• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

anyone know of these people?

azfyrmedic

Private
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2009
Pensacola, Fl.
I am wanting to learn long range shooting and rifles, As you could see from my posts so far.
This school isn't far from my home, so I was wondering if anyone here knows of them or better yet if anyone has experience with them.
Thanks, here is a link to there web site.
http://www.sniperschool.com/

Re: anyone know of these people?

Probably the premier school of it's type in the country. Local, State, Federal agencies as well as the Military send their people there for training. This is also the best time of the year to go weather wise if you can get in. I think it used to be known as the McMillan sniper school or something like that.

My opinion and worth every cent you paid for it. If you want my paid opinion I'll write more and include my picture.

Not trying to move into your "paid opinon" level
But I am looking to learn from a very basic level to what ever I can accomplish in the class.
Sounds like you have attended the class, do you think they are beginner friendly?
The only rifle I have in a large caliber is a hunting rifle in 300 Win Mag, I see they sell rifles are they good or at least worth the money they ask?

I have not attended the class even though I don't live far away. I'm not interested enough to invest the time into it. I have spoken with others who have attended and have seen the caliber of people they attract on an ongoing basis. I can't speak to the quality of their rifles but you should be able to get plenty of references for them. If you are not too far away why not stop in and talk to some of the students at the end of the day and see what they have to say.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azfyrmedic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not trying to move into your "paid opinon" level
But I am looking to learn from a very basic level to what ever I can accomplish in the class.
Sounds like you have attended the class, do you think they are beginner friendly?
The only rifle I have in a large caliber is a hunting rifle in 300 Win Mag, I see they sell rifles are they good or at least worth the money they ask?
</div></div>

your conundrum solved........

Chiller, are you trying to say that the rifles only school in Texas should be considered before the school here in Arizona?

I was asking about the school here in Arizona because they are close to me and I am curious if the have a good reputation.

I would love to hear from someone who has been to thier class.

pointless post

John

Shows how much attention I was paying, I didn't even know they had a forum.
I will check that out.
Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azfyrmedic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chiller, are you trying to say that the rifles only school in Texas should be considered before the school here in Arizona?

I was asking about the school here in Arizona because they are close to me and I am curious if the have a good reputation.

I would love to hear from someone who has been to thier class. </div></div>

I would recomend (2) items;

start the online class here on the Hide. I find that they do a good job of breaking down the fundamentals.

Second I would save up and go over to Riles only for their PR 1 & 2 class. They will drill those fundamentals. Jacob, Frank, Lindy, Lisa, etc. It is time and money well spent.

Once you have a PR 1 & 2 class under your belt it will be up to you where you go from there.

So long way round.....go to TX

Pointless post

Thanks

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Boyette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pointless post

Thanks

John
</div></div>

OK, I will get a little off topic.
Why do you keep replying with this?
I am curious if you are saying I am asking a stupid question or something else?

Sir,

I edited my post in both posts.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Later</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That school has been around a very long time. It was the McMillan Sniper School before "GPS".

I have not been to course there since it was "renamed" but I can tell you from the instructors experience that you should not be disappointed.
</div></div>

And before McMillan it was HS Precision... I attended during the McMillan era. If you want details you can search this web site. The short story is I have a lot of respect for several of the instructors but I have some discrepancies with the owner, Bill Graves and the information/techniques he was selling when I attended.

You have to wonder why a school changes it's name so many times.

I also suggest Rifles Only, I have attended several precision rifle classes there and can guarantee a better learning experience whether you brand beginner or professional.

Hey cowboy, thanks for the info that helps alot. I think from what people have been saying maybe I should look to texas

Come down to Phoenix and shoot one of our monthly precision rifle matches at Phoenix Rod and Gun Club. The next one is on Sunday Dec. 13th at 0800hrs
you can also visit our local web forum at LRPRS dot com alot of us are also members here on the hide such as Scottmilk9, Soberbiker, LH Gina (new hide member).

it is curious, why we do this as a forum , over and over ;

this should be sticky'd

there are several ' known ' quantities as far as schools go

if you are LE/MIL then you more options with schools that don't allow civilians

but for schools that allow civilians

Rifles Only - TX
Badlands Tactical - Oklahoma
Optac International - Maryland/Florida/Utah
Tactical Response - Tennessee
Storm Mountain - West Virginia ?
Precision Rifle Workshop - Colorado
Individual Marksmanship Training - North Carolina

and probably others but these are 'known' , as in to know - like sleeping with someone , kind of knowing

if you are LE/MIL then you can add

Tier one group
McMillan group
and several private instructors

hope that helps

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azfyrmedic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey cowboy, thanks for the info that helps alot. I think from what people have been saying maybe I should look to texas </div></div>

You might want to give this a read before traveling to Texas.

http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/374591/ee5fa13db1/1547000207/dd67b4f35f/

Thanks for the heads up deltap,
I actually live close enough to not worry too much about the schedule for GPS.
I just don't want to save up the money to go there if they are not what is best for me, a beginner who dosn't have a precision rifle and has never had any instruction formal or informal.
Everything I know about rifles has been learned from being in the woods with my rifle shooting targets and of course as a kid I shot my BB gun everyday.

