• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Anyone Run a 2.5-10 on there stick?

hunter121

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2006
Washington
I just picked up a new stick (Nemesis Vanquish 308) and I was seriously considering picking up a 2.5-10x32 NF with the Velocity Reticule. I figure most of my shooting is inside of 600yds and if I wanted to go out further I can just dial out.

Anyone else run something similar? How do you like it? Should I just go with a NF 3.5-15x56?

Hunter121

Re: Anyone Run a 2.5-10 on there stick?

although not of the saliber of your scope.i have a 2.5-10simmons atac on the wifes 243 and she shoots steel out to 550 with it no problem.and yes as soon as funds are better shell recieve an upgrade on the scope guys.

i would go with the 3.5-15 just because why not? i find that right around 15 or 16 is a perfect magnification range for just about all shooting since it think that it gives the most amount of magnification possible without losing the bottom end of the magnification which can be very useful. IMO why buy an optic that could limit you when you can get something that you know can do it all while still keeping the bottom end of the magnification basically the same? Other than that, congrats on the stick. those things look awesome and seem to be a very functional design and based off of all the things ive read and videos ive seen, they are real shooters too.

The reason the 2.5x10 nightforce is appealing is because of the velocity reticule. Ranging and then just holding on the correct line would be a nice feature for hunting/ shooting steel. If NF made a 3.5-15x50/56 with the Velocity reticule it would be a no brainer for me. I do agree that the higher power NF would be ideal.

Thanks for the replys so far. Maybe if I call NF and beg them they might be nice enough to put the Velocity Ret. in a higher power NSX.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter121</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The reason the 2.5x10 nightforce is appealing is because of the velocity reticule. Ranging and then just holding on the correct line would be a nice feature for hunting/ shooting steel. </div></div>

Doesn't exactly work like that when shooting long range. In my opinion BDC reticles and turrets are a big step in the wrong direction.

I run a 2.5-10x42 mil/mil/ffp IOR on my 22-250 which is my main coyote calling gun. Dropped a coyote at 720yds with it the other day. Works great, and is light and portable.

I use a 2.5-10 on my Spr. Great magnification range. I shoot yotes and prarie dogs with it. No problem what-so-ever. I would prefer a little more on the high end, but then I loose the low end. Can't have everything.

I called and talked to NightForce and they are coming out with a 3.5x15x50 F1 with 1000 yd. velocity reticle. Should be available in late March or April.

I run that mag range on my hunting/target rig. 600 meters steel plates are no problem.

I started with a NF, but the 32mm objective gets really dark in lower light. I've since switched to the 42mm IOR.

Picture003-1.jpg

Picture003-4-1.jpg

had really good luck with mine. runs great at night under spotlight too. gathers plenty of light, like the different Illum. settings too !

100_01762.jpg

100_0178.jpg

100_01741.jpg

Scott_2009_101.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run that mag range on my hunting/target rig. 600 meters steel plates are no problem.

I started with a NF, but the 32mm objective gets really dark in lower light. I've since switched to the 42mm IOR.
</div></div>

How do you like the IOR? I was really wanting the new 2.5-10x42mm with the exposed turrents. But after reading Sc0's experience with IOR i'm extremely cautious now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> How do you like the IOR? I was really wanting the new 2.5-10x42mm with the exposed turrents. But after reading Sc0's experience with IOR i'm extremely cautious now. </div></div>

I like everything about it except the FFP. I miss the NF's SFP reticle when I'm hunting. I seem to find myself using this rifle in only two situations; the over 500 meters target shot for which I use 10x. The inside 50 meters hunting shot for which I'm using 2.5x. I took a rushed shot at 4-point whitetail last year. I got him, but had to stop and find the reticle first.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run that mag range on my hunting/target rig. 600 meters steel plates are no problem.

