• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone into Metal Detecting as a hobby?

wickedfish

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2007
ORANGE BEACH AL.
I am looking into buying a nice detector,Garrett,White,etc..... Anyone into this fantastic hobby and will give me some pointers on what machine to look at. I would like to spend 7-800.00 on a nicer unit than I have.

Re: Anyone into Metal Detecting as a hobby?

You can't go wrong with a Garrett. I have (2), bought years ago and they still perform great.

Which models? I have an older Garrett now, i use it to find property markers, and it is ok,but I want GOLDDDDDD!!!!

I run a Whites DFX. I normally do old home sites and foundations. I've found some cool stuff over the years

Buy any of the top brand names and you wont do wrong.

My detect buddy always has to have the latest and greatest, but never seems to go any deeper than what he had previously.

My neighbor / co-worker got into it and now owns three detectors. He's found a bunch of civil war era stuff 6 inches down in some lots in our neighborhood. The fangs are in deep with him, so I'd advise to run away from another hobby that'll drain your bank account before you get hooked! Lol

I'll ask him what he runs and report back. He did a ton of research online before buying his first rig, but bought models more suited for his needs after doing field work with them.

Well fishing has gotten so expensive I have to divert my cash else where or my Wife will cut my yearly budget, it is fun to do with me teenage sons, let me know what you find out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WICKEDFISH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">let me know what you find out. </div></div>

I got a pretty good response from my buddy. It was funny how he asked me the same questions that we see asked of new members here. How much does he want to spend, what is going to be the primary use, Tell him to buy once, etc. I guess those are universal throughout any hobby.

He gave me these two websites to pass on: The Treasure Depot and Kelly Co.

Kelly Co is a website he used buy his first setup. He recommended going with Tesoro, due to their lifetime warranty and good CS. The Tesoro Compadre model is only $160 new and he tells guys just getting their feet wet to give that one a try.

The Treasure Depot website has forums for all kinds of detecting types. He recommended reading up on some of the types similar to what you intend to do. He also advised (much the same as we have here) going to their classified and picking up a good deal on a used one.

He now runs a Teknetics T2 SE that he got 2nd hand for about half of buying it new. He also mentioned the White's MXT model as being a good starter for someone looking to get into it hardcore.

Hope it helps...

It looks like fun, but I've always wanted to go the beach at night and scatter a few pounds of ball bearings all over, then come back in the morning when the treasure seekers are out and watch them shovel the whole beach over.

Hell I would be happy to find ball bearings, I found an old pepsi can the other day and had a blast digging it up.

It looks like a very addictive hobby?

I bought a cheap $200 one from a friend for a hundred bucks and had a blast with it and then my dad sent me the Minelab..

I took my daughter to ocean shores and found a bu dweiser can 3.5 feet, FEET under ground with it.

It's too powerful...

It's a fun family thing and we've found a lot of coins, probably 10 bu cks worth, daughter found a small diamond ring.

Lot of fun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jericho</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It looks like fun, but I've always wanted to go the beach at night and scatter a few pounds of ball bearings all over, then come back in the morning when the treasure seekers are out and watch them shovel the whole beach over. </div></div>

Quality machines can program around your bearing frequency. I didn't pay a grand for mine to be hitting trash. Most guys hitting the beach won't be picking up steel.