• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone mod a Sako TRG cheek piece with riser to allow bolt removal?

bhart89

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2009
LA
I have a TRG 42 with a 10mm cheek piece spacer that gives me a perfect weld with the 35moa cant Badger rail and medium rings. The problem is that I need to use an Allen wrench to completely remove the cheek piece to get the bolt out for transport and cleaning.

Has anyone modified their cheek piece to allow bolt removal without needing an Allen wrench?

I sympathize with your desire to be able to remove your bolt without removing the cheek piece. I just have an aversion to a permanent modification that entails cutting off, or out, pieces of my rifle. Adding parts is OK because you can remove them later on, but once removed, you would need to buy a new cheek piece if you ever wanted to return the rifle to stock. And as you already know, parts from Sako are spendy.

Perhaps rather than modifying the Sako cheekpiece, consider modifying, or making a riser that you can easily remove. Something that has a 10mm riser that you can remove with a wing nut type affair. Maybe a 10mm high cheekpiece that wraps over the stock piece, then clamps under the Sako cheekpiece and is easily removed.

I have a TRG 42 with a 10mm cheek piece spacer that gives me a perfect weld with the 35moa cant Badger rail and medium rings. The problem is that I need to use an Allen wrench to completely remove the cheek piece to get the bolt out for transport and cleaning.

Has anyone modified their cheek piece to allow bolt removal without needing an Allen wrench?

Exact reason why I'm getting the KRG folding chassis for my TRG. As well when shooting prone and dust gets in the hole it acts as an abrasive and cuts up your cheek. Especially on a 42. Love the gun but not happy about that shitty riser issue.

Its not that bad. 2 minutes its off, pull the bolt do your thing 2 minutes its on..

While it hasn't happened to me yet, I can easily see me getting to the range with my cheek piece off and not having the right Allen wrench to get it back on. That's the type of luck I have. Maybe what I need is a way to secure the Allen wrench to the stock some way so that it's never not around.

While it hasn't happened to me yet, I can easily see me getting to the range with my cheek piece off and not having the right Allen wrench to get it back on. That's the type of luck I have. Maybe what I need is a way to secure the Allen wrench to the stock some way so that it's never not around.

Triad Tactical, Inc.*::*Rifle Slings*::*TAB Gear Sling Thing. Great way to keep an Allen key or two on your rifle. Just don't forget your sling. Also has a spot for a battery if your scope if needed.

I'll admit to not being personally familiar with the 42's stock issue, but if you're seeking a modification, it may be worth your time to ask Stockdoc if it's something he can do. He does a lot of cheekpiece conversions on Manners and McMillans. He just added the adjustable cheekpiece to my A4 a few weeks ago.
It may not be something he'd get into, but he does great work and is a true genteleman to do business with so wouldn't hurt to check with him.