You can attend GPS and they can provide a precision rifle for you to use for a fee. Contact them and speak to Bill.

I have attended 5 classes there on someone else's dime. I do not subscribe to all of the information given as gospel, but I can compare it to a lot of other schools. It is not bad, in fact the instructors are pretty good. You will move a lot, you will shoot a lot and you will document all your data. All good things.

Given your location and it is your most affordable option and you can get the basics down before you start spending huge money on travel expenses and other schools farther away.

It is like most schooling, you get out of it what you put into it.

CB: I'm pretty sure that the posts you made about Graves et al. were lost during site changes. You might want to PM the OP about that before he makes up his mind.

Cheers!
-- Lindy

<span style="font-weight: bold">The following is my AAR written after attending the McMillan Sniper School. Please note, the McMillan Sniper School is now under different management, when I attended it was operated by GPS.</span>

Myself and another SWAT officer were given a scholarship to attend the McMillan Sniper School. The scholarship was given by Kelly McMillan and it covered ALL expenses and tuition for Basic Sniper, Counter Sniper, Sniper Instructor and Advanced Sniper.

First off I am greatful for Kelly McMillan's generousity because this was not a cheap venture for him. Second, I am equally greatful that the McMillan family has nothing to do with the McMillan Sniper school, they are two different entities. I am greatful that they are seperate because I value McMillan products but feel that the McMillan Sniper school is mediocre at best. So here is the low down....

The Basic Sniper Course-

"Experience the best tactical precision rifle techniques taught anywhere! Learn to apply precision shooting skills under any all conditions, placing emphasis on how to fight with a sniper rifle instead of simply shooting bulls eyes. For experienced shooters this enhances, reinforces and tests on demand shooting & mental skills. No prerequisite. 3 days/32 hrs." This is the course description from the McMillan Sniper School web site.

Here are the items to be covered per the web site...

" - Rifle Sight-in & Data Book Use
- Understanding Basic Ballistics
- Advanced Marksmanship Drills
- Slings & Position Shooting
- Low-light Shooting (every night)
- Unconventional Positions
- Moving Targets (day & night)"

Counter Sniper Course-

"Put your skills to the test! For two days after each course we conduct field training exercise, multiple scenarios & problems presented to solve using skills learned & practiced in the course. Pre-requisite: Sniper course. 2 days/20 hrs." This is the course description from the McMillan Sniper School web site.

Here are the items to be covered per the web site...

- Intro to Hostage Rescue Skills
- Scouting, Range Est. & Sketches
- Urban counter-sniper exercises
- Live-fire: Extreme angle from 220'
- Live-fire: Urban hides exercises
- Live-fire: Glass shooting
- Live-fire: Night Vision shooting

Day 1/2/3/4/5 (Basic Sniper and Counter Sniper)- We have a classroom portion and begin to discuss the basics. It is stressed that we will not be given a lunch and to eat/hydrate as we go. The class room portion is short and everyone is given an 18 page handout. Next, instructor Rick Furr walks us through a very detailed inspection and proper set up of a scoped rifle. This is by far the best part of the entire course. Mr.Furr is a wealth of knowledge and does an outstanding job. Next we head down to the range and zero weapons. After weapons are zeroed we begin to cover some basic drills and aquire dope for 75,50 and 25 yards. Next we get dope for 200 yards and begin ranging targets and aquire dope for 275, 300, 350, 400, 440, 500, 555 and 920. We fire 15 rounds at extreme angles at true distances of 115 and 200 yards. The class builds one urban hide together and then break up into groups to build another. Various other drills are done at 100 yards with slings and shooting on your side. We shoot movers at 100 yards (approximately 60 rounds total). Another highlight was we were given a tour of the McMillan Bros and McMillan Stock factory which was really great. Ken and I were actually fortunate enough to get a persona tour two days prior to the school tour. Ken's trigger was giving him problems and Kelly McMillan himself gave us a detailed tour.

