• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone here making their own bullets?

RonA

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2011
Browns Valley CA
Just curious if anyone was making their own. Either lathe turned from solid, or out of spent cartridge brass?

RonA

Re: Anyone here making their own bullets?

Neither of the choices offered. However, way back in the day, I had a Corbin set up. Used their jackets. Formed some very accurate bullets, but very fragile. Not as good a selection of available jackets back then. You could do as John Nosler did and adapt an old screw turning lathe to make partition jackets and swage to shape. Worked out well for him. Others made kits for making .224 bullets out of fired .22 hulls. Not very accurate, but during the war years and just after, that was about all you could do. Some folks made .375 H&H bullets out of 9mm Luger cases. Now you know all I know!

I used to make bullets for my .50 out of bar stock and later out of magnum rifle brass filled with lead shot. Oddly, they didn't shoot that bad. I'd like to play with .375 bullets made out of .223 cases filled with lead shot some time, or a shortened .50 necked down to .475 shooting bullets made out of 6.5 x 55 brass.

I make my own .22, 6.5mm and .30 cal. I have a few corbin dies but they are sitting in a ammo can somewhere unused, now that I am using carbide dies, the steel dies have little or no use to me.
I had a large hydro press from RCE that I made .50 bullets on. I also made .50 bullets using rifle brass. shot really well. cannot shoot the .50 any more so I am shooting small bore and Hi Power.
I do not make bullets from fired .22 cases as they are not what I am into now, not much time to spare. Just use J4 jackets and soon to be using Sierra. Mike