• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Anyone have a Ruger LCP?

deersniper

Protecting the Sheep
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2007
    Northeast
    I bought a LCP last weekend, get to pick it up tomorrow after MD's 7 day wait.

How do you like yours? I need to get a holster for mine. I picked up a few hundred rounds of Speer Lawman 90 grain GoldDot and 95 grain TMJ.

-dan

Re: Anyone have a Ruger LCP?

I've got one and like it for hot weather carry. I've got a Desantis inside the pocket holster and it works well. 90gr Gold Dots shoot pretty well to point of aim when looking down the top of the slide. The sights are useless....Mine has been very reliable through the 200+ rounds I've fired in practice.

Love mine. Great for the summer. Give it a chance mine took about 75-100rds to "loosen up". After that it has been flawless.

I picked up a new LCP a few months ago to serve a back up role, and it now has 250 rounds through it. It ate Winchester and MagTech FMJ round nose and Federal HydraShok and Speer Gold Dot HP's without any issues. For it's intended purpose, I find it to be a reliable, up close pocket pistol. I usually stick it into a DeSantis Nemesis Pocket Holster.

I have seen a lot of these in qualifications as backup guns. If you have the right ammo in them, they'll work fine. Be sure to run a box of what you plan to carry through it. If it functions and feeds fine, run with it. If not, try another load. They are much less ammo sensitive than the Kel Tecs, but they are still not 100% with all ammunition.

As a general rule. Besides the .22's ruger makes a piece of shit automatic.

You should have gone with a kahr, for a little back up gun.

Feed it good ammo. I run the powerball stuff in my LCP works great. I also found a small holster thats got a metal belt clip that can be moved to either side so you can wear it left or right side and inside or outside the pants. It also has a mag pouch down the top of the slide on the outside of the holster, mine will hold two mags in the pouch with mag extensions. This gives you 3 mags total (holster made by pro-tech). Not a bad set-up for a secondary weapon. I also carry it in a wallet type holster from Desaints and one from Galito or something like that. I carry mine mustly to places I don't want my 1911a1 printing or felt by family members when the hugs come out.

http://www.protechoutdoors.com/holsters.htm (see the 8th one down the WSB "Intimidator" Belt and Clip Holster)

I love my lcp. Has worked flawlessly for 300+ rounds. I use Remington golden sabre for carry. I also use the desqntis nemisis holster. This gun is very concealable.

My LCP has run without a hiccup. I carry an in the pocket holster and have run multiple brands/types of ammo through it.

ETA:

DOH!!! Ooops. Please ignore my stupidity...I misread this as an LCR, not an LCP thread.

I bought my lcp when they first came on the market. I carry it every day but sunday, since I cant carry in church. I keep it in a galco pocket holster. I have ran the federal, speer, hornady, and magtech ammo through it. Mixed or one brand per mag, and have had no stops. I did have some rust slip up on me when I carried it while mowing the yard and left it in the sweaty pants pocket over night. I try to blow the pocket lint out of it a couple times a week. And oil it down good twice a month.

So, should I believe Trebeck's "General Rule" or the actual folks who own an LCP...I think I'll go with those who know what they are talking about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOPO-sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, should I believe Trebeck's "General Rule" or the actual folks who own an LCP...I think I'll go with those who know what they are talking about. </div></div>

Choose not to run your suck so fast next time.

My experience comes from multiple classes with thousands of rounds fired in each class. When time after time the guys that are having malfunctions are firing a ruger semi it kind of shy's you away from that maker.

Also, if anyone here has compared the LCP to something like the kahr line of pistols there is no question the Lcp lacks the fit and finish of a quality firearm.

Here's a link for ya. Since ruger puts out such fine semiautomatic pistols.
    http://www.ruger.com/LCPRecall/index.html?r=y

You want to go with these "reviews" people post with 300 or so rounds fired?? My friends that is not enough to suggest reliability in any firearm. Put a grand through it then start talking, and if you have already done that. Hey good on you. You just might have a good one.

However I'll put my trust in a line of pistols that has not been recalled.

As a disclaimer I'll say I love rugers .22 line of pistols and rifles and their revolvers.

I don't think that the Keltec and Ruger LCP line was designed to be "broken in" to a 1000 rounds. I've had 4 Kahr pistols, from the Elite all the way down to the smallest polymer 9mm. They are very well built, and they actually were a "gateway gun" to Glocks, for me.

However, they are just thick enough, and sharp edged enough to be nowhere NEAR as easy to carry as a LCP or Keltec. The little ones have their place - I'd like to have an LCP, myself. No, something that small may not be built as well or last as long as a Kahr, but they are smaller. Smaller is worth a great deal if you can find a load that works with it and runs 100%. It can mean the difference in having it and not.

