• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Anyone make a quality T10 torx bit?

Danley

Minuteman
Does anyone make a QUALITY torx wrench or bit set? Seems every time I pick up a T10, I end up twisting or breaking it. I've bought enough of these over the years to own stock in some cheap Chinese company .... Rant Over

After being frustrated with all torx bits used in the past, Lisle have proven themselves to me. Also, the one I am really impressed with is the Milwaukee T15 bit I use with my 12v impact. I am still on my original one and use it daily.

After being frustrated with all torx bits used in the past, Lisle have proven themselves to me. Also, the one I am really impressed with is the Milwaukee T15 bit I use with my 12v impact. I am still on my original one and use it daily.
That surprises me, I never had good luck with Lisle bits. I actually like most Lisle tools, but these weren't one of them.

I prefer Snap-On for the quality of their tools and in a business environment they're my first choice.

At home, even though the quality is not the same, I'll go with Craftsman for two reasons - most times I can get two or three Craftsman widget turners for the price of the equivelant Snap-On, and when I break the tool I don't have to hunt down the Craftsman guy. Even if the local sears doesn't carry the tool, they'll send it to the house.

Snap-on torx bits are nothing great. We break close to 100 a year. Nice thing is the snap on man stops by a few times a month and replaces them. I have never been able to find good torx bits.

Matco is pretty good but if your using it full time expect periodic replacement. I go through at least one every two to 3 weeks.

gotta love the warranty and service of on site delivery once a week.

c.

A lot of this problem is miss use. By that I mean it is easy to not fully insert the bit square into the fastener, that is probably the #1 killer of the T bit. Also make sure you have the correct size. Remember you are dealing with a driver that is the same diameter or slightly smaller than the fastener its self so you lose a lot of the torque advantage you have with hex. So if it is rusted use a good penetrant and maybe even a few good wraps with a hammer and a punch (the punch needs to fit inside the star of the head of the fastener). And if you get in a bind you can always use a punch slightly larger than the T size to peen the head of the bolt back down if it gets opened up. And last resort some allen wrenches will fit nicely into a torques for an emergency extraction...

Oh with the Snap On bits get the gold colored ones they seem to last the best for me, stay away from blue point.

I prefer Snap-On for the quality of their tools and in a business environment they're my first choice.

At home, even though the quality is not the same, I'll go with Craftsman for two reasons - most times I can get two or three Craftsman widget turners for the price of the equivelant Snap-On, and when I break the tool I don't have to hunt down the Craftsman guy. Even if the local sears doesn't carry the tool, they'll send it to the house.

Fuck Craftsman with a barbed wire dildo. Their screwdrivers and torx drivers are JUNK. Actually, every single thing made with that name on it now is junk. 99% of all my hand tools are Craftsman because I started collecting them in my late teens/early twenties. They were ok for homeowner/light shop use back then. Now I wouldn't even buy that junk to keep around the house. I'd get Kobalt or Husky crap long before I'll buy Chinese Craftsman products again.

I can tell you this ... Craftsman, Kobalt & Husky smaller torx bits will twist and break. I've even used Protos with not so great results. The smaller bits just seem to suck.

Like previous posters stated Snap-on MAC or Matco. They last and the guys on the truck swap them out if you can shear one.

+1 for lisle or wiha. the lisle are a bit are easier to find locally, a decent auto parts store should be able get them in sets or individually.

I like square head bits. Problem is, not enough square head fasteners. Recreational vehicle manufacturers use them extensively.

A lot of this problem is miss use. By that I mean it is easy to not fully insert the bit square into the fastener, that is probably the #1 killer of the T bit. Also make sure you have the correct size. Remember you are dealing with a driver that is the same diameter or slightly smaller than the fastener its self so you lose a lot of the torque advantage you have with hex. So if it is rusted use a good penetrant and maybe even a few good wraps with a hammer and a punch (the punch needs to fit inside the star of the head of the fastener). And if you get in a bind you can always use a punch slightly larger than the T size to peen the head of the bolt back down if it gets opened up. And last resort some allen wrenches will fit nicely into a torques for an emergency extraction...

Oh with the Snap On bits get the gold colored ones they seem to last the best for me, stay away from blue point.

I find that when tearing down a rifle, this is when the tool mortality rate goes up. One has to understand that in a shop like this, we see a whole lot of traffic. The shooting world as a whole has a rather broad interpretation of how tight a screw should be, how much thread locker should be used, and the quality of both the screw itself and the tool used to install it.

None of this means an easy life for a torx bit regardless of who manufactures it.

-That said:

I have two that came with Sandvik tooling inserts that I bought close to 15 years ago. I couldn't begin to tell you what the steel type is, but these two screwdrivers show ZERO signs of wear. It tells me that there IS a material out there that'll stand up to hard use. Just wish I could buy a whole set of them cause I'd have 5 sets on the floor right now.

C.

I've been happy with my S&K set I also have Craftsmen and Snap-On. I would get a set that is sold somewhere local so you can get a replacement in short order instead of having to wait for the toolman (Snap-On, Mac, Matco, Cornwell etc.) to come back (usually in a week if you keep buying), I try to have a spare there just incase.

Dave

I have some Hilti torx bits that are holding up well but they are not being used professionally.