• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone Here Pan or Sluice GOLD !!

PistonPete

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2009
Somewhere in the desert S.W.
the title says it all.
i have been doing this for over 50 years, got a little stash of raw GOLD, believe it or not, raw GOLD is about half the price or less of refined GOLD.
c1main.gold.nugget.kovr.jpg

needless to say i never found one like this !!

Re: Anyone Here Pan or Sluice GOLD !!

Pete,

Yes, I used to prospect when I lived out west. But no, I have NEVER found anything such as that.

As for your 'assay value' statement, there is one difference. The raw gold is worth less due to impurities, sure. But, raw gold such as that is generally worth considerably MORE in the jewelry fields. Especially with the trend of 'organic' and all that, there are some who pay cubic dollars for "natural" and whatnot. The things that they "sculpt" nowadays....

You may want to explore that venue, if you haven't considered it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Piston Pete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the title says it all.
i have been doing this for over 50 years, got a little stash of raw GOLD, believe it or not, raw GOLD is about half the price or less of refined GOLD.
c1main.gold.nugget.kovr.jpg

needless to say i never found one like this !! </div></div>

Not being familiar about a Nugget(Boulder)that size I couldn't say on the value,but smaller nuggets and coarse gold has a higher intrinsic value as Sean was saying.Buyers will always try to find a way to screw the miner out of as much $$$$ as possible on their gold
mad.gif

If you do find gold in any quantity,it pays,no pun intended,to shop hard for a buyer or even examine the cost of sending your gold in to a refiner yourself.The "California Mining Journal" was one of my best research tools for finding those resources.

Nice find.

I grew up watching a gold show based in Nevada and Cali and always wanted to try it but I'd really like to join the guys on the gold mining show (Gold Rush) on Discovery Channel. If for nothing else for the adventure factor. I think a sluice box and some scuba equip, and a pump/vacuum would be the way to go and have often thought about doing it but my location sucks.

I pan and have a sleuce box.

I was in Fairbanks in my stya in the military and asked a guy if I could work his claim for a couple of hours for a birthday present for my dad.

No prob he says.

45 minutes in my sleuce box, 1/4 oz of gold. Not bad, panned it out and it came out closer to 1/2 oz wh en all was said and done, including one fingernail sized nugget.

I have to go to M700's neck of the woods if I want to prospect though. Planning a meteorite hunting trip over there this summer.

that nugget weighed a bit over 7 lbs. and sold for almost $500,000.00

i was Meteorite hunting in the Santa Rita Mountain area and found a golf ball size meteorite, who knows it may be worth more than a GOLD nugget the same size.

i have found an area that i believe could produce some flake GOLD and small nuggets, but it is so difficult to get to for an old codger like me who has two bad knees and very painful left hip.