• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone rucked the App Trail?

ZLBubba

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2009
Maryland
I've been looking into taking on a real adventure for a while and I think this is going to be it. I'm a contractor these days and should be heading to A-stan in a few months. With the deployment cash, I figure I'll easily have enough for my wife to take care of herself while I'm on the AT and get decent gear that will hold up to the 5 month punishment of every day use.

I've hiked Mt Rogers in VA and that part of the trail is gorgeous. Absolutely God's country up there. I've always loved rucking anyway and taking an extended time off work to do it would be great before the kids start coming.

Has anyone rucked the full trail? Parts? I had a college buddy do the AT and is now a full-time sponsored backpacker. Here's his site. Skurka's a great dude. I think he's done the whole Appalachian Trail, the Pacific Trail, Coast-to-Coast, and the Alaska-Yukon Loop. Pretty impressive if you ask me.

Re: Anyone rucked the App Trail?

I have rucked a lot of the trail, not all at once tho.

Longest outing was started at the Southern Terminus them made my way North over 100 miles in less than 4 days. No where near the full trail but it was awesome. Distance was measure in FGD so who knows what it was conidering the elevation changes and cut backs.

One of those things I will continue to do and will remember it forever. Especially the Benton Mackaye, Coosa Bald, Springer...

v5l3i8.jpg

2z5oz7p.jpg

I did the AT south to north in 1967. Gear was primitive. I had a British packframe for hauling mortar ammo from the Korean war, a goose feather surplus bag which was of no value when it got wet, and wool clothing. No Goretex. No GPS. No polypro.

If you do the whole trail, it may ruin your life - you may never want to do anything again but walk. There are lots worse ways to ruin your life, though.

It's a spiritual journey.

Pack light. I recommend <span style="font-style: italic">Beyond Backpacking</span> by Ray Jardine for advice on gear, but ignore Ray's advice on food - it's terrible. Otherwise, it's a great book.

Lindy, I'm thoroughly impressed. Did you know that you are one of a handful of people to do it that year? The AT Conservancy only has two recorded people in 1967, though I'm sure a few more probably didn't register. That's an impressive feat long before we had all the high tech, light weight gear. My hat's off to you. Here's a link for the AT Conservancy year-by-year numbers if you're curious.

I'm hoping to cut my deployment to 6 months so that I can have all the necessary time before grad school. If not, grad school may simply have to wait. Those schools have been around for a hundred years, and they'll be around for at least a few more.

Yeah, I didn't register with what was, until recently I think called the Appalachian Trail Conference, although I used their maps which I got from somewhere else. I did have support from someone who mailed me stuff I needed. I was 21 that summer.

Today there is a lot more information.

I've been thinking about getting on one of the trail maintenance crews - they have some for us old guys, so we wouldn't be trying to be doing stuff which would kill us...
laugh.gif

I'll be doing some short hikes this summer up on the CDT in Colorado, but I have no ambition to do the whole trail. I'm just going to pick the really pretty parts.

And my Delorme GPS with topo maps of the whole CDT will make that a lot easier. I've had enough experience being lost.
laugh.gif

I have hiked portions of the AT over the years in various states:Georgia , Virginia , Maryland , Pennsylvania , New Hampshire , and Maine. I loved every minute of it , I could only dream of being able to go from Springer to Katahdin. The AT is special to me b/c it truly connects me w/ my family , I grew up in north Georgia and now live in central Maine. Good luck and enjoy.

my brother in law did the entire AT in 08. its definitely not the type of experience that it was years ago when my dad did long stretches of it. not to take away from the hiking part of it all, but there are now shuttles, hundreds of people, drinking binges, hotel stays, etc. its still a feat, but hardly primitive. its mostly party time on the trail from what he told me and its mostly all hippies.

We do the New Jersey portion regularly.

2lw3rbk.jpg

What time of year do you plan to go?

2hp4xsh.jpg

There was recently an excellent program I caught on PBS (yuck) about hiking the A.T. named "Appalachian Impressions".

Here is the trailer:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ahejMG3o4Bg&feature=player_embedded"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ahejMG3o4Bg&feature=player_embedded" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

You can order a copy of the program here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tigerbikes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We do the New Jersey portion regularly.</div></div>

I spent many nights on the AT in Jersey when i was a kid. I got introduced to it through summer camp in Sussex county (Fairview Lake) and the did more trips with my family. Awesome memories.

