• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Fieldcraft Anyone know of some good books?

Re: Anyone know of some good books?

Just finished "Not A Good Day To Die" by Sean Naylor. A great story of Operation Anaconda, Cannot believe no one as spoke of the "The Bear Went Over the Mountain" or "The Other Side of the Mountain" both written by Lester W. Grau. About the Soviets and the Taliban

wow...Death in the Long Grass, what a great hunting book about safari in Africa. I would recommend No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy. Really, anything by McCarthy is going to be excellent.

Vince Flynn series
Nelson Demille series
Lee Child series
that should take care of you for awhile.

SOG by John Plaster
Currahee by Donald Burgett
Helmet for my Pillow by Robert Leckie
Charlie Rangers by Don Ericson and John L.Rotundo

In the company of heroes - Michael Durant
Sniper One - Dan Mills

I will second or third
SOG by Plaster
Hogs in the shadows
I liked Marcinkos books

There have been some great books mentioned so far. It is very hard to beat lone survivor by luttrell or one bullet away by fick. As far as I know though, shooter by jack coughlin has not been mentioned, and either has final salute by jim sheeler.

"Jack Hinten, One Man War" Civil war era long range shooter also worked as a scout for N.B. Forest very interesting and non fiction.

"Five years to Freedom" LtCol Nick Rowe,,if you don't know his whole story,,well look it up. Mighty glad I got to meet him and have a SERE briefing by the LtCol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_N._Rowe

"The Four Deuces" by CS Crawford

"The Death in Tall grass" by Chapstick is a great read
as are any of Jack O'Connors hunting books.

+1 for On Combat by COl. Grossman

I still say Hogs In The Shadows. That was just an awesome book. ANother real good one that you don't want to put down is "WE WERE ONE". Its about the invasion into Fallujah. Its so good you read it too fast cause you everytime you go to put it down you want to see whats coming next.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chilo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you looked at "Gates of Fire" by Steven Pressfield? A warrior is a warrior no matter what era he lives in. I had a hard time putting that one down. </div></div>

Great book!

if you like books on WWII battles I would suggest:
With the old breed. by Eugene Sledge
Brotherhood of heros, the battle of Peleliu. by Bill sloan

+1 on With the Old Breed by Eugene Sledge and Helmet for my Pillow by Robert Leckie. Just read them both due to watching Pacific. Great books. Sledge's second book China Marine is very good also.

+1 Vince Flynn and Nelson Demille.

Just read BrotherHood of Warriors by Aaron Cohen. About a Jewish US citizen that moves to isreal and joins their special forces. Its pretty amazing what they have to deal with on a daily basis. Fantastic read!

Jack Hinson's One Man War: A Civil War Sniper

By LT COL McKinney.
The story of Capt Jack (he was not a member of the Confederate Army), who embarked on a tour of revenge, after having his sons murdered, and their heads posted on the gate posts of his home.
He ordered a custom made rifle in 50 cal, with a heavy barrel. Shot minie balls, over 100 gr of black powder. The book documents at least one 1,000 yard shot. He scalded the Union Forces in the area that is now "Land Betwen The Lakes".
I just finished reading it and was very impressed.

I finished Lone Survivor and thought it was a good read. Inspiring story.

<span style="font-style: italic">Childhood's End</span> by Sir Arthur C. Clark.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: exnarc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Jack Hinten, One Man War" Civil war era long range shooter also worked as a scout for N.B. Forest very interesting and non fiction. </div></div>

Halfway done with this book. Very Good

I disagree. Read EVERYTHING by John Sandford. I have, and I wish he'd write faster. Neither he nor I are getting any younger, and it really annoys me when a favored writer dies...
laugh.gif

The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer
http://www.amazon.com/Forgotten-Soldier-Guy-Sajer/dp/1574882864

Kill Bin Laden: A Delta Force Commander's Account of the Hunt for the World's Most Wanted Man by Dalton Fury
http://www.amazon.com/Kill-Bin-Laden-Com...7385&sr=1-4

War by Sebastian Junger
http://www.amazon.com/WAR-Sebastian-Jung...7333&sr=1-1

Not a Good Day to Die: The Untold Story of Operation Anaconda by Sean Naylor
http://www.amazon.com/Not-Good-Day-Die-O...7385&sr=1-1

Killer Elite: The Inside Story of America's Most Secret Special Operations Team by Michael Smith
http://www.amazon.com/Killer-Elite-Ameri...7557&sr=1-1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: urhuckleberry21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Lone Survivor" by Marcus Luttrell, not fiction but an epic read...