</div></div>

How do you like the IOR? I was really wanting the new 2.5-10x42mm with the exposed turrents. But after reading Sc0's experience with IOR i'm extremely cautious now. </div></div>

His problems were in 2007-8, IOR has made great improvements since and with their 35MM tubes, anyway, I have the IOR 2-12x32, it has worked perfectly for 2 years on a 6.5 grendel with a lot of miles and ammo through it, glass is great in any kind of light.
hope this helps.

Ah i see, i guess i might have to try the 2.5-10x42mm the price is just so good compared to the leupold/NF. Also love the MP8 Reticle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run that mag range on my hunting/target rig. 600 meters steel plates are no problem.

</div></div>

How do you like the IOR? I was really wanting the new 2.5-10x42mm with the exposed turrents. But after reading Sc0's experience with IOR i'm extremely cautious now. </div></div>

I don't think the 2.5-10 has had any issues. Ask Scott at liberty about their track record, he won't BS you and would know better than anyone else. It is my understanding that their 2.5-10 is an extremely solid scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> How do you like the IOR? I was really wanting the new 2.5-10x42mm with the exposed turrents. But after reading Sc0's experience with IOR i'm extremely cautious now. </div></div>

I like everything about it except the FFP. I miss the NF's SFP reticle when I'm hunting. I seem to find myself using this rifle in only two situations; the over 500 meters target shot for which I use 10x. The inside 50 meters hunting shot for which I'm using 2.5x. I took a rushed shot at 4-point whitetail last year. I got him, but had to stop and find the reticle first. </div></div>

Weird... I LOVE the fact that its FFP for hunting. Have not been in a single situation where the reticle was a problem. Keep in mind this scope is actually more of a 4-10x, as it tunnels below 4x.

I really like the IOr 2.5-10 on my daughters rifle, no problems so far out to 600yds.
url]
[/img]
url]
[/img]

I run a NF 2.5-10 on my AR10 [GAP] ...no probs to 1K steel.

I like its small size and big performance.... and I can't afford a S&B !

FWIW
Wes out

I have the NPR2 reticle in mine. I've been drilling targets with my AR15 for several thousand rounds before I transferred the scope to my 300 WSM hunting rifle. Works great, so far it's been pushed to 1273 with the 223 and 1038 with the 300 WSM. No trouble hitting.

Good to hear. More than likely will try it in 6 weeks. Can't beat it for the price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">had really good luck with mine. runs great at night under spotlight too. gathers plenty of light, like the different Illum. settings too !

Scott_2009_101.jpg

</div></div>
2hoif61.jpg

Your coyotes are bigger than mine. I love the 2.5 NXS. I have used the 24mm and 32mm with great success out to 1000 yards.

snc4dv.jpg

Thanks for the feedback and pictures, those NF 2.5-10x32 sure do look good. I am definitly intrigued by the idea of the F1 with the 1000yd Velocity Reticule.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter121</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am definitly intrigued by the idea of the F1 with the 1000yd Velocity Reticule. </div></div>

yeah, because its fun to have a reticle that is only accurate with 1 load at 1 speed, and will only work effectively to about 500yds in one atmospheric condition.
cool.gif

Look, mil/mil or moa/moa... pick one, learn it, and you will then know why BDC reticles and turrets are a joke if your application calls for shots past 5-600yds on small targets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Penguin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

yeah, because its fun to have a reticle that is only accurate with 1 load at 1 speed, and will only work effectively to about 500yds in one atmospheric condition.
cool.gif

Look, mil/mil or moa/moa... pick one, learn it, and you will then know why BDC reticles and turrets are a joke if your application calls for shots past 5-600yds on small targets. </div></div>

100% agree.

It's funny how some people just don't get it however. I get laughed at over on ARFcom for suggesting this approach. Those guys love, love their velocity reticles. Apparently shooting 1000 yards is as easy as buying the right reticle. Who knew?

I run a Weaver Classic Extreme in 2.5x10-50 on my 300WSM hunting rifle and love it. Wide field of view at low range and enough power to shoot deer our to 500yds or further if you are capable. I choose not to shoot anything past 400 but I have shot steel with it at 600yds with no issues and would imagine I could go out to 1000yds if needed with the 10x.

