• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Anyone Read A Good Fiction Novel Lately?

DT1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2006
Alabammer
Loved the early Clancy (RIP) and Forsyth novels. Also enjoyed reading Vince Flynn (RIP) and Brad Thor until the plots started running together and the story lines became shallow in deference to meeting publishing deadlines. Read most of the Reacher books and am a little burned out on him too.

Looking for a good action yarn with a well developed plot that might take an unpredictable turn or two. Something other than a former special forces super hero killing evil rag heads would be a refreshing change of pace.

Many thanks for any suggestions!

Not a new book but check out One Second After by William R. Forstchen..... It's not a shoot em up novel but a great look at society as it breaks down after a massive EMP attack on the eastern seaboard.

20000 leagues under the sea, and journey to the center to the earth, and Dracula

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

20000 leagues under the sea, and journey to the center to the earth, and Dracula

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Might need to revisit some of the classics. Thanks!

BTW, "She Caught The Katy And Left Me A Mule To Ride" is one of my all time favorite songs!

Edge of tomorrow. The movie is only loosely based on the book. the book is written by a Japanese Sci Fi writer, and he may be a "great" Sci fi writer.
I'm not going to bother with the film, since even the trails pretty much depart from the book.

I have 3 recommendations that are in a series. They are by Bartle Bull and are titled, The White Rhino Hotel, A Cafe on the Nile and The Devil's Oasis. In that order I think.

The White Rhino Hotel: A Novel: Bartle Bull: 9780786707980: Amazon.com: Books

If you dig any of Wilbur Smith's books based in Africa, you'll love this feller. Violence, sex, dangerous game and a freaky little dwarf. What could be better?
LX

Preston and Child beginning with Relic. The Strain Trilogy (yes, that one...) by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan. Outside Context Problem by Christopher Nuttall.

Another vote for One Second After. In the same vein, Earth Abides by George R. Stewart.

See Kindle Store on Amazon.

Greg

Last edited:
Many thanks for the suggestions guys! I should be gtg with reading material for awhile!

I got into Ben Coes and Ted Bell novels. These are two very good authors. The Ben Coes series are as good as the Mitch Rapp novels by Vince Flynn. I agree with you on Brad Thor. Some of his early stuff was pretty good, but lately he has dropped off.

Crime/detective/action
James Thompson . Detective, Kari Vaara Novels . there are 5 of them and pretty good read & style of writing .

two fiction series (scifi/fantasy)that i recommend to everyone. laurell k hamilton (anita blake series) and Terry goodkind (sword of truth series).

Anite blake is like hotty that kills vampires and end us becoming a succubus (more or less) that helps cops and kills bad guys and has lots of interesting freinds. Terry Goodkinds series is like Lord of the rings written by Ayn Rand. Especailly as get to like book 4 or 5. Both are amazing reads and deep in the material.

I'm a huge fan of the Punk's War trilogy by Ward Carroll. Written by a F-14 fighter jock, about F-14 fighter jocks, and is a great social commentary/satire about the ridiculousness of military duty, bureaucracy, and sometimes douchebag leaders.

CW2 by Layne Heath. Good novel about Huey pilots in Vietnam.

Dune by Frank Herbert is one of the all time great works of literature, in my opinion.

Anything by Nelson DeMille...it will keep you laughing and interested the entire way through. "The General's Daughter", "Up Country", any of the John Cory series..can't miss.
""

Gates of Fire by Stephen Pressfield is a must read if you haven't already. I've heard his other books are good too but I've never gotten around to them.

Read the Monster Hunter International books.

75da801783ac76c7aa600cfa4f6655e3.jpg

Last edited:
Anything by Nelson DeMille...it will keep you laughing and interested the entire way through. "The General's Daughter", "Up Country", any of the John Cory series..can't miss.
""

Agreed. Read the lion.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading"

-- Unknown

All of the Joe Pickett series from CJ Box. About a game warden in Wyoming. Very good fiction.

Deception Point by Dan Brown, the Angels and Demons author. Deception Point is not part of that series, but it is an excellent book. I have also been reading the Jack Reacher series of books by Lee Child, most of them are pretty good.

Old Clancy has been covered, but I just re-read Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger for the millionth time. Still good writing. Cant stomach any Jack Reacher books now that Tom Cruise fucked the character up.

If you like military fiction look at john ringo paladin series. first book is ghost. If you don't like books with some sex in it go ahead and skip the series. Theres sex through out the whole series. some books more than others. About an ex seal that buys an state in the country of Georgia and trains them into government contractors essentially.

If interested in mystery/thriller I like randy wayne white I believe is the author. it is the doc ford series and mostly based in the florida keys area.