Everyone knows that the LCP has had a recall. So has Toyota, but that doesn't mean they don't build a decent product for it's intended purpose. I will certainly agree that Ruger's fullsize semi-autos aren't the best design. The little LCP seems to be a refined Keltec, and that appeals to me.

The Kahr, although a fine pistol, is just close enough in size to a Glock 26 that it just doesn't make sense to me to put up with the limited capacity and unpleasant trigger and recoil characteristics (compared to a G26.)

I mostly carry a Glock 19 that has been cut down to take G26 mags, and a S&W 642 in a pocket rig the rest of the time.

+1 Chainring. If evaluated and passed as you would ANY firearm you may ultimately trust your life to, it has its place. Would I use it as a primary sidearm? F-no, personally I would not own a Kahr as a primary weapon. To each his own. And if those multiple classes with thousands of rounds were not executed using an LCP, again I do not see where you have first-person experience with this pistol bro. You're just telling us how you feel, and I do care, really I do, but that has no bearing on an LCP specifically.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think that the Keltec and Ruger LCP line was designed to be "broken in" to a 1000 rounds. I've had 4 Kahr pistols, from the Elite all the way down to the smallest polymer 9mm. They are very well built, and they actually were a "gateway gun" to Glocks, for me.

However, they are just thick enough, and sharp edged enough to be nowhere NEAR as easy to carry as a LCP or Keltec. The little ones have their place - I'd like to have an LCP, myself. No, something that small may not be built as well or last as long as a Kahr, but they are smaller. Smaller is worth a great deal if you can find a load that works with it and runs 100%. It can mean the difference in having it and not.

Everyone knows that the LCP has had a recall. So has Toyota, but that doesn't mean they don't build a decent product for it's intended purpose. I will certainly agree that Ruger's fullsize semi-autos aren't the best design. The little LCP seems to be a refined Keltec, and that appeals to me.

The Kahr, although a fine pistol, is just close enough in size to a Glock 26 that it just doesn't make sense to me to put up with the limited capacity and unpleasant trigger and recoil characteristics (compared to a G26.)

I mostly carry a Glock 19 that has been cut down to take G26 mags, and a S&W 642 in a pocket rig the rest of the time.

</div></div>

the 1000 round mark has nothing to do with breaking this or any other firearm in. It's showing reliability over more than just a few magazines.

You don't need to fire or own every firearm in a companies inventory to be able to draw some conclusions on the quality and reliability of their firearms.

Be sure to keep your eye on the recalls for the next one they put out on this. You gents have fun with that.

Seriously, that doesn't ring any bells??? Tell me what the last pistol was by any manufacturer that had a dangerous flaw so bad that it had a recall put out?? Shit design from day one.

My experience with Ruger has been different. Not the most elegant designs by any imagination. But tough and serviceable. Price point that is affordable to most. Never owned a Kahr (Moon) product, doubt that I ever will.

"You don't need to fire or own every firearm in a companies inventory to be able to draw some conclusions on the quality and reliability of their firearms"

Sooooo, you obviously don't own or have shot the LCP.....I'll bite....what Ruger firarms have you owned and put a statistically relevant number of rounds through to support YOUR suck brother? Eventhough the post is about the LCP specifically.

I love mine. I drop it in my pocket when I walk out of the house. I carry powerball ammo in mine and it eats them like a champ.

Thanks for all the info!! The holster suggestions will be useful.

Got a chance to shoot it on Saturday. Ran about 200 round of Speer Lawman through it with zero malfunctions.

Only thing I would change is it would be nice if the front sight was colored or a raised a hair. Sharper grip serrations would also be nice. The gun gets snappy after your hands get a little sweaty.

-dan

I was actually given an LCP for X-mas. Still don't know why but its turned out to be a very handy little piece. Mine is a post-recall model that has functioned flawlessly after several hundred rounds.

Granted...it's not NASA quality but it doesn't have to be. It merely needs to be there, readily accessible, to get off that one round to get me out of a bad situation. If you have to rely on it for offensive purposes, you've already made a potentially deadly mistake that can't be blamed on the weapon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was actually given an LCP for X-mas. Still don't know why but its turned out to be a very handy little piece. Mine is a post-recall model that has functioned flawlessly after several hundred rounds.

Granted...it's not NASA quality but it doesn't have to be. It merely needs to be there, readily accessible, to get off that one round to get me out of a bad situation. If you have to rely on it for offensive purposes, you've already made a potentially deadly mistake that can't be blamed on the weapon. </div></div>

Ok cool. good advice, since you only need one round I'll download my mags.

Seriously dude??

TOPO-sniper- Your a tool, end of story.

Hey Trebeck, just looking for a little personal experience on your part to back up your statement other than you read about it someplace on the internet....how's that being a tool bro?

