• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone running KAC Micros?

mluning

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2007
Houston Texas USA
I'm about to drop some coin on these BUIS and I was wondering if anyone here has busted a set up yet.

I have yet to come across anything negative about them.

How do they fair with cqb and run-n-gun type situations?

Re: Anyone running KAC Micros?

An iron sight that has a larger apeture like the Troy Battle Sight or Magpul sights will probably be better for CQB/Run-n-Gun scenarios rather than the KAC Micro. The KAC has a pretty small apeture which is great for accuracy at distance but maybe not so much for quickly acquiring relatively close targets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trigger Monkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">An iron sight that has a larger apeture like the Troy Battle Sight or Magpul sights will probably be better for CQB/Run-n-Gun scenarios rather than the KAC Micro. The KAC has a pretty small apeture which is great for accuracy at distance but maybe not so much for quickly acquiring relatively close targets. </div></div>

+1.

Nor is it ideal for any co-witness setup. I would say it is better geared toward DM/precision rifles as a back up to those who want the capability of an A2 rear sight, but lack the necessary real-estate under an optic.

I love the KAC micro - and really don't consider anything else, except the ARMS or MaTech. If the aperture is too small, you can always ream it out - but I never wanted to.

I agree with the gentlemen above...I don't consider anything else for my builds these days besides micros.

The 300m micro has a removable aperture insert that can be removed to enlarge the overall aperture size. KAC makes two different types for a reason...one for cqb pieces, another for precision or longer distance pieces.

In terms of Co witnessing these sights or any other back up irons...one should really only co witness to verify that the RDS is still zero'd properly by checking it's dot in relation to the front sight post.

These are <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">back up</span></span> iron sights, if you intend to run irons only than you should prob. go with a fixed design.

I recently had a problem and am in the process of resolving w/ KAC but it's minor and will not stop me in the least from buying a fourth set very soon for a MWS.

The 2-600m Rear sight was designed for more precision applications. We made a larger aperature version years ago (that had the same size as the 300m and took the insert). I have a set of those somewhere.

We are building the 45º Offsets with the larger aperature types.

Personally I prefer the larger aperature and drill out my personal Micro's to that size.

I've used a folding FSB, ARMS #40, and Troys before and they've been good.

Since I rarely used them I've been considering switching to the KAC Micros on my next build to shave some weight and space.

These would be going on a lightweight RECCE setup.

I have a hard time believing that you'd notice a weight difference and the only real space difference that would matter would be the clearance underneath the scope.

Personally if you rarely use them I'd give magpuls a try. 90$ a pair hard to beat...

Sorry to bring this up from the dead it was the only KAC mirco thread I could find. I'm trying to figure out if the KAC micros will co witness with a Vortex Sparc? I'm not going to be using them simultaneously, but if the Sparc goes down I want to be able to flip them up rather than have to remove the sparc. I prefer an absolute co witness hence my concern and wanting to make sure I won't have to remove the red dot.

I'm admittedly not familiar with the difference between full size and micro size flip ups and not sure how they affect co witness.

The KAC is a great sight. I used one in fire and movement exercises from 200m to 30m. I shot it at 550m from prone position. I used it in CQB ex.

It works great. I like especially the fine adjustment in elevation and windage.

In CQB, don't look through the aperture. Use the AK caveman reddot: "aim" with both eyes open over the rear sight. Put the front sight post on the balls. You hit fast and hard. Over 25m use it properly.

The KAC is a great sight. I used one in fire and movement exercises from 200m to 30m. I shot it at 550m from prone position. I used it in CQB ex.

It works great. I like especially the fine adjustment in elevation and windage.

In CQB, don't look through the aperture. Use the AK caveman reddot: "aim" with both eyes open over the rear sight. Put the front sight post on the balls. You hit fast and hard. Over 25m use it properly.

Thank you for the advice and review of the sights. However my sbr is a hog/camping rifle, I just need to know which KAC sights/combination will provide an absolute co witness if used with an aimpoint micro or vortex sparc. OR an explanation on the differences between micro and "standard" flip up sights and how they effect co witness. I've tried google and can only find discussions on various brands...not an explanation of size difference or purpose.

Thank you for the advice and review of the sights. However my sbr is a hog/camping rifle, I just need to know which KAC sights/combination will provide an absolute co witness if used with an aimpoint micro or vortex sparc. OR an explanation on the differences between micro and "standard" flip up sights and how they effect co witness. I've tried google and can only find discussions on various brands...not an explanation of size difference or purpose.

It all depends on what mount you have on your RDS, both the micro and the standard KAC sights are both on the same level when flipped up. Micro just means the overall size of the sight is smaller. If you have an aimpoint T1 in an absolute co-witness mount then the dot and the BUIS will both line up in roughly the center of the optic window.

If you have something taller like a socom or lower 1/3 mount then they still co-witness but it will be in the lower third of the optic window. If the aimpoint T1 is using the factory low mount I don't think they would line up on the same plane but don't know for sure.

Make sense?

The only thing "micro" about the KAC micro irons are the mounting bases, the actual sights are standard height....so they will co witness your RDS just fine given you buy the proper co witness mount for the optic in question.

KAC micro 300m rear / front sights lower 1/3rd co witnessing a T-1

I have owned the KAC micro front, and 200-600m micro rear iron sights. I love them. Everything is adjustable without special tools, and they are also very precise.