• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone run a dehumidifier in their reloading room?

Re: Anyone run a dehumidifier in their reloading room?

I do. My reloading room is in my basement so i have to have one running. Very damp here in Indiana. Its a must for me so its a good thing to answer your question.

How often do you empty it?

And does it make an appreciable difference in humidity?

I run a direct line to the drain in my utility room. If not i would be emptying daily during the summer. Without it the levels get upwards of 75% and with it i keep it 45-50 % range.

I would get some sort of humidity meter/gauge monitor thing first and see where it's at before you do anything. You can pick them up fairly cheap for about $10-$50. I also reload in my basement. To my surprise, max humidity level in my reloading room is 43% and temperature is around 65 degrees. I thought it'd have a higher humidity level. Wouldn't be a bad idea to have a monitor anyways.

I also reload in the basement and run a dehumidifier during the summer. It does help keep the humidity more consistent.

I run one in the spring and summer through early fall. When the need for heat arrives the humidity is usually dry enough that it's not needed. Learned this the hard way years ago.

I have to run one here in Texas--it's called an air conditioner.

I have to run one since my reloading takes place in my metal shop... South Louisiana Humidity is a killer... It works great.... Sears sells a good one... all the rest purchased at lowe's etc were JUNK... Shop is not insulated but sealed .. can be quite a suana in the summer though... oh well no pain no gain..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdmartin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have to run one here in Texas--it's called an air conditioner.</div></div>
+1

I keep my reloding/gun room in the basement and run a dehumidifier to maintain a 35-40% humidity and run a ground wire to all my loading equiptment

aloreman---where do you run the groundwire to? a waterpipe, metal rod/pole anchored into floor, groundline off electrical wall outlet?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deltagunner00</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run a direct line to the drain in my utility room. If not i would be emptying daily during the summer. Without it the levels get upwards of 75% and with it i keep it 45-50 % range. </div></div>

Ditto

FYI. you typically want humidity between 30% and 50%MAX. Winter months can be just as bad as summer months but running a warm furnace usually help keep it down, but in the summer when its hot you need to run your AC and when thats not enough to keep in the 30-40 percent you have to use a portable unit or a unit connected to your furnace. FYI, if your doors to your basement are always closed, that is a problem, yo need to circulate/exchange the air with the rest of the house. Make sure you have a cold air return in the basement on the main trunk to the furnace.

Buy a guage. If you have to buy a unit, buy a DANBY, i have one and they have worked flawlessly. The bigger the better. It helps keeping my basement at 34% all year around. If you want total control, look into other reasons why yoru basement is so damp. Water on your walls outside, improper drainage, etc.

Good luck. too much humidty is bad for tools, powder primers everyting. static electricty as well.

I do because I reload in the basement.

I run the ground wire to a water pipe above my loading benches. The water pipes in my house are bonded and run to the same ground as my electrical panel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z28kid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do because I reload in the basement. </div></div>

Ditto!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdmartin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have to run one here in Texas--it's called an air conditioner. </div></div>

No Shit LOL.... and here it comes again : (

i run one and keep the humidity to 30%..I reload in the basement so I need to run one.

I live in Southern New Mexico. What is humidity? :p

I run a dehumidifier all summer long in my basement reloading room. I also added an additional return air duct which helps a lot. My dehumidifier drains directly into my sump pit and runs almost 100% of the time.

It cant be a bad thing, I got one running thru the summer months just 20 ft from my reloading room.