• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone here shortened an AK47 barrel to 16.1 w/ pinned flashhider?

TexPatriot

Two Star General
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2020
I have a DDI Ak47 (AKM) that I really like but would like it better if it were shorter. I was hoping to have it shortened, re crowned and threaded and permanently attach a FH. It currently has a AK74 FH but that might lead to fouling issues with no way to remove and clean.

TIA

I know a few people that have done it with a 107cr. A few manufactures have made extended muzzle devices that are traditional looking For the AK. But the rifle was designed for it much like the UR was designed to be sbr’ed. You would be better off buying another barrel that’s shorter and mount that than cutting your current barrel. Less costly I would imagine unless you are just in love with your current barrel.

Lots of people cut their barrels down to 14.5" or 15" and P&W a muzzle device. I'm into it.
Most will go with a FS/GB combo when doing that; not sure what your specific model has already.
There are much better muzzle devices to permanently attach to your gun than the 74 style brake though. Pick up a good modern muzzle device before you commit.

You're also going to have to have your front sight moved back. It's not as straight forward as a P/W on an AR, but there are plenty of good gunsmiths who can do it.

I pinned and welded a Smith Vortex on mine. I don't shoot it very much so I don't know if fowling will ever be an issue. But plenty of people of P/W muzzle devices on their AR's and you don't hear much about fowling from them.