• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone have a UTG Hand Guard

Smith97z71

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2012
NW Ohio
Amazon.com: UTG Pro Super Slim Free Float Handguard, 13-Inch: Sports & Outdoors

Thinking about converting to a free float and don't want to spend a crap ton. Have a Magpul handguard right now and would like to switch. Possibly use the magpul for a cheap .223 build. I have seen several people on Misc forums randomly post that these are pretty good. Anybody here have first hand experience?

Thinking about using a 13" on my 18" gun.

Opinions?

Yes, I have a 13" UTG Super Slim that I built last week on a dedicated 22LR upper with CMMG 16" 22LR barrel.

3F3C6C9B-C065-450A-BB53-B3C3206D5B06_zpsytgbfba0.jpg

I have a FrankenSPR with a MI SS15G2 and was planning on using a SS12G2 for the rimfire upper, but once I came across the UTG Super Slim 13" I decided to save the ~$80 price difference and give it a try. It was $91.99 w/ free shipping at Amazon.com.

After a couple hundred rounds of 22LR, I believe the UTG Super Slim is a very nice option, especially given the price point. It is narrow, light, has good aesthetics. I do find it a bit 'sharper' in a bare hand than the SS Gen 2 due to the 'ridges' on the side of the rail, but I didn't really notice it while shooting.

I probably wouldn't use UTG if I was a HSLD Tier One ForceParaRangerSeal or liked 3lb of tacticool hanging off the front of my AR, but I'd have no hesitation using this handguard for pretty much any other use. My personal preference for a 18" barrel would be a 15" handguard, but that is solely for aesthetics.

For reference, this is what an 18" barrel and the SS15G2 looks like.

IMG_2295_zpse2a2198a.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I have a 13" UTG Super Slim that I built last week on a dedicated 22LR upper with CMMG 16" 22LR barrel.

3F3C6C9B-C065-450A-BB53-B3C3206D5B06_zpsytgbfba0.jpg

I have a FrankenSPR with a MI SS15G2 and was planning on using a SS12G2 for the rimfire upper, but once I came across the UTG Super Slim 13" I decided to save the ~$80 price difference and give it a try. It was $91.99 w/ free shipping at Amazon.com.

After a couple hundred rounds of 22LR, I believe the UTG Super Slim is a very nice option, especially given the price point. It is narrow, light, has good aesthetics. I do find it a bit 'sharper' in a bare hand than the SS Gen 2 due to the 'ridges' on the side of the rail, but I didn't really notice it while shooting.

I probably wouldn't use UTG if I was a HSLD Tier One ForceParaRangerSeal or liked 3lb of tacticool hanging off the front of my AR, but I'd have no hesitation using this handguard for pretty much any other use. My personal preference for a 18" barrel would be a 15" handguard, but that is solely for aesthetics.

For reference, this is what an 18" barrel and the SS15G2 looks like.

IMG_2295_zpse2a2198a.jpg

I appreciate the feedback greatly. I, like you, prefer the 15" rail on a but am considering the 13" due to price and I think it looks pretty good. If there was a 15" out there for around the same price or if UTG offered it then I would give it a whirl as well

I had one on my last AR, held an AFG and light and never complained.