• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

anyone have an eTrex or similar GPS?

AXEMAN

General Nuisance
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2009
kansas, topeka
i walk my dogs 3-5 miles every day and took the gps with me just to get used to it and stuff. i notice that as i wear it around my neck, the back being rubberized and somewhat tacky, it tends to get flipped so its face side against my chest and not reading or registering the sattelites. anyone else have this issue? have you figured out a way to stop it? a small pocket on the shoulder of a pack or garment would work. or on top of my boonie maybe. any thoughts?

Re: anyone have an eTrex or similar GPS?

I'm surprised yours won't track if it's just flipped around. The antenna is in the "nose" so it shouldn't matter. But, if you're wearing a pack, try fastening it to the shoulder strap. I used to carry mine there. I use one when mountain climbing. I girth-hitch the lanyard through one of those retractable key chain things so I can extend it to read, then it retracts back to the strap. Good luck!

well the lanyard attaches at the bottom, its nose down as i walk and that may be a part of it too. ill look for something to orient it nose up like a camera or cell phone pouch maybe. i just know more than a few times ive gone to look at it and its face against my chest and searching for signal. its just the design. as it sways and dangles the back catches on cloth and it rotates and the smoth side just slides

thanks

Which version do you have, I have the older Etrex Venture HC and it has always read. From the plains to the deep timber of the CO mountains. I throw it in a back pack or wear it on my belt. I have a leather ammo pouch from a Yugo mauser and stow it in there and extra Tikka mags for hunting.

OP if you have the venture let me know, I will send you the Garmin belt holster. I purchased it for hunting, but it has some heavy duty velcro on the enclosure. You can probably hear me open it all the way in Kansas when I open it. Just PM me your info. No cost just put something on the pay it forward, or if you have already, thats cool.

It is this one.

e858241f9bfd99f12d28f9d.jpg

The model type is the real question here. If it's one of the older eTrex models that is pre "H" series, the H being for "High Sensitivity", then I could see that happening. I have a Vista Cx that is finicky when I have something obscuring the view of satellites, but we have Vista HCx models here at work that I can ping the birds indoors with a couple windows.

If you have the older model, then that's just how they are. I don't like that tiny plastic bar used for the lanyard attachment on the bottom, broke it on an old Venture I had, so I use the neoprene soft case that has a small D-ring on it for lanyard attachment. It also has a belt clip that you could use to attach it to the back of your shirt or something to get it visible if you have no other gear on. Here's the one I have run for over a decade: http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-10314-00-eTrex-Carrying-Case/dp/B00004VX39

If you do have one of the newer models, then I have to wonder just what is going on here. Yes, getting it in view with the sky is important, and a simple pouch on a pack's shoulder strap would be my choice. Do you have a CamelBack?

You can also check in your settings to see what you have for battery saver and WAAS enabled/disabled. If I'm not in the bush for a while, I run it full blast and use rechargeable batteries.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shorthairs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I <span style="text-decoration: line-through">have a iPhone 5 and love it</span> <span style="font-weight: bold">like turtles</span>.</div></div>

Wtf dude? I fixed it for you.
wink.gif

lol, yeah its old, i got it here for a cool $25 a while back. ill rig something up on my shoulder, or chest. its an etrex 12 channel. no maps or anything like that, i just wanted something to see what GPS could do for me.

thanks guys

roggom, i appreciate it but i really dont use the GPS anymore so ill let someone get better use of the pouch. i do appreciate it though, thanks

i used it to get an idea of the distance i walk on nature trails and after that i just put it in a pack for future needs. i know they come in handy, but this is pretty basisc and i plan to get something i can get maps and will let me transfer data to a PC. but for me, i walk the same trails everyday with my dogs, so i dont need it to navigate. it still has uses in elevation and just knowing where i am or to mark range or hell, i dont know, lol

The old ones are just like that then. If you want to spend some money, they have several exercise models out now that are wrist top and give you good readings on rate and such. All depends on what kind of capabilities you're really looking for, or if you're just satisfying your own curiosity when you're out and about.