• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Anyone have any load data for IMR 4064 338 win mag 300gr bullet weight

paul90

Private
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2013
Canada
I have a Savage Alaskan brush hunter with a 18 inch barrel, I recently put a PTG Aics style bottom metal on it. I am going to work up a load for it with 225 gr Barnes TTSX bullets. I have a abundance of imr 4064 powder which I use with great success with my 308 win. I have found data to start with for this bullet weight.

I would also like to work up a heavy load using 300gr Nosler Accubond, I have only found one site that gives any data on IMR 4064 and 300 gr bullets.

Does anyone have any old sierra manuals, or any reloading manuals that list 300 gr 338 bullets using imr 4064.

I think that it might be easier to acheive 2300-2400 fps out of the 18 inch barrel using 300 gr bullets than pushing 2700 fps with 225 gr bullets. At long range the heavy bullets appear to have more energy on paper, and not alot more drop if I can get it upwards of 2300 fps.

I tested factory shells with chronograph, Remington Ultra core lokt 225 gr, factory spec 2780, out of my rifle with chrono about 10 feet out 2650 fps.

Any thoughts, or load data? I know it isn't the ideal long range platform with the 18 inch barrel, but it appears to be quite handy for hunting.

paul90

Last edited:
Nothing in the Sierra manuals I have back to 1991------------Richard Lee---Lee's Reloading lists 300 grain Jacketed Bullets-----IMR 4064 Starting at---53.0 and Maximum Load at 56.0 with a velocity of 2305 Fps. The Version I have was printed in 1997.

Thanks for the info.

I am going to start loading the 225 gr, because I have them already. I'll try loading 300's if I can find them up here in Canada.

Just a follow up on ---my--past experiences. I have a Winchester.338 model 70 Super Grade---'92. Hunting in the Grand Tetons, most of the seasoned shooters opt for mid-weight to lighter bullets, because in most cases, shots are 100 or less; shots made at over 300 (with heavy for bore bullets) lack the velocity to get proper expansion and result in stab wounds as opposed to a "knock them on their butt" hit. Medium game and less are no problem, Elk are not so easy, Moose have a glass jaw (saw one dropped with a 25-06-one shot). Shot a large deer (about 275 Lbs) at 125 with a 308 pushing a 190 grain HPBT; perfect hit; chased the deer for a couple hundred yards and finished the deed with a pistol shot at the base of the skull. Did not find the bullet and found a small exit wound. My aged partner advised me, that IF I had used a 155-168----we wouldn't have had the chase, because the bullet would have expanded properly-----so. Match the bullet to the shot and game-- is the best advice I can offer. My 338 loves 215-225 grain bullets--and shoots (factory)Federal premium 250 grns with the Nosler Partition at less than 1/2 MOA.-----(Handloads);Barnes worked 1/2 MOA; Sierra's were 1/2 MOA, Speer was 3/4 MOA----but every guns has it's own set of "harmonics". Hope you have good luck with yours...

Thanks for the advice.

I have some hornady 225 gr, and some barnes ttsx 225 gr and some load data from hodgon site for imr 4064. I think I will start from there.

The factory shells I have are 225 gr and they seem to shoot pretty good for factory ammo.

4064 IMHO, is for lighter bullets from 40 to 120 grains. You're looking for a magnum caliber powder: ie:7828, RL19, 4350, etc. Not that it won't push the bullet, I don't think it will be optimal.