• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone here shoot 9.3x62

Re: Anyone here shoot 9.3x62

Shooting what? Moose, grizzlies, polar bears ?
The great thing is, the bullet diameter is so large that it takes out the whole 10 ring on a 100 yard target !!

I'm just kidding with you, it looks like a good cartridge for really big animals with really big teeth, really big claws and really big antlers.

It's an AWESOME cartridge. Shoot 270-286gr bullets at 2400-2500fps. Don't try and hotrod it; kills just about anything.

well I have a Sauer 200 with a barrel for it and have never even shot a round thru it. was considering playing around with it..

I have one, shoot 285gr at 2400 Love it! I don't recomend the hornady dies for it though

I've taken 12 head of big game with it from Springbok to kudu to moose. It's a killer. I use the Norna Oryx, in 250gr I'd use a TSX.

CZ 550, love it no need to hot rod it and will take anything in NA with ease, trying to decide on it or 375HH for Plains game next year.

9.3 will kill anything .375 will. The only downside is you lose some range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CaptNemo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm just kidding with you, it looks like a good cartridge for really big animals with really big teeth, really big claws and really big antlers.
. </div></div>

What kind of freaky mutant animals do you hunt that have teeth, claws, AND antlers????

I think writer John Barsness worked with the round in question(Rifle, Handloader). His articles were normally pretty thourough. You might try finding them.

Hornady dies didn't work well for sizing, and the seater die I have only has about a thread and a half holding it in to load to the correct length. Hornady said it was fine that way but loses adjustment a lot, and the zip spindle I don't care for. Guess I'm spoiled by redding on my other calibers. As for recoil it almost feels more like shotgun than a rifle. Slower push, not bad at all, and mine is on a plain Jane CZ with open sights, so pretty light.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LorenaF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so it's basically an elephant gun. no pun intended </div></div>

Actually it's a "anything" gun. It was developed at the turn of the century (1900) as a African/Indian trade gun. Basically one rifle that would be able to handle anything a homesteader living in the bush might need to kill. The rifles were designed to be inexpensive, light and dead reliable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BusterB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hornady dies didn't work well for sizing, and the seater die I have only has about a thread and a half holding it in to load to the correct length. Hornady said it was fine that way but loses adjustment a lot, and the zip spindle I don't care for. Guess I'm spoiled by redding on my other calibers. As for recoil it almost feels more like shotgun than a rifle. Slower push, not bad at all, and mine is on a plain Jane CZ with open sights, so pretty light. </div></div>

Are you using the Redding dies with the micrometer in them??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LorenaF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">inexpensive.. the price of ammo isnt very cheap anymore. </div></div>

If you want inexpensive then get a 30-06 and call it a day.

The 30-06 is the "9.3x62mm" of North America.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LorenaF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">inexpensive.. the price of ammo isnt very cheap anymore. </div></div>

If you want inexpensive then get a 30-06 and call it a day.

The 30-06 is the "9.3x62mm" of North America. </div></div>

Kinda funny you say that. That Sauer has a 30-06 a 243 and the barrel in question 9.3x62

The only reason I'm asking about it is I have the barrel just laying there in cosmoline for years

It was developed in 1905 for Africa. Since its German it wasn't developed for India and wasn't popular there.

Recoil is very light.

I've actually shot the 9.3x62 with a custom barrel in a Browning 1919a4 MG. Great fun!

With explosive 286gr bullets it would have been much more effective than the .303 in Spifires and Hurricanes during the at the start of WW2.

In Norway the 9.3 is called the "moose-tipover-tool"

The perfect combo in a Sauer 200 is 270 and 9,3.

I have Redding micrometer or standard dies for all of my other calibers, depending on how precise I want to be. For my 9.3x62 they weren't available at the time I needed them so I ordered the standard Hornady dies, they are nowhere in the same league as Redding.

Ammo, brass and bullets are reasonably priced. You can shoot anything from Suni to Cape Buffalo to the big bears.

It has the killing power of the 338WinMag and with modern powders is equal to it as a long range hunting cartridge.

I have one and its my go to gun for anything over 300 pounds.

I just posted a pic in the photo gallery of the rifle we are discussing now. Take a gander and let me know what you guys think..

thank you buster, it is a very cherished part of our collection. It needs to be seen, used and appreciated that's why I am aching to use that 9.3 barrel

Some of my gal friends have shot mine, of you can handle a shotgun my call is you will have no problems at all. My only worry could be possibly some of the engraving scratching your cheek. If its not an issue with the other calibers it shouldn't be any worse with this one

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LorenaF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just don't know if my shoulder can hack it. I am a small woman.. </div></div>

If you can handle a 30-06 you can handle a 9.3. Just make sure the stock fits you. It has two orders of magnitude less recoil than a .338.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BusterB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some of my gal friends have shot mine, of you can handle a shotgun my call is you will have no problems at all. My only worry could be possibly some of the engraving scratching your cheek. If its not an issue with the other calibers it shouldn't be any worse with this one </div></div>

If you look there is no carving where the cheekweld takes place, she performs just as good as she looks. kinda like me;)

It's no elephant gun.
In Germany it's used for everyday hunting from roe deer (15-40 lbs) up to red stag (400+lbs).
Recoil is, as mentioned above, shotgun like and not punishing.
I can shoot it all day and I'm not that fond of recoil.
As long as your shooting technique is fine, you won't have any trouble with it (Don't fight the recoil, let it push you).
I prefer the recoil over a stiffly loaded 180gr .30-06.
Ammunition cost depends on the brand, here you pay from about 0,8 to 3 Euros per bang.
It's a hunting cartridge and was never inteded for lots of training with it, so I guess cost per cartridge aren't that important compared to overall costs per hunting trip.

3 Euro is a little over $5 a shot I think, yea I don't think I would make a day of it as it would add up pretty quick

It's $2 a round here for Norma Oryxs. Prvi Partisan is cheaper an fine for light game. Federal Premium is more money if you want to shoot cape buffalo or elephant. I've shot game from 20-700 pounds with mine. There isn't a beast on earth I wouldn't take with it. It is the lightest round I'd say that of.

Recoil is light. Try it. It's an amazing round.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RyanScott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's $2 a round here for Norma Oryxs. Prvi Partisan is cheaper an fine for light game. Federal Premium is more money if you want to shoot cape buffalo or elephant. I've shot game from 20-700 pounds with mine. There isn't a beast on earth I wouldn't take with it. It is the lightest round I'd say that of.

Recoil is light. Try it. It's an amazing round. </div></div>

Oh yes I do believe that barrel will make it's way out to the range very soon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LorenaF</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RyanScott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's $2 a round here for Norma Oryxs. Prvi Partisan is cheaper an fine for light game. Federal Premium is more money if you want to shoot cape buffalo or elephant. I've shot game from 20-700 pounds with mine. There isn't a beast on earth I wouldn't take with it. It is the lightest round I'd say that of.

Recoil is light. Try it. It's an amazing round. </div></div>

Oh yes I do believe that barrel will make it's way out to the range very soon </div></div>Blaser?

Figured since you referred to a barrel it was a rifle with interchangeable barrels, likely a Blaser. Kind of curious about Blasers in 9.3.

My two 9.3x62's have been Blaser's. they both shoot sub moa, one and R8 and the other an R93.

The rifle listed above apeared to be a Sauer or Mauser.