• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

anyone own a chrono?

Re: anyone own a chrono?

Only if you want to have half a clue of what your ammo are doing.

Just about as useful as a set of dies, but you don't have to reload to use it.

Cheers,

Doc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only if you want to have half a clue of what your ammo are doing.

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>
LOL, so true Doc!

I own two of em!

Helps you track a number of things- velocity for various loads, extreame spread, max deviation... All of the various things that tell you how your load work-up is going. Chrono and targets- you can't go wrong!

Yeap, I don't think I would load without one any more. Suckers are just too handy.

I just bought a CED M2, I never trusted the Chrony chrony I used to have, this one is fast and easy to setup, the controls are easy to use, and I trust the readings, part of LR load development is seeing what your SD/ES are, small groups at 100 mean nothing if your SD is 50 or more at 1k.

Depends on what you're loading for and why.

If you're loading ammo for a .30-30, or even .270, for deer hunting to 200 yards, no. I don't find mine of much use for handgun ammo either. For competition or long range hunting, yeah.

I highly recommend a chrony for anyone doing any reloading. I know I use mine quite a bit. It's very telling data for the loads you develop -- and essential for developing a data card. It's also pretty handy for everything from .22 load testing to arrows from a bow or crossbow.

Besides ... you can usually pick up a baseline Chrony brand device from Midway USA for under 75 bucks.

Bear

It depends on what you expect out of your handloads.

As posted earlier, if you are going to hunt out to 200 yds or so with a 270 it would be nice, but not necessary.

If you expect optimum performance at extended ranges, a chronograph is a necessity. Reloading manuals and load charts are too generic. You will need to know how your rifle performs with a given load to generate accurate "come-ups".

Paul

Would not be satisfied loading without one. They are invaluable for using ballistic programs and knowing what your load is doing....not just velocity but consistency also.

Easiest question ever posted on SHide.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Yes</span>.

I own 2 -- a PACT and a CED. I've had inconsistent results with my CED (w/o infrared screens) compared to the results when chono'd at natls level matches. Others have had no problems so maybe I got a dud. A few buddies have Oehlers (the gold standard) and Chrony's. My PACT IV measures very well. All good choices.
I can't imagine even if I was only a hunter (vs. comp shooter) not having an idea of my velocities when reloading. Rifle or pistol.
How would you run a dope sheet without your velocity at the DensityAlt that you shoot at?

Anyway, a solid investment.

Hand loading without a chrono is like drag racing without an E.T. All the changes you make might make you feel all warm and fuzzy but you'll never really know if it's doing you a damn bit of good ...or if you've just set a new world record.

I have found a chrono to be very useful if you are interested in what you loads are doing in your gun.

Reloading manuals will give a general velocity for the particular conditions and firearm used. But every gun is different(barrel length, twist), conditions, etc.

IMHO

Imagine if load books did not list a velocity.

That is what your range reports would read like, if you didn't have a chronograph.

The other guys don't want to read your range reports, unless they have velocity data.

I have been shooting for years varmint hunting only and most all my shooting has only been a couple hundred yards. I also have been reloading a long time and never have used a cronograph. I sold most all of my stuff to get into tactical shooting long distance. From reading what is on here it sounds like i should invest in 1. Is having 1 going to help in long range shooting in developing a load. I am going to have to try and find some reading material here because i am very interested in learning more about this.

Would you rather know what you're shooting instead of just guessing about it?

My Oehler is useful when developing loads for a specific rifle, and whenever I have to change ANY component of the load for a specific rifle.

But, if you don't care what you're loading/shooting, you don't need a chronograph.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RJ Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just use a stopwatch.</div></div>

Oh yeah.

LMFAO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only if you want to have half a clue of what your ammo are doing.

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>

Yes you need one. I use my chrono to get my bullet speed and then I plug that number along with my ballistic coefficient into a ballistic calculator to figure out where to dial my scope at various ranges past 200. I tested it on the range and found the calculator was within 2 clicks on my scope of being dead on. Saves me a lot of ammo. I also use it to make sure my pistol and rifle reloads make power factor for three gun.
Pat