• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone use the Snugpack bivvi shelter/snugpack bags?

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    Was going to be outside overnight again a few times this year in both the desert where the temps can swing 50+ degrees in a day from 110+ all the way into the 50s at night as well as further up north towards the mountains where it can randomly rain and be windy as hell and be in the 90s during the day and 30s/40s at night at some points.

When I did this last year, we either slept in the vehicle, had a tent and bags or made a sleeping setup out of pads/bags/tarps. It worked but wanted to get something together that I could stick in a ruck and use for this as well as if I'm by myself.

Has anyone used this bivvi? https://snugpakusa.com/product.php?id=74

What I like about it:

- Can roll it up and toss it in the side storage on a ruck
    - Its NOT GoreTex which when you are wet/damp, only heats up inside and you end up still damp
    - Zips completely closed instead of covers everything but your face/head. This is a must for me as the area has snakes and scorpions.
    - Weighs 2.5lbs
    - Waterproof/taped seams but still breathes
    - Looped setup so its not like you're just laying inside of a trash bag and you could actually figure out how to change clothes/get undressed while inside
    - Would probably work well by itself + blanket if needed in warmer temps and then supplement a sleeping bag for when its cold
    - From the vids I saw, setup takes like 2 minutes or less.

This seems to be the only zip top bivvi they offer as the reat are the 'open face' variants that I don't want as I don't need a snake/scorpion snuggle partner. Also seems to be a bit of an upgrade from the GoreTex mesh zip bivvi that is issued as the mesh 'face' was shit and always ripped, and the GoreTex really sucked if it got wet inside and/or you were wet when getting into it.

Figure for summer weather I could run this, plus a pad and blanket as needed and then for colder months I'd use a temperature appropiate sleeping bag like a Softie Merlin while inside. For 2.5lbs its basically a small tent at half the weight and much less setup and cargo space that can get stuffed into the side pocket of an Eberlestock.

Oh, and...

snug.jpg

Love my snugpack sleeping bag. Very versatile but no experience with their bivy. Looks cool so I may have to try one out. Thanks for the link.