• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Anyone Loading 7.62x39 with AA1680?

DirtyRod

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 4, 2009
Arizona
Unfortunately my AR does not like steel cases so the cheap stuff is out and I'm almost out of my Yugo stash. I'm working up AA1680 with Speer 123gr SP. Here's the issue.

Lyman lists a range of 23-25.7 so I started at 23 and am working my way past 25 and have yet to find an accurate load. Speer and Accurate list 26-28 as the range for 123gr bullets but normally Lyman is my GOTO manual so I'm leary of dismissing it and the Internet threads I've found are all over the place with the powder.

Anyone actually using 1680 for 123gr bullets? If so, whats your charge and velocity?

Re: Anyone Loading 7.62x39 with AA1680?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dirty Rod</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unfortunately my AR does not like steel cases so the cheap stuff is out and I'm almost out of my Yugo stash. I'm working up AA1680 with Speer 123gr SP. Here's the issue.

Lyman lists a range of 23-25.7 so I started at 23 and am working my way past 25 and have yet to find an accurate load. Speer and Accurate list 26-28 as the range for 123gr bullets but normally Lyman is my GOTO manual so I'm leary of dismissing it and the Internet threads I've found are all over the place with the powder.

Anyone actually using 1680 for 123gr bullets? If so, whats your charge and velocity? </div></div>

I load x39 for a Norinco 56S and AA-1680 is the go-to powder (among others) that was formulated just for the x39 cart.

Honestly, I haven't shot much of what I loaded, so I'm no real help there, but 25grs sounds like the middle of the road.

I used Hornady 123gr FMJ and I think some of their 123gr SPs.

Just split the difference at the low end and work your way up, in 5, or 10 round batches.

23grs sounds like the low side of things.

See what works best for your weapons, but I'd start at 24grs, or 25grs and move up in .5gr increments until I saw pressure signs.

FWIW, I remember reading one reloader's comments, who had a lot of experience with a lot of x39 through SKSs and AKs. He knew his reloading ABCs and he made the comment that he never could load ammo that shot better out of his Russian/Chinese weapons, than what he got out of the generic Wolf x39.

He surmised that they just know those weapons so well, that they have their 'shitty' ammo dialed in and it shoots really well out of the box.

Now, to be fair, I've read of other people loading pretty accurate ammo, so who knows?

Chris

I have used 1680 and the 123 bullet for plinking in an SKS and that's just about all it's good for considering the 308 bullet in a 311 bore. It's not a serious implement, in my opinion, I think I paid $80 for it? I don't think I would hesitate to use it as a jack handle, if I got stuck in a ditch. Not really, but shooting through screens would be a waste of my time, especially considering how this thing flings brass and recovery runs about 50% out in the weeds. Not much help, I know? BB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BuzzBoss915</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have used 1680 and the 123 bullet for plinking in an SKS and that's just about all it's good for considering the 308 bullet in a 311 bore. It's not a serious implement, in my opinion, I think I paid $80 for it? I don't think I would hesitate to use it as a jack handle, if I got stuck in a ditch. Not really, but shooting through screens would be a waste of my time, especially considering how this thing flings brass and recovery runs about 50% out in the weeds. Not much help, I know? BB
</div></div>

The Hornady 123 FMJ and SP bullets are both .310" bullets, so they're meant for bores that are .310"-.311".

Some of the Moisins were rebarreled (Finns) with .308" bores, so one has to be cognizent of what bore they actually have, on any particular rifle.

I can't speak to the SKS, but many are ~.310"-.311" bores, so the Hornady bullets would be the appropriate choice for that situation.

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MALLARD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i forgot my velocity but i used 24.5 of the 1680 in my sks. Whats your accuracy with the loads your using now ? </div></div>

Both 23 and 23.5 both yielded about 1.5" at 50 yards. As I moved up in .5 increments to 25 they grew to over 2 inches. By contrast the Yugo surplus ammo I usually shoot is about 1.25" at 100 yards. Also the POI is drastically different than everything else I shoot. I'm used to POI being off and inch or so at 100 yards from factory when I load for my other rifles but the shift was 4" down and 5" left of the factory POI at 50 yards. I know the POI will move up as the velocity increases but it was just surprising to see that big a POI shift. I guess it's also possible that my AR just does not like that bullet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisGarrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">eading one reloader's comments, who had a lot of experience with a lot of x39 through SKSs and AKs. He knew his reloading ABCs and he made the comment that he never could load ammo that shot better out of his Russian/Chinese weapons, than what he got out of the generic Wolf x39.

He surmised that they just know those weapons so well, that they have their 'shitty' ammo dialed in and it shoots really well out of the box.</div></div>

That would be tragic considering the $400/case that some of these folks are asking for Yugo. Thx Chris. I guess I will keep moving up past 25 and watch for those pressure signs.