"Out of the Ashes" its a series by William W. Johnstone. The first book was a good read, but by the third one he lost me...

"One Bullet Away" by Nathaniel Fick, about a marine who went through OCS after college and ended up in the middle of afghanistan right after sept 11th.

Most of the books I read aren't fiction but first hand account type books. The one I'm reading now is "Chosen Soldier" by Dick Couch. He has written quite a few books, mostly on military training, documentary type books... This one is about Special Forces but he also has one about SEAL training among others.

BTW there is a SH book club, found in the Movies section. They do monthly reads. This is all I could think of off the bat but maybe I will think of more later. </div></div>

+1 for Lone Survivor

<span style="color: #FF0000">Black Hearts - Jim Frederich</span>
Murder City - Charles Bowden
<span style="color: #FF0000">Lone Survivor - Marcus Luttrell </span>
In The Company of Heroes - Mike Durant
<span style="color: #FF0000">The Mission, The Men & Me - Pete Blaber
Robert's Ridge - Malcom MacPherson
Hogs In The Shadows - Milo S. Afong</span>
Jaw Breaker - Gary Bernsen
<span style="color: #FF0000">Kill Bin Laden -"Dalton Fury"</span>
On Killing - Dave Grossman
On Combat - Dave Grossman
<span style="color: #FF0000">Roughneck Nine One - Frank Antenori</span>
Marine Sniper- Charles Hendersen
Recondo - Larry Chambers
Force Recon Diary 1969 - Bruce H. Norton
Force Recon Diary 1970 - Bruce H. Norton
Killer Elite - Michael Smith
Bravo Two Zero - Andy McNabb
Dear Mom: A Sniper's Vietnam - Joseph T. Ward
<span style="color: #FF0000">No Room For Error - John T. Carney</span>
First In - Gary C. Schroen
The Mission - Dana Priest
<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">
<span style="color: #FF0000">RED annotates some books I would call "MUST READS"</span></span></span>

I dont really have time to read books, I have no down time at all. I do have audible, and download books to listen to when I am in the shop, and the ones I have heard that I would recommend have already been listed.

-War by Sebastian Junger -really really good book

-Trigger Men -History of Snipers/Schools/Training

-Killer Angels -Michael Shaara (fiction based on true events)About the battle at Gettysburg. Skip the audio book though, the guy who reads it is nauseating.

I haven't read this entire thread (no pun intended), but I am currently reading:

Under Fire, an autobiography of Oliver North

Damn good!

Unintended consequences
lone survivor
point man
one final op?

Shots Fired in Anger (probably the classic first-person account of a shooter in conflict), Not a Good Day to Die, Two Wars (Nathan Self-NAGDTD and TW are reportage and first-person accounts, respectively, and together probably represent the best look at one operation in Afghanistan or anywhere else), One Day Too Long (clandestine operations in SE Asia). All non-fiction, but highly educational. An acquaintance of mine was involved in the operation in ODTL, and he also had been in WWII in SE Asia. He wrote a book that is a great companion piece to SFIA. When I get home I'll try to look it up.
I found the book, and it's From China Burma India to the Kwai, by Lt Col Henderson. He was the lead bombardier in the attack on the Bridge on the River "Kwai," which was not really on the Kwai, but he said that sounded better than the real river name. Quite a remarkable set of books, and as exciting as any non-fiction.
Jim

Last edited:
Horse Soldiers was a good read. About the first special forces sent to Afghanistan after 911.

One of my favorite all-time books is War of the Rats by David Robbins. It is the book the movie "Enemy at the Gates" was based off of, but the book was much better. Loosely based on historical facts about the battle for Stalingrad in WWII.

Marine Sniper was also one of my favorites as a kid.

Although it doesn't sound like what you are looking for, the Song of Ice and Fire Series (Game of Thrones) by George R. R. Martin is excellent. Better than the TV show. I read all 5 books last year while hunting.

Inside Delta Force by Eric Haney , Roberts ridge , The red circle , and as someone mentioned above The forgotten soldier about a German soldier during WW2 .

"Better Times Than These" by Winston Groom and "Catch 22" by Joseph Heller are my two favorite war books. There may be better, but those two captured the feeling, ups and downs, experienced by any soldier and painted vivid pictures for those of us that weren't there.

Anything by Stephen King if you just want a good read, though "The Stand" (uncut) stands out as his greatest work IMO. He's a superb storyteller. No Wordsworth, but a great storyteller. Ken Follet is the same, a great storyteller, and his Pillars of the Earth is a wonderful story about a family in the middle ages.