BJ

Most of my optics on my bolt guns are 10x... never really had the need for more. I think its a great choice go for it!

Get a scope with matching knobs/ret learn how to use the ret and be done with it.

Sorry but this goes back to giving a man a fish or teaching him to fish.

As many have said BDC limits you to a very specific set of variables. I see you are in WA, me too in in one month I can be in Crakima at 1K elevation and 80 degrees to sea level and 60 degrees on the wet side.

Get a log book and call your shots. Get enogh data to be able to predict what the bullet will do...feed the OCD dont be scared.

As for power I dont think anything can beat a 10 for an all around optic however it really depends on what you shoot at and how you get your kicks. Shooting yotes or steel 10 is great, for paper groups atlong range the extra magnification is certainly nice to have. One draw back to higher mag is mirage so consider that as well.

A06

Thanks again for the comments, I will leave the BDC Reticules for the Hunting rifles and stick with the Moa/Npr1 Nightforce scopes since I already have a few of them and I am familiar with them.

Looks like a NF 3.5-15x50/56 is whats on the to buy list. Thanks again for the comments and help guys.

This is a very interesting topic. I am also scratching my head on which scope to choose between the:
Sightron SIIISS 3.5-10x44LRIRMOA
Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50SFP

3-15, loose virtually nothing on the low end and gain 50% more magnification on the top end.

If size and weight is what you are going for that the 2.5-10 is 11oz lighter and smaller, which would be nice for a lightweight rifle but if you are already at 12# go with the 3-15

I have the 5.5-22 and nowadays I think I wish I went for the 2.5-10 just purely because of weight and size. The 2.5-10 is such a nice scope!

The other temptation would be the new S&B 1-8 which looks like such a cracker scope but I'd a need a joint venture with Visa to go there lol

OK, I'll stick my neck out here. I got stomped all over on another forum for saying this, but here goes....

My first Nightforce was a 2.5-10X32 with a velocity reticle. I bought it because according to everyone at the time, the Velocity reticle was the best thing since sliced bread. First, I was mistakenly advised to get the medium velocity reticle, when it was actually the low velocity reticle that I should have gotten. The Velocity reticle is very bullet weight/velocity specific. Even when you do get the reticle appropriate for your setup, the stadia lines are only an approximation of point of impact and are (from what I understand) only appropriate for larger game. It isn't a magic reticle that is going to take the math out of it for you. If fact, you may find yourself wishing that you could get more precise with it. It seemed to me to be a short cut to guesstimating.

If you want to be able to throw the scope on top of any rifle that you see fit, get a mil/mil or moa/moa reticle/turret setup, learn your dope and be done with it.

As for which scope to get, I have both the 2.5-10X32 (NP-1 reticle with zero stops that I use with a range finder) and a 5.5-22X50 (NP-R2 reticle with zero stops). Each has its advantages and disadvantages.

The 2.5-10X32 is small. Really small when compared to other scopes in its magnification range. It's relatively short and light, as compared to other "tank like" scopes. I've found the 10X to be more than appropriate for precision shooting out to 200 yards (shooting at MOA targets) and good for banging steel way beyond 200 yards. I'm sure that the scope is capable of more, but I'm still learning how to shoot. I really like the fact that the illumination can be adjusted with the knob on the side of the scope and have found the illumination to be useful when targeting either a dark target or against a dark background, even in bright sunlight. I don't mean to say that it is bright enough to be used as an illuminated reticle at all times in bright sunlight, but only that it is useful in situations in sunlight where you might loose the reticle due to the color of the target or background.

Unless I'm mistaken, all of the larger magnification scopes are about the same size, being HUGE. I like my 5.5-22X, but it's on a rifle intended for shooting from some sort of rest. When you consider the size of the larger NXS (on mine anyway), you have to factor in the sunshade, because you HAVE to use it. The front lens is right there at the end of the scope. I like the 22X for its crystal clear glass and magnification. When I'm shooting at 100 or 200 yards, I don't even take a spotting scope with me. I don't need it.