So the first five days touched upon several items but never really explained them in detail. Minute of Angle was never really explained. There were students that still had very little understanding of MOA by day 5. Shooting positions and Data Book were not covered in enough detail. We did not shoot enough movers and did not shoot nearly enough high angle. 15 rounds of high angle, 10 rounds at 155 yards and 5 rounds at 200 yards was an unjust act considering the venue had so much to offer. The urban hide portion was valuable but way to short. Vehicle hides were brought up but we never were able to do them or discuss them. Position shooting was basic at best. The closest we came to night shooting was taking a shot or two close to dusk. This pisses me off because it was advertised that there would be night shooting EVERY night including on movers and it never happened. Night Vison shooting and glass shooting was also advertised but never happened.

The next two days covered Sniper Instructor which is described on the web site as this...

"For the experienced Police sniper, we introduce the teaching skills necessary to prepare new shooters for sniper duties. The majority of each day is taught by the students to give hands-on experience and confidence to teach these skills on their own. This is a seven-day course, the first five being Sniper & Counter-sniper, as you are required to teach for two days what was covered in those portions. 7 days/70 hrs."

" - Instructor Responsibility & Liability
- Coaching Techniques
- Writing POST approved Curriculum
- Teaching Basic Ballistics & Weather
- Developing Drills & Exercises
- Writing Qualifications
- Teaching Hostage Rescue"

Basic teaching techniques were covered briefly and then the students took turns teaching topics that were covered in the first five days. Things that were not covered...
- Coaching Techniques
- Writing POST approved Curriculum
- Teaching Basic Ballistics & Weather
- Developing Drills & Exercises
- Writing Qualifications
- Teaching Hostage Rescue

Instructor responsibility and Liability were touched on but not covered in any detail. My biggest problem with this course was that anyone able to take the first 5 days of instruction were then qualified to take Sniper Instructor. I don't understand how you can take Sniper and Counter Sniper but not advanced sniper then be qualified to teach????

Advanced Sniper... the final two days....

"The most physically demanding course we offer. This course actually starts every night after the first five days of the Sniper & Counter-Sniper course, preparing the student and their equipment for the final two days of live fire stalking exercises. Pre-requisite: Sniper & C-S courses. 2 days/20 hrs."

" - Camouflage principals
- Ghillie suit construction
- Stalking techniques
- Route planning
- Basic desert survival
- Live-fire stalking exercises"

Items not covered...

- Stalking techniques
- Route planning
- Basic desert survival

Camouflage principals and Ghillie were touched on only by the Marines in our class during the Instructor portion of the school. The advanced sniper course was a series of live fire stalking excercises which is good training but if this was your first sniper school you would be lost and only learning by trial and error.

Over all my biggest beef was safety. I have been witness to one too many injuries on the range and when I'm in a class with several people with little to no range time I want safety to be a major concern of the school I'm attending. During the course we had atleast two Negligent Discharges and a possible third. The saftey brief was too vague. They had a plan with maps to the nearest medical facility and a med kit but as a student you had to take the time to look at the med plan and inquire about the med kit.

Many of us take training seriously because we understand the importance of it. I feel the McMillan Sniper School only gives shooters/operators a small taste of what sniping is all about and they leave too many topics uncovered or barely covered. Bill Graves and the McMillan Sniper School must make serious changes before I would ever recommend the school to anyone. They have a great venue they just need to focus on the period of instruction and organization of training.

I know this write up sounds pretty negative and it is not intended to be a slap in the face to the school or its instructors. Bill Graves is a very motivated person who cares about teaching, that is obvious. It is the syllabus and organization of training that hinders the learning experience.

cowboy, I really apperceate your write up. Thank you
I feel now that if I choose to go there that I will have a better understanding of what to expect.
Maybe their class would be better for me after I have a basic understand if the topics.
Thanks again

Cowboy
How long ago was it that you took this course? For that matter, does anyone have the dates for when it transitioned from McM, SH-P. I guess I am wondering if there has been enough time for there to be a change. I too am looking for a local intro class and I was looking at this school and Gunsite in Prescott. Any thoughts on Gunsite?

Holy cow,I forgot about Gunsite, they are even closer to me.
I too would love to hear about anyones experience there.

Or Frontsight in Vegas? I know they are not as known as Rifles Only and some others but they are A LOT closer and they don't have some guy with a really bitchin' T-shirt about my girlfriend either.

I actually have some experience with front sight but only in the handgun classes and the basic rifle, which is more carbine oriented.
I like the people there, but should not speak to the precision rifle course.
However I do know that to take thier precision rifle course you have to take the regular rifle course and distinguish yourself in thier skills test.
With that requirement alone it would mean more money then the other courses and of course the time to take two different classes.