• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone know of a machine shop good enough to mill down an AR-10 bolt carrier?

evilsvt

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2005
college station, TX
My 308 is hard as hell to shoot and I think it's because of all the mass slamming home when firing. Can anyone recommend a machine shop that is capable of removing material off of my carrier?

I would try a JP Low mass carrier before I went cutting up an existing carrier.

JP - Operating System Components

If you did find a shop to cut up your carrier you might end up paying more in shop fees that just buying a JP.

+1 on that, I'd just replace it before going through all that. I have the JP LMOS in my LRP. I always tell folks it's tantamount to a pillow travelling throughout the buffer tube. I know there are a few others now making low mass BCG's too. I'd check them out too.

My 308 is hard as hell to shoot and I think it's because of all the mass slamming home when firing. Can anyone recommend a machine shop that is capable of removing material off of my carrier?

Why do you think it's the carrier? Do you have an adjustable gas block? I have a JP with the LMOS and other large platform ARs and - depending on the set up (gas system length, adj GB, barrel length, spring tension, loads you're shooting, and more) - there could be a way to remedy the issue without having to go through replacing a carrier only to find that you have the same problem. Can you provide some more detail with respect to your rig's configuration? That would help shed a lot of light on what the best route would be to make your rifle a smoother shooter.

Why do you think it's the carrier? Do you have an adjustable gas block? I have a JP with the LMOS and other large platform ARs and - depending on the set up (gas system length, adj GB, barrel length, spring tension, loads you're shooting, and more) - there could be a way to remedy the issue without having to go through replacing a carrier only to find that you have the same problem. Can you provide some more detail with respect to your rig's configuration? That would help shed a lot of light on what the best route would be to make your rifle a smoother shooter.

Gun is a 16" with midlength gas system running a JP silent capture buffer. I'm running light loads and looking at the ejection patterns the gun doesn't seem to be over gassed. I've had good luck in all of my other platforms with reduced mass carriers and with the increased mass on the armalite carrier i don't see how it would hurt.

JP - Operating System Components

If you did find a shop to cut up your carrier you might end up paying more in shop fees that just buying a JP.[/QUOTE]

i would but i'm running an armalite barrel and bolt. no go with the lmos group.

I'd try throwing in a Red/Yellow 110 tension spring from the JP spring kit. My SCS runs smoothest with that spring.

Not cheap, but you if you buy the carrier and bolt it will work.

They will work, but head space will be TIGHT. I run a DPMS bolt & carrier in my Armalite rifle, but it has a Rock 5R, and was suffering from excessive head space, until I made the swap. I now have a spare bolt & carrier to carve up for the carbine.

I've been looking hard at milling weight off my carriers. I have the adjustable gas blocks, and the JP springs, and am looking for just a little more reduced felt recoil.