What I don't like about the larger NXS is that the whole eye piece turns when you adjust the magnification. So...there's no putting a flip up cap on the eye piece. I mean, you can, but it will get in the way at one point or another. I also don't like the fact that you can't adjust the illumination without removing the battery cap. The only control that you have immediate access to is the on/off switch. I have mine set so that it barely blooms in complete darkness. That setting has covered most situations for me.

Owning both, the 2.5-10X and the larger NXS (did I mention that it's big?) I can tell you this....if this is going on a bench gun that you won't have to carry very far, then get the bigger one and get as much magnification as you can stand. I know that most find the bottom end of the magnification range useful, but I didn't put that particular rifle together to shoot at 100 yards. For me, on that rig, 5.5 is plenty low enough. If this is going on a field rifle that will double as a rest and hunting gun and you can only have one scope, get the 2.5-10X. It will cover all practical situations in a practical manner. It won't get in the way, it won't make your rifle overly bulky, it won't add much weight, etc.

If I had to choose among my Nightforce scopes due to financial difficulties, I'd likely get rid of everything but the 2.5-10X. It's just plain the most useful and practical. I've had mine on a couple of ARs, a lever gun, my 10/22 and now my .223 bolt gun. It's a really cool scope.

You got stomped on for saying that? Your eval makes a whole lot of sense to me. Good work.

Yeah, apparently, I'm an idiot for having gotten the wrong reticle and then for not using it right, or something like that. Anyway, I haven't taken a pic of my .223 bolt gun with the 2.5-10X on it yet, but this is my .308 with the 5.5-22X on it. For reference, it's a 22" barrel.

DSC_0041.jpg

Don't get me wrong. I really like the 22X for its intended purpose. It's a super piece of glass for the price, the 10X is just handier and more than enough glass for most situations.

If you were new to shooting at the time hardly your fault either - or even if you weren't bad advice is bad advice. That velocity reticle just seems like a hassle to me, personally (if you dont plan on using the same kind of ammo every time!). Learn moa or mil and stick with it I say.

Just found a velocity reticle calculator on NF's site for people who are interested: http://www.exbalapplications.com/NightForce/(S(l5otnmqcstsv33453icgxe55))/NfMainForm.aspx

Live and learn. Other folks want to come down on you like they never made a bad choice or got bad advice. Screw 'em. I just wish learning lessons the hard way was cheaper.

I went and snapped a pic of my .223 with the 2.5-10X32 on top. It's an SPS Tactical with 20" barrel, but it has a Surefire brake on the end of it, so the barrel length is about the same as on my .308 above. Just as a point of reference.

DSC_0001-3.jpg

As you can see, the 2.5-10X is compact compared to the larger scope.

NF Compact Owners how does the scope do at low light? I'm looking at pulling the trigger on one of these but it concerns me if I am hunting with it how it collects light at twlight and first light? I wish they had a 42mm objective but I spoke to NF and no plans are in the works for making the objective any larger any time soon on the Compact!

I just do not want the size or weight of a full size NSX if I can avoid it...

Going an an all purpose .308 Tacticial Rifle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BNix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NF Compact Owners how does the scope do at low light? I'm looking at pulling the trigger on one of these but it concerns me if I am hunting with it how it collects light at twlight and first light? I wish they had a 42mm objective but I spoke to NF and no plans are in the works for making the objective any larger any time soon on the Compact!

I just do not want the size or weight of a full size NSX if I can avoid it...

Going an an all purpose .308 Tacticial Rifle </div></div>

I have 2.5-10x24. To be honest it is kind of sorry in low light conditions. Other than that I love it. I am about to buy another, just a 32mm this time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BNix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NF Compact Owners how does the scope do at low light? </div></div>

I just had one of mine out tonight and in very low light, it did good up to about 4 power. 7 power and above cut the light down pretty good, but it was still usable.

-dan