but I have heard that this is the same thing as a Melonite coating. If you are familiar with the coating on HKs, Glock's Tenifer, and the like, this is apparently the same thing. The following info is from Burlington Engineering that does most Melonite for the US. Would my 308 last 40k?

Melonite Info

Josh

So has there ever been a test done to prove if it works or not? It would be really nice to see a test done on a 6.5x284 as those things eat barrels fast.

Do a search on here for Melonite !!!! I have explained all of this already. Cost runs about $60 per barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cut rifled</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do a search on here for Melonite !!!! I have explained all of this already. Cost runs about $60 per barrel. </div></div>

Thanks! Found some good info in my search.

Does not effect accuracy. There is actually a reduction in corrosion resistance for stainless steel, but i believe an increase for chrome-moly.

I talked to Joel. For a barreled action the total cost, including return shipping, is $124.

I think the coolest part of this process is that they tested two 7 SAUM's, one with nitride and one without. The nitrided barrel showed .003" of throat wear after 500rnds and the untreated barrel had .055" of throat wear!

I am sending in my 6.5 WSM for this. Joel has done 3 reciever's sent from BAT. One of my concerns was tolerance issues, or the steel moving from the heat treating process. If the BAT actions are good to go i am sending mine in with the barrel to have the whole thing done.

yeah I'm thinking of getting an 8mm match barrel for a zastava m76 rifle. The rifle is capable of so much more than people give it credit for especially with the m75 8mm "sniper" ammo out of yugoslavia. Only problem with their so-called "sniper" ammo is it's corrosive as fuck. So I was thinking np3 on the internals and roguard on the barreled receiver and cover. It'd make for a pretty handsome rifle and help against corrosion. then get the barrel melonited.