Here's a list of my favorite "storytellers". Not fine literature, but fine story telling. I consider Stephen King to be among one of the finest story tellers of our time, though it's his older stuff, the longer novels, and his collections of short stories I find best. Favorites are The Stand: uncut version, and The Bachman Books (four short stories he wrote under the pseudonym Bachman). The Shining is great, but a completely different book than the movie. In fact, the only good Stephen King movie WAS the Shining, but that's because Kubrick directed it and knew the difference between film making and novel writing. Conversely, it's the adaptation King himself hates the most. King wrote a zombie book, Cell, where the cell phones turn people into zombies (kinda like how it is now, only worse).

Ken Follet is a good one too that covers a plethora of subjects. Pillars of the Earth is a FINE novel, if you haven't read it you need to --highly recommended. My mom and I loved it so much we used to think it should be part of the literature curriculum in high schools. A Place Called Freedom is a good one and Where Eagles Dare was about H. Ross Perot hiring ex-SF guys to rescue his employees during a hostage crisis.

I didn't like Clancy all that much, but I DID like Robert Ludlum a LOT. If you like Clancy, chances are you'll like Ludlum, you know, Bourne series, but Legacy was done by somebody else; the book's in the bedroom and wife's asleep, sorry. I liked all of Ludlum's stuff.

Smilla's Sense of Snow is just a good book. Native Speaker is another one, won lots of awards, was one I had to read for a college class several years ago. Forrest Gump is a great book and different than the movie (okay, every book is different than the movie!) and the same writer also wrote Better Times Than These, based on his experience in Vietnam. Catch 22 --a super classic for any military vet of any era!

Sure, all these are old and if you've read 'em all, sorry, but that's what came to mind when you said "good novels".

Have you read any of Andy McNab's novels? I found them all very enjoyable, plenty of action, and a bit of humour too.

The Sherlock Holmes novels are actually pretty good. They're short and fun to read . . . And mostly free on Kindle or other readers.

Read Lonesome Dove again last month. Still really good. Border Trilogy by McCarthy is even better.

Tim Dorsey's Serge A. Storm series.
Funny, violent, with a great deal of Florida trivia.

I've had to change shirts after spewing my drink while reading 'em.

Randy Wayne White with the Doc Ford series is fun also.
Marine biologist, ex-cia who likes boats and sea critters and a few women.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the reading Charlie Huston's series that followed Henry Thompson - Caught Stealing, Six Bad Things, and A Dangerous Man. I accidentally started with the second book, Six Bad Things, and really liked it, so read the other two books.

Off topic a bit . . . please pardon, but has there been and/or might there be a book section like the movie theater? Sniper's Hide Library?

Ok...I liked Matt Bracken's books as well as One Second After, and Lights Out!
Now if you would like to listen to a non fiction story on audio that sounds like fiction, you may
listen to the first interview I gave to Mel fabrigas called: the story of walt willis.
You Tube

all of the "What-IF" stories are scary as they tell of great hardship and suffering.
Some of the better ones are based on facts and others are just Sci-Fi fiction.
Funny how the old star trek TV series was made fun of back in the 60's and now we know that the technology is here today.

You have to ask yourself why our government wants to band firearms at the same time as they are gearing up for war?
They all ready have much secret technology that very few people are aware of that could out gun the rest of the world in a day or two.

Just finished the three novel/Ebook/Kindle series Outside Context Problem by Christopher G. Nuttall. I emphatically recommend it as a Syfy treatment with strong links to today's PC society. Mr. Nuttall cuts through the PC dross, calls a spade a spade, and deals with the true costs of all the current PC BS.

Just started his space opera Empire's Corps, which looks to be seven (so Far) sequellae on a common basis. Early to tell, but it looks like the clarity of mind the previous three books had established are carried through in this series as well.

Greg

If you like military fiction look at john ringo paladin series. first book is ghost. If you don't like books with some sex in it go ahead and skip the series. Theres sex through out the whole series. some books more than others. About an ex seal that buys an state in the country of Georgia and trains them into government contractors essentially.

SOME sex, LOL!

Try the author David Baldacci. He has several series, with some great characters. I have read most of his, and I am currently reading one.

Ill have to check out Reflections of a Warrior.

A few that I like:

"Without Remorse" by Clancy

"Clear and Present Danger"

"Lonesome Dove"

"Maverick Experiment" by Berquist - one of my favorites, written by a true CIA agent thats seen his share of combat, - CIA crew gets sent into Pakistan to work on their own in uncovering and taking out insurgents and also goes into a good bit of detail on the CIA`s bureaucracy