Heck, I'm no Ruger fanboy; most my life I've thought anything Ruger made was a turd except for their 22s. I decided a few months ago I wanted to add a pocket pistol to the collection, and after evaluating those currently on the market I picked up an LCP a couple weeks ago. Have not had an opportunity to fire it yet, hoping to make it to the range this weekend to start breaking it in. So my questioning of your experience Trebeck is directly related to a recent purchase, thanks for the kind thought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok cool. good advice, since you only need one round I'll download my mags.

Seriously dude??
    </div></div>
    I'm quite confident it will be able to empty a mag.

The recall in question was regarding unintentional fire when dropped on a hard surface. That hardly makes it prone to leave you hanging in a pinch and they're not the 1st manufacturer to issue a recall. Hell, Barrett has a recall out on one of their .50's and they're not exactly cheap junk.

That said, I'm not a Ruger fan by any measure. I have one simply because it was given to me, and would have likely never given this weapon a second look if it were not given to me by a DHS buddy. Many LEO's swear by them for back-up rigs.

I also have a Sig and a Glock...both of them have failed to feed on more than 1 occasion. In fact I've never owned a weapon that didn't have a feed failure for one reason or another, usually ammo related.

Back to my earlier comment, a handgun, particularly a small back-up rig such as the Ruger is primarily a <span style="text-decoration: underline">defensive </span>close-range weapon intended to facilitate your retreat from a hostile situation. If you use it for any other purpose you're likely to end up out-gunned and full of holes.

I bought an LCP without shooting one thinking it would be like my walther ppk but lighter. Not so. The trigger on the lcp is crap. It is like a double action pull for every shot, that being an 8 pound trigger pull. The weight savings was not worth the trade off in quality and shootability.
    I switched now to a Glock model 26 which is the compact 9mm.

Recalls.....

I seem to remember Remington recalling a crapload of 870's....

I have a post recall 870...works fine

I have a post recall LCP...works fine

I've compared the LCP to the Kel-Tec and the Taurus. The LCP is the more robust of the three. The only PPK I've handled had a trigger pull heavier than my LCP. Trigger pull on the PPK's could be hit and miss depending the time the pistol was manufactured. The one I'm familiar with was a pre S&W Walther.

I've tried the Powerball bullets too and although they functioned, they didn't shoot to point of aim. Mine were about a foot low at 10 yards while the Speer GDHP's were not.

I have one. Works great. I trust it enough to use it as a backup on duty. I know about 30 others who have them as well with no issues beyond a few "user interface" problems.

As far as recalls go, just off the top of my head S&W (iBolt rifle), Sig (P238), Blaser (R93) and Glock (a batch of frames) have all had recalls and few would call them shit. I think Kimber and Sako have also had recalls, along with probably several others I'm forgetting.

To be honest, I had hell getting my smallest Kahr 9 to function. I sent it in to Kahr, they sent it back with a new guide rod. It still wasn't 100%, so I sold it.

Doesn't change the fact that the Kahr is an excellent pistol, I just had a finicky one. The Kahr 380 is bound to be a good machine, but still not as easy to carry. The new little Smith and Wesson pocket rig in .380 intrigues me....too many choices these days!

I'm pretty sure the trigger bar on mine broke this week, with about 400 rounds down the pipe.

Recall, broken trigger bar, trigger pull that is absolutely for shit and a trigger than pinches when the damned thing goes off! I'll be selling mine after it comes back from Ruger.

THe Kahr P380 is smaller than the LCP and the PM9 is almost the same size, but in 9mm (yes it is a TOUCH bigger). I won't buy another .380 due to ammo cost, but the PM9 I have shot and it's a very pleasant little pistol which will work well for pocket carry. That will be the LCP replacement.

Shot the LCP for the first time today, it ate the first 50 target and 20 hydoshocks without a hiccup. Surprisingly accurate for that short barrel. For a pocket pistol I am pleased so far.

Trebecks Mama....you know jack shit about Ruger so go ahead and own up to it. You formed a conclusion? Only a flat out ignorant bastard would form a conclusion based off what he saw, not what he experienced. I have seen multiple 1911's jam up repeatedly....piece of shit pistol huh....or was the retard limp wristing it?

There are a lot of variables to a poor pistol shooter. I know I am not a great shooter but after not shooting my Ruger P94 40S&W for over a year I broke it out and after 1 mag I had my sights back and was hitting 7 for 10 on average at 15 yards on a 4"x8" steel. Not great by any means but that shows me that the pistol is more than capable if a guy who has only played LR Rifle for over a year can grab an old favorite and bang shit out.

I also have a LCP that has never once not fed properly and I have never cleaned it in 400 rounds. This is cheap plinking shit ammo as well and never had any problems.

