• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone making a bolt gun in 6mm ARC?

No reason you cant have one made. A friend just told me that Preferred Barrel Blanks makes a 1500 mini prefit. If they'll chamber in ARC, you're good.

Reactions: 338dude
I have a 6mm ARC Gas Gun. I love it.

My question would be, why would you want a 6mm ARC bolt gun?

Other than buying the same ammo for both, the 6mm ARC's benefits are that the round will fit in the AR15 Pattern. But a 6mm CM or other 6mm round will shoot the same projectile faster and farther out of a bolt gun.

The Commercial loads are loaded lighter to fit the AR pressure limits, so if you're going to load your own to handle the increased bolt pressure capacity, you might as well load another 6mm round that fits a standard short action.

Finished breaking in the Savage 6mm ARC in GRS Stock. Over 100 rounds now thru it and starting load development. Originally a Savage 10 6.5 Creedmoor. Re-barrel to 6mm ARC and changed out the Bolt face to a PTG PPC Bolt Face. 24" 1-7 twist Shaw Barrel. Using MDT Metal Mag SA-12 Round 6BR Magazine. The 224 Valk Magazines will also work. Savage GRS 1.jpg

I'd be tempted to switch a Mini I have. As far as why a bolt gun in 6mm ARC, the same thing was said about all the "lesser" cartridges on same caliber. Kinda like why bother with 6.5Creed when there is 6.5PRC. I truly enjoy my 6.5Grendel and even with all my friends using Creedmoor I have not felt lacking for my needs. To each there own. Ying vs Yang

Other than buying the same ammo for both, the 6mm ARC's benefits are that the round will fit in the AR15 Pattern. But a 6mm CM or other 6mm round will shoot the same projectile faster and farther out of a bolt gun.

The Commercial loads are loaded lighter to fit the AR pressure limits, so if you're going to load your own to handle the increased bolt pressure capacity, you might as well load another 6mm round that fits a standard short action.

I had my smith ream out the Howa Mini Action bolt face to run a 6 BRA cause I wanted a little more than the 6.5 gr or 6 arc would give.

I was originally gonna run a 22 grendel, but I like the 6mm and the 6BRA fits in the mini, so...

I think there is a 6 arc Howa mini prefit barrel in the classifieds...

Not ARC but I’m thinking of getting a 6.5 Grendel barrel/bolt/mag for my TL3.

Why? Just because, and I happen to have a shitload of components. Thinking an 18” #5 to keep it lighter.

Reactions: tmcgowan1911

I kind of concur with this thinking. It's just my personal preference but I like having guns that do different things and have different capabilities. The 6ARC is appealing to me because it fits in an AR platform and can more than double the range of that small frame type of rifle. Once my barrel is done I will purchase an optic then I am all set (minus of course brass and bullets which hopefully I come by within the next couple of months while waiting on my barrel).

I have definitely long since been thinking about building a bolt gun (I am a gas guy for now). But I personally don't see the appeal to having two guns in the same chambering (with limited exceptions to that 'guideline). If all things were equal and I could just pick whatever I want there are a lot more options in the bolt world that have better performance than the 6ARC. That is no knock on the ARC by any means.

The only real downside to having different calibers is maintaining supplies of everything. Hence recently I cut back on a few calibers (for the most part) relative to what I had before to better manage supplies for reloading. If you have 7 or 8 calibers keeping the right bullets, brass, powder, primers, etc all in stock and setting up for each one when you want to load for it becomes a bit cumbersome. That said if you keep it (in reference to the total count in the gun room aspect) to say 4 or 5 you can stack supplies a lot deeper and still get your jollies. For example I had stuff that I haven't shot for at least two years (maybe longer) just sitting around so eventually I got out of that caliber in favor of something I will shoot more often and can consolidate my efforts on.

For pure performance though there are a ton of options out there for a bolt gun. For gas guns, to do what the 6 ARC does, the list is short. It's one name deep with a possible second option in the Grendel variant. Other than those two where are you going to go for a thousand yard small frame AR platform?

You can buy the 6arc Hornady match ammo for $20 per box and it’s still on the shelves. Decent choice for someone that shoots local matches

Can't find it quite that cheap here, but $24 across the border in OR.

I have a 6mm ARC gas gun, and loads of 105 BTHP Hornady to feed it.

Was just wondering on the bolt guns.

Haven't taken the gas gun out yet. Snowpocilypse and all.

You can buy the 6arc Hornady match ammo for $20 per box and it’s still on the shelves. Decent choice for someone that shoots local matches

I bought a 6.5grendel Howa mini barreled action that I plan on rebarreling in a 6ARC Carbon fiber barrel and a light stock to see how light of a rifle I can get.

