• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone have any experience with Tyr Body Armor?

Disclaimer: I know Jason and he is friend.

i have know Jason Beck for almost 5 years. He actually started DiamondBack Tactical and sold it, then started Tyr.

He his a great designer and has some very innovative designs. He supplies to many of the "Group Guys" and to a lot of international Spec Ops folks.

I have a plate carrier and it functions very well. Again in full disclosure I did not buy the vest, but it was made for me by Jason. My old company had a partnership with Tyr a few years ago, which is how I can to know Jason.

I know several friends down range that have his equipment and love it.

His PV material is quite a breakthrough in durability and wear resistance.

If you are near Peoria AZ, stop in and talk to him.

I will contact him and see if he will pop in and answer questions

Yes, I use a good deal of Tyr's gear, it's good kit. Depending on which carrier you get, it can be scaled up or down as you need for protection. I run a PICO carrier along with some of their pouches, the Tyr Armored Brokos belt, the COMA rig. I was running the PICO MV with the X frame for awhile in the 3rd armor/protection configuration that it can be configured for. Their proprietary PV material allows them to build some lightweight stuff that wears better than 1000D, it's pretty cool stuff.

As far as it goes in comparring it to Crye's gear, quality and protection wise, they are both top shelf products. There is no question that Crye makes great and innovative stuff and everyone wants it. I would ask you to further define what your requirements are as you can go with a bare bones PICO or a Crye JPC, both are lightweight bare bones minimal PC's. The difference is the PICO can be scaled up for more coverage/protection simply by adding some of the different parts TYR offers, the JPC can't do that. I'm not bagging on the JPC at all, it's a great piece of kit, but in comparrison, it has it's limitations. Some guys like to wear the JPC for airborne ops, I have no issues jumping my PICO. It's really a preference thing IMO

The other issue is availability and price. Crye is a high demand item so it may be hard to come by and it has a price tag. TYR's stuff, like Crye, is made for the SOF community and their product can also be hard to come by and carry a price tag. Both are worth it if your life depends on it but I believe TYR's prices may be a tad bit lower than Crye's. You can't go wrong with either companies products.

In full disclosure, I am friends with the owners of both companies (Jason and Caleb) and have used their products overseas.

Below is a picture of the TYR PICO and armored Brokos belt I have been running for a few years now.

2m68jsg.jpg

I was thinking about getting this with all the armor level upgrades since with my current unit I have not yet been issued body armor. I already switched from the regular ACH to my Ops Core ballistic for use and love it. Just looking for a more comfortable armor.