The recall mister smarty pants (sarcasam intended) was for whan you had a round in the chamber and the pistol was dropped it could go off. So figure in maybe 2% of the pistols made had this problem...still worth the time and cost to issue a recall. I personally think that is great buisness, a friend of mine has an old Single Six that does not have the transfer bar....he won't send it in to be altered because he like it the way it is and feels it has more value that way. But if he ever did want to carry the cylinder with 6 rds in it he could just send it in and they make it safe for free. But like my buddy just loading 5rds much like Cowboy Action shooters do for safety....I just carry 6 in my LCP..none in the chamber.

Granted if a deep cover LEO really wanted guarenteed protection then they would carry a revolver guarenteed. Anything semiauto can bind up and not function properly, the LCP is the best compact semiauto pistol I know of....unless of course you cound Jennings!!!
    laugh.gif

For what it is...a semiauto Derringer. There is nothing comparable to it in the market, the Keltec is not near the fit and finish as the Ruger and the other compacts are not really compact....I can hide the LCP in my fist.

Hopefully you don't get your panties in a bunch from my insults but dude....you drew an offensive ignorant opinion. If you cover the costs involved I will send you my LCP and let you try to make it have a bad day.

I will try to get some pics up of the Ruger LCP and my P94 disassembled so you can see just how similar they are and how the design is not flawed.

100_5092.jpg

100_5093.jpg

I have ape hands but it is small and the recall gains you a free magazine with a grip extension.

100_5094.jpg

The slide release/lockback tab is also updated to a larger version during the recall update.

100_5095.jpg

Ready to Rock.

100_5098.jpg

Lift one pin (the P94 also has to reach with pointer finger and push an arm down)

100_5099.jpg

Slides move forward

100_5100.jpg

Barrels and recoil springs drop out the same way

100_5101.jpg

Now to me knowing your weapon and being 100% comfortable with it and field stripping it is a large benefit to anybody.....if only we could look at an example of some sort of instruction on the benefits of familiarity with a weapon system....
    whistle.gif

Get you a belt clip for a Kel Tec and no holster is needed.

I put one on the right side of mine and carry it inside the belt on my right hip.

I bought two when they 1st came out and both have been great. I bought some brick's of 380 before the craze so I was lucky there too! I have put both guns through their paces and have been very satisfied. Mine have been 100% before and after the recall. I'm also a Kahr fan and have a few, but I think they fill different roles....LCP vs P380, the LCP's are smaller and less chunky than the Kahr P380, go put them side by side. Also, for pocket carry I like the rounder smoother design of the LCP. The PM9 is bigger and for me just not good in the pocket, I do like it for an ankle gun though.

I sent them to Robar a while back and had them NP3'd and the grip texturing. Huge improvement in shootability and still slides in/out of the holster or pocket very well. With the NP3, nothing at all sticks to it anymore and no more corrosion worries when its put into ultra deep cover mode as in a 5.11 undershirt.

Anyway over 2 years later, the LCP in a Desantis Superfly pocket holster, or in "Thunderware" rig, or the 5.11 undercover T-shirt is hard to beat sometimes.....

100_3561.jpg

100_3560.jpg

100_3558.jpg

100_3559.jpg

I KG Gunkoted mine because it was getting some rust on the slide when I would sweat on it during the summer. No more problems now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TYB422</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I sent them to Robar a while back and had them NP3'd and the grip texturing. Huge improvement in shootability and still slides in/out of the holster or pocket very well. With the NP3, nothing at all sticks to it anymore and no more corrosion worries when its put into ultra deep cover mode as in a 5.11 undershirt. </div></div>

What did Robar charge you? Is that texture done by Robar also? Send the whole pistol or in pieces?

Thanks all...the NP3 and grip texture was all Robar sent to them as a complete gun. It has been the best thing I did for the LCP. Really makes is so much more shootable and really easy to care for too.

Hard NOT to carry it
    smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TYB422</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks all...the NP3 and grip texture was all Robar sent to them as a complete gun. It has been the best thing I did for the LCP. Really makes is so much more shootable and really easy to care for too.

Hard NOT to carry it
    smile.gif
    ..... </div></div>

What did they charge for the refinish and grip texture?

I have an LCP but have only put 100 rounds through it so far. For what it is I am happy enough so far. Having said that, when I was shooting it a friend brought out his Taurus 709 Slim and while it is bigger than the LCP I felt the size wasn't much of an issue to trade up for better shootability and the more powerful 9mm. I won't be getting rid of the LCP but if I have the 709 1st I doubt I would have bothered with the LCP. Just my 2 cents.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Be sure to keep your eye on the recalls for the next one they put out on this. You gents have fun with that.

Seriously, that doesn't ring any bells??? Tell me what the last pistol was by any manufacturer that had a dangerous flaw so bad that it had a recall put out?? Shit design from day one. </div></div>

Sig P238, Remington 710, Walther PPK and PPK/S.