• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone in Oil/Gas Industry?

Shanerbanner10

Primer Denter
Minuteman
  • Jan 13, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Hey guys,

I recently got out of the military and have been back in college. I decided a couple years ago that Petroleum Engineering was for me. I am working on transferring to the University of Tulsa for their excellent Petro E. program. I was wondering if there was anyone there that could point me in the right direction for a Summer Internship. I am joining the game a little late and have found that most internships for this coming Summer have already been filled. After talking with friends that are either mechanical or chemical engineers; they are telling me that I am the type of person an oil company would be looking for i.e. hardworking, ex-mil, leadership skill/qualities, and the GPA (since I got out of the military) to follow it up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and trust me I know this if pretty far fetched but worth a try to get ahead if possible. Location is not an issue, I will make whatever work. I'm just really trying to get some hands on experience and open my eyes as to what really goes on as someone working in the field or as a Petro. Engineer in general.

Thanks a ton for any help.

Last edited:
    I'm contracted to Atlas Pipeline. Their main Oklahoma office is out of Tulsa. I work in the NW Okla area. They have treated me very well so far.

I'm contracted to Atlas Pipeline. Their main Oklahoma office is out of Tulsa. I work in the NW Okla area. They have treated me very well so far.

Do you know who that contact person is? I am actually located in Tulsa and would love to get in touch with this person.

Last edited:
    Appreciate it. I just sent them an email. I work 2 blocks from their headquarters and didn't even realize it.

Hey guys,

I recently got out of the military and have been back in college. I decided a couple years ago that Petroleum Engineering was for me. I am working on transferring to the University of Tulsa for their excellent Petro E. program. I was wondering if there was anyone there that could point me in the right direction for a Summer Internship. I am joining the game a little late and have found that most internships for this coming Summer have already been filled. After talking with friends that are either mechanical or chemical engineers; they are telling me that I am the type of person an oil company would be looking for i.e. hardworking, ex-mil, leadership skill/qualities, and the GPA (since I got out of the military) to follow it up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and trust me I know this if pretty far fetched but worth a try to get ahead if possible. Location is not an issue, I will make whatever work. I"m just really trying to get some hands on experience and open brain to what really goes on as someone working in the field.

Shanner, I sent a link to your post to my buddy LDD. If you get a response from a new member (LDD would have to join to respond) He is "legit." With over 30 years of drilling and supervision experience.

I have hired on with ARCO 28 years ago and I am still with them so to say, seeing how we were bought by BP and now TESORO.
    TESORO web sight has openings all the time and there headquarters are located in San Antonio Tx, hell give em a try.

Rattler,
    Appreciate the response. Just looked at their website, they didn't have any internships for engineering programs, but I'll shoot them an email anyway. Again, thanks for the response.

Hey guys,

Any help would be greatly appreciated and trust me I know this if pretty far fetched but worth a try to get ahead if possible. Location is not an issue, I will make whatever work. I'm just really trying to get some hands on experience and open my eyes as to what really goes on as someone working in the field or as a Petro. Engineer in general.

I'm a petroleum engineer, I earned my bachelors at The University of Texas and my masters at Texas A&M. You are correct that the majority of the internships have been filled for this summer, most of the recruiting takes place in September and October. However on occasion some spots do open up in the spring. If I were you I would do whatever it takes to get a summer internship. You will not find a full time job without one no matter how good your grades. If this is your first internship I would look for any kind of field work, it doesn't really matter what it is. Even working for a small mom and pop company will do. Oil companies have a hard on for ex-military and often have recruiting events just for those people. I would talk to your career center to see if they can get you some of the recruiting contacts.

Appreciate your reply Redbaron.

Currently I'm at a community college that does not offer a petro e degree. I am trying to knock out as much as I can at the community college before transferring to the much muh much more expensive private university. I am working on transferring to University of Tulsa where they have a great program for petro. E.

I may be SOL for this summer. But would really like to get on somewhere. I guess I should just keep looking and keep sending emails and making calls.

May I ask, what your position is and what your day-to-day job consists of?

Chesapeake has a military recruiter, I would call up there and talk to him. I forget his name and contact info, but I'm sure if you get on their website, you should be able to figure it out.

I have a Bachelors in Aeronautical Engr and a Masters in Mechanical Engr. I worked with a major for 28 years in international drilling operations (mostly floating operations). At the risk of offending someone here, I would advise you not to pursue a degree in Petroleum Engr. Instead pursue one in either Mechanical or Chemical Engineering. These degrees will make you more versatile and offer you more employment opportunities if later you decide the O&G business is not for you. With either of these degrees you will be as well equipped as a Petroleum Engr for the O&G business with the possible exception of Reservoir Engineering. Most of the larger companies will train you in your job anyway. Very few of the people with whom I worked had Petroleum Engineering degrees and I saw no indication that they were more successful that those with other degrees.

Appreciate the responses guys. I am actively pursing each suggestion

RGAmos: I have spoken with many friends who are either chem e or mech e for major o&g companies and they have suggested the same thing. I think being out in the field and actually working along side some of these people will really help me make up my mind.

If you don't mind working offshore. Check out Oceaneering I've worked for Oceaneering for the last 17 years, first 15 as a commercial diver, until I transferred to another division within Oceaneering. Rumor is Oceaneering wants to double in size within the next 5 years.

I have a Bachelors in Aeronautical Engr and a Masters in Mechanical Engr. I worked with a major for 28 years in international drilling operations (mostly floating operations). At the risk of offending someone here, I would advise you not to pursue a degree in Petroleum Engr. Instead pursue one in either Mechanical or Chemical Engineering. These degrees will make you more versatile and offer you more employment opportunities if later you decide the O&G business is not for you. With either of these degrees you will be as well equipped as a Petroleum Engr for the O&G business with the possible exception of Reservoir Engineering. Most of the larger companies will train you in your job anyway. Very few of the people with whom I worked had Petroleum Engineering degrees and I saw no indication that they were more successful that those with other degrees.

Like you said that may be true with drilling or production engineering but not with reservoir engineering. I'm currently a reservoir engineer and can tell you the younger petroleum engineers are way ahead of the mechanical/chemical guys. The reason why there are so many older mechanical/chemical engineers is because of the down times. Nobody wanted to major in petroleum engineering and when times picked up the only engineers available for hire were chemical and mechanical.

If you want to be a reservoir engineer then I'd recommend either chemical or petroleum engineering. If you want to be in DNC or production then you'll be just fine with mechanical or chemical engineering. A major operator will be willing to train a chemical or mechanical engineer to do a petroleum engineer's job but a lot of the smaller independents won't. If you want to work in the O&G industry but want to earn a mechanical or chemical engineering degree then you really have to do multiple summer internships for an operator or service company.

I have sent email after email after email and finally threw together a resume. Still looking but have an interview coming up! Again I really appreciate all the help! I'm definitely not one to turn down an opportunity!