Reactions: RMB
Go buy you a savage action and swap out the bolt head. Or even better get an origin. Problem solved. 👍🏼

I have 2.

One is an 18" CZ 527 with a modified Bartlein #4 contour (buzzed shank down to fit the receiver) light weight hunting rifle. The other is an ARC Nucleus with a 28" barrel... PRS/NRL rifle.

Why a 6 ARC bolt gun? Barrel life for one. The 28" barrel still shoots great at 2500+ rounds I just pulled it to spin up and break in a Bartlein and a Kreiger. I'll finish running it to ground eventually. The barrel with 2500 rounds looks about like 800 rounds in a 6.5 Creed as far as throat condition. Bore area vs. powder charge is close to .223 remington.

Recoil is minimal. With the 28" barrel I can still get 2880-2940fps with CFE223 and LeverEvolution (book loads, nothing crazy). 2750-2775 with Varget. Factory 108's run 2815ish. This with 108-110gr bullets. It's kind of just enough for PRS/NRL. Hangs in there with the BR/Dasher crowd.

In the 18" CZ I'm pushing 103 ELD-X's at 2750 or so, and factory 108's are ~2600.

Fun little cartridge, don't have to worry about burning the barrel out, hardly any recoil. Basically get a .223 recoil and a 6.5 creedmoor trajectory.

I have 2.

One is an 18" CZ 527 with a modified Bartlein #4 contour (buzzed shank down to fit the receiver) light weight hunting rifle. The other is an ARC Nucleus with a 28" barrel... PRS/NRL rifle.

Why a 6 ARC bolt gun? Barrel life for one. The 28" barrel still shoots great at 2500+ rounds I just pulled it to spin up and break in a Bartlein and a Kreiger. I'll finish running it to ground eventually. The barrel with 2500 rounds looks about like 800 rounds in a 6.5 Creed as far as throat condition. Bore area vs. powder charge is close to .223 remington.

Recoil is minimal. With the 28" barrel I can still get 2880-2940fps with CFE223 and LeverEvolution (book loads, nothing crazy). 2750-2775 with Varget. Factory 108's run 2815ish. This with 108-110gr bullets. It's kind of just enough for PRS/NRL. Hangs in there with the BR/Dasher crowd.

In the 18" CZ I'm pushing 103 ELD-X's at 2750 or so, and factory 108's are ~2600.

Fun little cartridge, don't have to worry about burning the barrel out, hardly any recoil. Basically get a .223 recoil and a 6.5 creedmoor trajectory.

That's awesome. I didnt need another 6cm or 6xc. I wanted a mild 6mm, just a little more than ARC would give, thats why I went BRA in the mini action. But your 18" velocity is pretty dang good. Makes me wonder if I couldn't have gone with a shorter barrel in the 6BRA. I just couldn't find a lot on short barreled 6br variants with heavy bullets so erred on the longer side.

Interesting comparison to the 6.5 cm. There aren't any mild 6mm out there in common factory loads. They are all barrel burners. Weird. .223 to 22-250, 6.5 cm 260 rem to 6.5prc .264 and .308 to .300 everything magnum. There is a wide variety in other calibers, but people think it strange in 6mm. Even I thought a slow 6mm was strange for a while, but you put it in words.

6mm has pretty well been .243 and now 6cm for factory stuff. Only benchrest and wildcatters have a mild load 6mm.

Reactions: Ledzep
I think the BR variants could probably benefit from the ball powders that the ARC does, if not a shade slower burn rate. Power Pro 2000 and LeverEvolution. You lose temp stability but as long as you test it once or twice and track temps it's not horrible.

Savage announced models of the 110 Tactical (57770) and the Axis II (57769) chambered in 6mm ARC for 2021.

Reactions: hereinaz
I think the BR variants could probably benefit from the ball powders that the ARC does, if not a shade slower burn rate. Power Pro 2000 and LeverEvolution. You lose temp stability but as long as you test it once or twice and track temps it's not horrible.

I will keep that in mind. I went 22 inches and would shoot 95s if I need more velocity. Based on your 18" numbers I don't think I have much to worry about.

Reactions: Ledzep
For those curious, I got scared and pulled that barrel at 4500 rounds. It still shot Varget hand loads fine but started opening up a bit with Factory 108's.

Reactions: trdjohn
Anyone have any new Bolts since last year? I'm still sold on 6ARC in general and will be looking to build a bolt gun this season maybe. I wish Ruger did 6ARC stock. Howa/Tikka/Bergara/Savage look like good options.

Howa announced they will have the Mini in 6ARC available shortly. My Mini Grendel is more than accurate for all but serious competition.

But it is buy and shoot. Some people still don't reload. For those that reload that's a crazy statement but very true.