• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone load 7.5x55 Swiss?

Old thread I know... I am burning up some PPU to reload. What are you guys seeing for average group sizes with PPU 7.5 Swiss. I am getting just a bit over 2MOA at 100 yards. Should it do better? Is that average? Worse??

I plan to use 175gr matchkings with PPU brass, Fed 210 primers, and IMR 4064 for my first loads. Might try some Hornady 150gr 3037s since I have 200 of them left over too.

I have excellent luck with 43.9 gr of IMR 4064 with a 168 BTHP or polymer tipped bullet.........doesn't really matter which. This happens to be the "accuracy load" in the Sierra manual. I shoot local Swiss rifle matches and regularly place groups into 5 " or so at 300 meters in a sling. Diopter sights. With these rifles, once you figure out what you want to look at and establish a good position, they will shoot extremely well. My opinion, but they are likely the most accurate of the Milsurps. There is competition of course. ; )

Bumping again.
Picked up a K11 with an excellent bore.
Serial number is 42xxx with soldiers tag under the butt plate. Only scored 10 rds of GP11 with it.

I've got 175gr SMK and TMK on hand along with Hornady dies and 50 Norma brass.

Looks like RL17, IMR 4350 and IMR 4064 are the go to's. I've got no data for RL17 in my books though, and none of those powders on the shelf. Yet.

Any hide favorites to start with?

Last edited:
Bumping again.
Picked up a K11 with an excellent bore.
Serial number is 42xxx with soldiers tag under the butt plate. Only scored 10 rds of GP11 with it.

I've got 175gr SMK and TMK on hand along with Hornady dies and 50 Norma brass.

Looks like RL17, IMR 4350 and IMR 4064 are the go to's. I've got no data for RL17 in my books though, and none of those powders on the shelf. Yet.

Any hide favorites to start with?
You went to Simpson’s didn’t you.....🤫 lol

Life made me a bit absent from here, but retirement fixed all that. 👍

I literally dug my 1911 and K11 out of the safe yesterday. Dusted off the load notes. Dug out the dies. Prepped some 3 year old cases.

I had a phenomenal loading using:
Federal 210 primers
PPU Brass
175gr SMK
RL17 @ 46.8gr
2.410” CBTO

It yielded 2516fps @ 153’DA and 7/8” groups at 100y using the 1911 and the SwissProductsUSA diopter sight. No pressure signs. I actually started working up from 43.0gr and worked my way up. I’m happy here. No need to hot rod.

**Standard Warnings apply. Load at your own risk. Professional driver on closed course. Objects in mirror closer than they appear. Slippery when wet. Bathtubs can be hazardous. etc....**

Getting back at the bench today made me happy.....

You went to Simpson’s didn’t you.....🤫 lol

Life made me a bit absent from here, but retirement fixed all that. 👍

I literally dug my 1911 and K11 out of the safe yesterday. Dusted off the load notes. Dug out the dies. Prepped some 3 year old cases.

I had a phenomenal loading using:
Federal 210 primers
PPU Brass
175gr SMK
RL17 @ 46.8gr
2.410” CBTO

It yielded 2516fps @ 153’DA and 7/8” groups at 100y using the 1911 and the SwissProductsUSA diopter sight. No pressure signs. I actually started working up from 43.0gr and worked my way up. I’m happy here. No need to hot rod.

**Standard Warnings apply. Load at your own risk. Professional driver on closed course. Objects in mirror closer than they appear. Slippery when wet. Bathtubs can be hazardous. etc....**

Getting back at the bench today made me happy.....
No, not Simpsons, but a small shop I've never stopped in before. My son had told me they had one.
I remember years ago, Simpsons had round Swiss racks full of K31's for $300 or so. Looked at them a lot and now kick myself for not getting one.

Thanks for the data. Happy to read you are getting out and enjoying your retirement.

Thank you. For those who’ve been here before...it’s an “adjustment” as you know. Spent the fall hunting birds and working on the 40 year old ”Honey-Do” list. For various reasons, life seemed to come to a grinding halt about 2019.

Anyhow....

Im looking forward to diving into the K11. I hadn’t put more that a dozen or so rounds thru it. Mostly GP11. With the 1911, I honestly couldn’t find a bullet or load that was truly unacceptable. They all work. I’ve also had great success previously using the same PPU brass and Federal primer, along with bulk Remington 165gr PSPCL’s and 44.8gr of IMR 4350. They pop out at around 2250fps but again, MOA or close to it out to 200yds and plenty good for a open sight hunting or general purpose load. I’m hoping the carbine reacts the same way. I’m pretty hopeful. I ordered up some Mojo sights for it. While I’m not a huge fan of glass on old guns like this, I’d entertain a non gunsmithing scope mount for it if I run across one.

Reactions: Halfnutz
When I get home, I’m sure it is listed in several older reloading manuals and I’ll try to dig up what they have with powders still in production.

IMG_20231128_222652599.jpg

IMG_20231128_222914529.jpg

I promise this isn't this way because I collect Swiss guns... But the 174 ELD-VT ended up being surprisingly close to the GP11 bullet and should be a good fit for 7.5x55 and probably even.30-06. Should be available in a couple weeks, we're just wrapping up the final testing on these.

When I get home, I’m sure it is listed in several older reloading manuals and I’ll try to dig up what they have with powders still in production.

I've been through, Sierra, Hornady,older Hodgdons, and an old Lee manual. 7.5x55 Not even listed in Nosler nor some of the Hodgdon.
RL17 isn't in any so far. My Lyman manual is pre RL17 and not sure if the cartridge is even in there.

Trying to recall where the RL17 data is from. The source might be the Swiss Rifle forum or the SwissProducts website. Whatever it was, I deemed it legit enough to load. I’m pretty conservative when it comes to this stuff.

Reactions: Halfnutz
I've been through, Sierra, Hornady,older Hodgdons, and an old Lee manual. 7.5x55 Not even listed in Nosler nor some of the Hodgdon.
RL17 isn't in any so far. My Lyman manual is pre RL17 and not sure if the cartridge is even in there.
Mine go back before any of the manuals you listed even existed. I’ll still look. Gonna be a week though.

I’ve yet to find a combination that shoots poorly. On the first go with the 4350, I recall looking at the groups and trying to guess if it was me or the load. They were all well under 2-3 inches...