• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO GET A D.D. ROSS RECOIL LUG

Re: ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO GET A D.D. ROSS RECOIL LUG

Can I ask why? I've seen a couple of members rifles here that I think he really buggered up, I wouldn't support him in any way.

Any reason you can't use a Badger, Tubb, etc?

I understand if you're building a clone of some sort and really want all the right parts, but if not there are similar and better options out there.

The Marine Corps uses them on their M40A3 rifles and I thought that I would folow suit.

I'm really looking for the thickness of the Ross lug but would prefer it in stainless as I am doing the barrel in stainless. Basically I'm building an M40A1 but trying to do it better than the one I carried in the 90's. I'm taking the build one bite at a time and as I can afford it.

I have heard that he is hard to get in contact with and was wondering if any distributors had the lugs? I also tried Brownells and Midway without success.

He can be at times. I used to have his cell but lost it after a phone melt down. You might try a smith who uses his stuff, they might have one laying around. I have two but they are currently stuck between a barrel and receiver each, sorry

• Haha
Reactions: Terry of illinois

What's so special about a DD Ross recoil lug that all the other ones out there on the market doesn't offer? It's a piece of metal that someone with limited machine shop experience could make. There is no magic in a recoil lug.

I bought one directly from Dan. I'm building a rifle the same way. Leave him a message and he will call you back, though it might not be immediately. I bought the bottom metal and the recoil lug from him. When I finally did get a hold of him he shipped it out right away. I don't know of anyone else right now that carries his lug so you may have no other choice but to call him. Good luck with your rifle. Be sure and post some pics when you're done.

I think the big deal is he is going for authenticity.

I think that I am going to go with a Tubb because I have heard nothing but goo things about them. Also, Tubb offeres a stainless lug which will go along with the stainless barrel. If anyone has an opinion on Tub then I woulod gladly like to hear it.
Semper Fi,
Robert S.
SGT/USMC