• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision anyone own the LDI ITAL/OTAL Class I ir?

SkaerE

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2001
The only blue part of VA :(
just looking for a decent priced IR laser, hopefully that will be able to go out to +/- 200 yrds

seems for the $525 from TNVC its a better deal than the $350 for the lasermax since the ITAL comes with a pressure switch and actual adjustments for aiming. (as opposed to mini set screws)

also, what exactly is the difference between the ITAL and OTAL? I assume OTAL is offset to a side but couldnt find a pic showing the 2 mounted.

thanks

Re: anyone own the LDI ITAL/OTAL Class I ir?

Correct, OTAL = Offset Tactical Aiming laser which is good for mounting at your 12:00 position and you have a fixed front sight post.

ITAL = In-line (center line with your bore), which is great for nothing standing in your lasers way when mounted at the 12:00.

Vic

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SkaerE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so nobody uses one? </div></div>

I use one on a weekly basis, both the ITAL and OTAL. What is it further you need to know? :)

first to be sure it has a good usable dot out to about 200yrds.

second, which one should i get if I have no front sight to worry about - does it matter offset or not?

and third, i was really hopin for an unbiased opinion from someone who doesn't sell them.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SkaerE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">first to be sure it has a good usable dot out to about 200yrds.

second, which one should i get if I have no front sight to worry about - does it matter offset or not?

and third, i was really hopin for an unbiased opinion from someone who doesn't sell them.
smile.gif
</div></div>

While Vic is a mfg. authorized dealer on these devices, he's not one to give a biased review just to sell one. His advice is solid.

The output will be fine on either the Class 1 OTAL or ITAL for work out to 200 yards. Just make certain you've got LDI's most current (higher output) 0.7 mW laser package and you'll be good to go.

From purely an alignment standpoint, if you don't have a front sight base to reckon with, it makes more sense to go with the in-line (ITAL) model, as a key objective for all sighting systems (in my opinion) is to eliminate as much offset from the boreline as possible.

I am adamant about using my iron sights wherever possible. For this, I find that nearly all laser aiming devices designed for top rail (12 o'clock) mounting, such as the ATPIAL, DBAL, and ATILLA occlude more of the overall sight picture than I like, even though they do not obscure the front sight post. So, I will typically mount these devices on side rails or angled side rails, which naturally offsets the devices away from top center. Many others in field operations, who emphasize iron sight utilization, do the same.

With the DBAL, ATPIAL, and ATILLA, there are two lasers (one for aiming / designation and one for illumination) that need to be aligned. So naturally, each has to be offset to both sides from the center in order to be on the same device. With the Class 1 OTAL and ITAL, you only have one laser output (for aiming / designation). Technically, even the one laser emitter on either the the Class 1 OTAL and ITAL is "offset" in the chassis by the battery compartment; the way this is managed is by the placement of the rail mount in relation to the chassis + laser emitter. The rail mount placement on the ITAL puts the axis of the laser emitter in-line with the center line of the rail. The rail mount placement on the OTAL puts the axis of the laser emitter off-set to one side of but in parallel with the center axis of the rail.

All this to say that if you don't need to offset to get around an obstructed view (caused, for example, by a front sight base) on your primary weapon or one that you would swap your IR laser sight to, then there really is no reason to not go with the in-line laser emitter version.

Generally speaking, from a resale perspective, you will do better to select the aiming system that can be adapted to the broadest variety of applications possible - and that would be the OTAL. However, only you know if you have intention to resell the device.

So there you have it from two perspectives: (1) tactical operations, and (2) strategic economics!

IR-V

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IR-V</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SkaerE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">first to be sure it has a good usable dot out to about 200yrds.

smile.gif
</div></div>

While Vic is a mfg. authorized dealer on these devices, he's not one to give a biased review just to sell one. His advice is solid.

The output will be fine on either the Class 1 OTAL or ITAL for work out to 200 yards. Just make certain you've got LDI's most current (higher output) 0.7 mW laser package and you'll be good to go.

From purely an alignment standpoint, if you don't have a front sight base to reckon with, it makes more sense to go with the in-line (ITAL) model, as a key objective for all sighting systems (in my opinion) is to eliminate as much offset from the boreline as possible.

I am adamant about using my iron sights wherever possible. For this, I find that nearly all laser aiming devices designed for top rail (12 o'clock) mounting, such as the ATPIAL, DBAL, and ATILLA occlude more of the overall sight picture than I like, even though they do not obscure the front sight post. So, I will typically mount these devices on side rails or angled side rails, which naturally offsets the devices away from top center. Many others in field operations, who emphasize iron sight utilization, do the same.

With the DBAL, ATPIAL, and ATILLA, there are two lasers (one for aiming / designation and one for illumination) that need to be aligned. So naturally, each has to be offset to both sides from the center in order to be on the same device. With the Class 1 OTAL and ITAL, you only have one laser output (for aiming / designation). Technically, even the one laser emitter on either the the Class 1 OTAL and ITAL is "offset" in the chassis by the battery compartment; the way this is managed is by the placement of the rail mount in relation to the chassis + laser emitter. The rail mount placement on the ITAL puts the axis of the laser emitter in-line with the center line of the rail. The rail mount placement on the OTAL puts the axis of the laser emitter off-set to one side of but in parallel with the center axis of the rail.

All this to say that if you don't need to offset to get around an obstructed view (caused, for example, by a front sight base) on your primary weapon or one that you would swap your IR laser sight to, then there really is no reason to not go with the in-line laser emitter version.

Generally speaking, from a resale perspective, you will do better to select the aiming system that can be adapted to the broadest variety of applications possible - and that would be the OTAL. However, only you know if you have intention to resell the device.

So there you have it from two perspectives: (1) tactical operations, and (2) strategic economics!

IR-V
</div></div>

Thanks IR-V, there's something to be said with irons...Good detailed post as always.

Vic

This is the LDI AR-2A (same base unit as the ITAL/OTAL).

178_06.jpg

If you have a fixed front sight base this is a viable option as (1) it does not occlude your optical sight field of view any more than the sight base anyway (especially if your front sight is in the lower 1/3 of field); (2) it is in-line with your bullet ballistic path/arc (reducing parallax error); (3) you can align the red laser splash-point to where your optic red-dot (Aimpoint, Holo, or ACOG) is pointing and you're zeroed (I used 200 yards); and (4) it does not occupy any more of your Picatinny rail space.

Shortcomings: the switch cable may melt if you get into a no-shit throw-down where the barrel gets hot enough to burn flesh or melt soft stuff.

I carried a standard 435nm visible Red Super Power Point on my M4 through Shock-and-Awe when we started OIF. You can see it both with naked eye or PVS-14s and ANVIS.

i use an ital and have had no problems with it i can target up to about 200yds with my pvs 7a. the only kill ive made with it was on an armadillo at about 15 ft though.

Dam that was a MESS i Bet
grin.gif
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krazyh0rse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i use an ital and have had no problems with it i can target up to about 200yds with my pvs 7a. the only kill ive made with it was on an armadillo at about 15 ft though. </div></div>