When I left my reserve unit in '03 alot of the staff and officers were worried that we would rarely ever see each other again. I came up with the idea that we would meet each year and hump a portion of the AT. We did it twice and nearly finished GA. Had a really good time but the others lost interest or just got busy with life after two years.
It's always been a dream of mine to through hike it from south to north. I've been to Baxter state park in Maine on my anniversary and saw the end.

I have not. A 60 YO former coworker has.

Nowadays, the term for this is called "through hiking". It has specialized gear associated with it. Granite Gear specializes in through hiking packs and gear. Basically it is a 30 pound max loadout with all gear tailored to the climate of the trail when hiked in good weather, along with the amount of food and water you need to be able to carry given the resupply points.

If you want more of a challenge, come do all 500 miles of the Colorado Trail.

http://www.coloradotrail.org/

I've been on both ends of it and several places in the middle.

The AT is pretty tame compared to the Pacific Crest Trail and the Continental Divide Trail. Both require a higher logistical effort, enhanced route-finding skills, and feature more terrain variation, i.e., the mountains are higher.

In 2001, Brian Robinson hiked all three trails in one 12-month period. That's an extreme accomplishment.

1999 I thru hiked the AT...
AT1999047.jpg

2000 I thru hiked the PCT...
PCT2000180.jpg

2001 I thru hiked the CDT...
CDT2001mtid006.jpg

My family has maintained a section of the trail approximately the last 60 years in Maine. I don't get to participate now because I'm on the wrong coast, but I firmly believe growing up spending lots of time on the trail was a major contributor in where I live today. Spending long periods of time out away from the distractions of the modern lifestyle will change your perspective. Or at least it should. However, people can probably get cell phone coverage all along it now and can hang out texting their buddies at night in the shelters. Perhaps it's not going to be the experience it was 20 years ago, but I would still highly recommend it.

Thanks to your family!

As cowboy_bravo has demonstrated, there's no reason to choose - do them all!

Warning: Long-trail hiking is addictive. It's changed the course of many lives. I would argue it changed them for the better - but not everyone may agree.

When you get to the end of a long trail, and you still have that nagging sense of something left undone, you may have a problem - but, fortunately, there are more trails than anyone can walk.

Cowboy Bravo, those are some seriously impressive accomplishments. That's some real grit right there.

Why the app trail and not the PCT or CDT? I just love the western mts more than the eastern ones.

I'm still in the planning phase, and after talking to Andy Skurka, he recommended the PCT as well. I've been an Easterner all my life, but I do love those western mountains more. All options are still on the table.

Pretty neat cowboy bravo. I wish we could get time off like that. I'd have to work extra shifts for a year to get half that. Well done

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm still in the planning phase, and after talking to Andy Skurka, he recommended the PCT as well. I've been an Easterner all my life, but I do love those western mountains more. All options are still on the table. </div></div>

Do the PCT then!!! The mountains there are just so much more spectacular.

The Appalachian Trail is a great experience but it is more of a social event. No matter how hard you try solitude is hard to find on the AT. Logistically, the AT is a piece of cake these days. Resupply is easier than ever and water sources are every where. The trail is very well maintained and it is virtually impossible to lose the trail

The PCT is by far my favorite long distance trail. The logistics are not terrible but they are tough enough to keep most of the idiots away from thru hiking it. The trail is well marked and maintained but you still need some basic navigation skills and basic map reading skills to stay on task. Water and food need to be planned out or you can find your self in a bit of a pickle. You can find solitude if you want it and a phenomenal outdoor experience.

A CDT thru hike I would not recommend to very many people. Logistically it is a nightmare. You need to do your research and plan out ever little detail and then have contingency plans because so much can change on this trail. The solitude is amazing but be prepared for other hikers wishing to tag along with you. I found a few hikers along the way who did not like being alone or could not handle the trail by themselves and shadowed me for long periods.. This was a bit annoying on a few occasions. The CDT is not technically finished and I doubt it ever will be. It is just too big and too remote for trail crews to keep up so you have to be on your game. Land Navigation better be your strong suit when doing the CDT. Water on the CDT is a nightmare. Most of New Mexico and parts of Wyoming will test your resolve when arriving at unsavory water sources. In Colorado I let my guard down when treating a water source and got a nasty case of Giardia. The CDT is a serious challenge. Last time I checked there were only averaging 15 people attempting a thru hike each year with about 50% of those finishing.

My dad did it at the age of 72... He really enjoyed himself. He went to support an 80 year-old that didn't complete it. Dad just kept on going, I swear that dude is tougher than woodpecker lips! I plan to do it with him when I retire from the Army.