• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone know much about cloud based e-commerce solutions?

macthknife

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2004
clarksville, IN
I have a friend that wants to streamline Her webstore, and make it easier to manage. Evidently, this cloud based e-commerce solution is a way to do it. Anyone have any experience I could pass on?

Cloud-based ecommerce is the way for small businesses. There is not much to manage except for her to fill orders when they are placed. She basically buys a storage space with some computing to service her web-page. The service provider should be able to help or point her to someone that could develop the webpage for her. It is no brainer for start ups. BTW, cloud -based is nothing new. People have been building data center forever. Now they are offering that storage in small partitions.

Last edited:
I was shocked at what I was told the price for the software is. 10K a year. Man, that seems like a lot. Right now, I think She is way ahead of Me on knowledge on the subject, I just thought it wouldn't hurt to get other opinions, and maybe software recommendations. Thanks for the response. Appreciate it.

It really depends on what she wants to do and what she currently has.

"Cloud Based E-Commerce Solution" in many respects doesn't mean a thing. Everything on the internet is "in the cloud", unless she happens to have a physical computer in her office that is running her web server, which isn't out of the question, but would be atypical. I guess the question comes down to "build or buy?".

You can have a web site hosted at any number of hosting providers, and manage the development yourself ("build" - hire someone to customize/add features to what you currently have), or "buy" (more like rent) a complete solution. A complete solution might offer integrated content management, customer management, inventory control, shipping/receiving support etc. A bunch of software that is already written for managing a small to medium sized internet based business.

From what you initially described, she might want to have a developer add a few more "pages" to her existing site that a customer would never see, but would allow her to add items/update quantities or whatever specifically could streamline her internal processes.

I think it depends on volume, price per item etc., as to what particular process steps would make her business more efficient, and without more info on the specifics of the business it's difficult to offer any suggestions - sort of like "what scope should I buy" in snipers hide terms.

I see. I'm ignorant enough of the whole thing to be of zero help. LOL Thanks for the input. That last analogy drove it home. Haha