• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Anyone running a 16" AR in 6.8 SPC?

skunkape

Private
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2009
Seaside, CA
I'm considering the purchase of a 16" AR upper in 6.8 SPC, to be used primarily for hunting whitetails and pigs. Does anyone here have experience in using this equipment for the intended application, and if so what kind of accuracy and range are to be expected and what is your prefered load?

Re: Anyone running a 16" AR in 6.8 SPC?

I'm shooting a 6.8 AR with a mid lenght gas/18" barrel. Deadly on pigs. My friend has one with a 16" barrel, and the velocity gain is small going from the 16 to the 18"....maybe 45 fps average.

I've had great luck with 110 gr Sierra Pro Hunters, 110 gr Barnes TTX, and am now starting to shoot the 85 gr Barnes TSX. I've had best accuracy with AA2460 and Re10x with the heavier bullets, and looking @ Re7 for the 85 grainers.

SSA small primer brass is the way to go.

Great cartridge, very versatile.

I've had fine performance with PRI and C- Products mags.

I'm running a 18" upper from TalonArms. I was told by GlobalTactical(?) for 6.8 that a 16" barrel is ideal. I'm not making the arguement either way; I'm assuming what a professional gunsmith recommends to be relatively accurate. I'm just a cheap b@stard and went the other route.

Anyway, my brother just started shooting a 16" 6.8 upper and we are both pleased. I haven't shot over 200 yds with either and accuracy seems almost identical with SSA ammo. My 18" has a WOA barrel, his 16" has a Lothar barrel. Firing the 110 ProHunters and 110 TSX they are both very close.

I don't reload yet nor have I fired anything through a chrono so I can't give you any hard data. We use these hunting whitetails in the upper Midwest and they are more than effective for that task.

It is a great 300 yard round for hunting. For hogs, the Barnes 85 and 110 Gr TSX are best. If you are hunting hogs and deer, I'd use the Barnes 85 Gr TSX with H4198 or RE7.

If you get one, make sure it has one of the newer spec chambers. I believe the DMR and SpecII are what they are called.

When this cartridge was first announced I formed my own brass from 30 rem, and worked up loads with the Hornady 115 otm. I wasn't able to exceed 2500 fps with the sami chamber and large primered brass. With current rifles and components, this can be easily bettered.

It is a great round, and with the improvements in chamber, brass, and barell twist rates, has finally reached its potential. It should be just the ticket for whitetail and pigs.

I would stick with the SPCII or the 6.8x43 chambers. The DMR chamber is a tight match chamber and may give you problems with some SSA factory ammo. It is fine if you just plan on reloading.

After checking out Bison Armory's site, I may just up the barrel to 20". I did some lurking over on 68forums, and if anyone else is looking for solid data on the 6.8, thats a great place to start.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skunkape</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After checking out Bison Armory's site, I may just up the barrel to 20". I did some lurking over on 68forums, and if anyone else is looking for solid data on the 6.8, thats a great place to start. </div></div>

I had a Bison 18" upper along with 6 other uppers. The Bison barrels are real shooters. If you get the 20" barrel, get the intermediate gas length instead of the rifle length.

[/quote] If you get the 20" barrel, get the intermediate gas length instead of the rifle length.[/quote]

I noticed that the price was the same for both gas systems, what are the advantages of the intermediate? My initial thought would be better cycling, what else am i over looking?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skunkape</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[/quote] If you get the 20" barrel, get the intermediate gas length instead of the rifle length.</div></div>

I noticed that the price was the same for both gas systems, what are the advantages of the intermediate? My initial thought would be better cycling, what else am i over looking? [/quote]

The 6.8 uses faster burning powders, so the fast powders and the rifle length gas system can result in some short stroking. I had all kinds of problems with my 20" with the rifle length gas system.