• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone have custom lever gun? Smith recomendation?

BgBmBoo

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
There has been some threads on other forums lately about lever guns.

I have always liked the look and feel of a lever action carbine. I have a old...read from the 50's I believe, 30-30 that I would like to have worked over.

I have looked at Grizzly Customs: http://www.grizzlycustom.com/custom_lever_action_rifle_brush_hawg.html

Just wondering if anyone here has had any work done by them or can recommend another source(s) for lever gun work.

Take care,Stan

Re: Anyone have custom lever gun? Smith recomendation?

Wild west guns in Anchorage built me a .50 Alaskan out of a Marlin 45-70. They are the experts in big bore leverguns, and do very nice work including custom parts and improvements. I wouldn't hesitate to have them work over a 30-30.

Mic McPherson is a friend and top drawer modifier of lever guns.

http://www.levergun.com/main_index.htm

A few years ago, Ashley Emerson (inventor of what are now XS Sights) took a fairly stock Marlin 336 Cowboy with his sights, to thunder Ranch and ran right along with the AR's. Article here: http://www.leverguns.com/articles/thunder_ranch.htm

A man can run a lever gun pretty darn well with some practice and they don't look "evil."

Have much love for my old Pre-64 Model 94 Winny, post 64 AE and even the Centennial Edition I acquired as trade fodder! All are great ground hunting deer rifles! (even though they are designed & work awesome from a scabbard on horseback....just not my thing...) They're accurate enough for deer (consistent 2 - 2 1/2" at 100 with the 30-30's) & are just a blast to shoot! The only work I've had done was a trigger job (finding someone local to do that was fun.......not!)..... Also prefer mine with just iron sights as scoping them (except for the AE models) just wasn't meant to be! LOL! Enjoy it!!

There is a very good forum that can answer all your questions. Plus many you haven't thought about yet.

It is the Paco Kelley "LeverGuns" forum. Join that forum. There are several guys there who do exactly what you want to do. As well as a bunch of guys who have already had work done to their lever actions. There is a bunch of god uys over there.

I am a big lever gun fan. I have several. Including a couple older Winnies. I really like the Marlin 1894's. But my favorite is my Winchester 1886 High Grade. Tom.

Gary Reeder in Flagstaff does some cool stuff with leverguns. Guys at the shop have rifles that have been done by him, and I must say the work looks to be quite good.

David Clay of DRC Custom Rifles does a great job. He did alot of work for me on a Marlin 444.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BgBmBoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There has been some threads on other forums lately about lever guns.

I have always liked the look and feel of a lever action carbine. I have a old...read from the 50's I believe, 30-30 that I would like to have worked over.

I have looked at Grizzly Customs: http://www.grizzlycustom.com/custom_lever_action_rifle_brush_hawg.html

Just wondering if anyone here has had any work done by them or can recommend another source(s) for lever gun work.

Take care,Stan </div></div>

We're doing quite a lot of custom lever guns. In fact, all the guns on the Grizzly website were built by a guy I've employed for over two years. When I dissolved the partnership with Grizzly, the talent came with me.

I cant speak for Mikes custom lever guns but I am currently doing a custom build with him UGSW and I can say without a doubt that it is the best Customer Service experience I have ever had

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeff 03</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cant speak for Mikes custom lever guns but I am currently doing a custom build with him UGSW and I can say without a doubt that it is the best Customer Service experience I have ever had</div></div>

Damn good customer service!

Here are a couple of takedown customs that I had Lee Hadaway in Trinidad CO do for me. They are .45-70 and .450 Marlin. He is at thearmsroom.com
DSC00265.jpg

hard to beat lew bonitz

Don't forget Doug Turbull . Does some amazing work, especially case hardening that looks fantastic. Also does caliber conversions to his proprietery catridge.

I suppose that this topic is related....If anyone here is looking for some very nice leather at reasonable prices look no further than here!

Wes was great to work with and his products are second to none in my opinion. I'll try to post some pics later.

IMG_1188.jpg

IMG_1189.jpg

IMG_1186.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: younggun22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hard to beat lew bonitz </div></div>

I'm sorry, but I have to respond to this....

No it isn't. If you have a lever gun built by Grizzly prior to January 2011, remove the butt-stock and look for the etched makers mark, <span style="font-style: italic">T.Cronin</span>. Every lever gun with the Grizzly name on it prior to January 2011 was built by Tim, (whom is my Operations Manager) and Lew has blatantly taken credit for work (verbally and in magazine articles) he didn't do (this also applies to SCOUT Rifles).

Lew never touched a lever gun prior to January 2011 and he's now learning how on customer guns. He asked Tim in December 2010 to "teach him how" to work on lever guns and Tim refused. Buyer Beware....