• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Anyone running NF SHV F1 + Tikka CTR?

Dman3931

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I just purchased a Tikka CTR 20” in 6.5CM and now looking for some glass. I’ve been lurking on the forum for a while and done quite a bit of research and I think I’m going to get a Nightforce SHV F1 4x-14x - 50. This will be my first long range rifle and the first time I’ve ever gotten good glass (have several plinkers with budget glass).

The rifle will be used for hunting and long rage target shooting primarily, from a bench, prone, and deer blinds. Target shooting would be paper and steel and was planning on shooting anywhere from 100-800 (with 200-400 likely the most common) although would love something that gives me the elevation to go out to 1K if I work up to it. Illumination preferred due to lowlight shooting. As there will be some stalking, weight is something I’m conscious of, though not against it. Budget is $1000-1200

Ive seen how a lot of these scope requests can get very sidetracked, so I wanted to specifically see if anyone is running this setup, and what there thoughts are. I’m 95% sure this is the scope I’m buying. For those who are running it, do you like it? Is there anything they would change if they could do things differently?

Additionally, would really love advice on rings for this setup. That is the one area that my research is really just beginning, especially all the time researching which glass to get. It will be mounted using a smith.

Great scope and rifle. I've got the CTR and have used the SHV F1, I see no reason why they wouldn't make a great match. If you are using the factory CTR rail, you will likely need a ring height similar to the Seekins Medium (.870") or close to it.

Running the NF SHV 4-14x50 F1 with NF .885 rings on my daughters custom hunting 6 creedmoor. We like the scope. Good glass. Overall quality good for the price.

I should add it will be shot quite a bit in West Texas, which can get pretty dusty. There will definitely be some type of caps involved. Take that into account for ring selection. Thanks again in advance

I also recently become interested in long range shooting and purchased this same scope, lightly used with NF Ultralight .885 rings and Tenebraex covers, from this forum (killer deal btw). For decades I’ve used “good” quality hunting scopes (Leupold VX3, Zeiss Conquest, etc) at about half the cost of this NF, and IMO the SHV is definitely a step up in optic quality and feature set - in other words it’s well worth it!

I have it mounted on my first long range rifle, a Bergara B14 HMR 6.5CM, and am really enjoying this setup. I took it on a W TX muley hunt where it was exposed to blowing sand and the Tenebraex covers worked great. Although just an “entry level” NF scope I think it will serve my purposes well as I learn and hopefully progress in the long range game - or until I can justify that SB or TT lol.

Not sure if the rail height/barrel profile of the HMR is comparable to your CTR, but here is a pic of the SHV mounted on the low NF rings & Warne 20 moa rail - just enough clearance for the Tenebraex covers.
98dbb8a324b00d4949a2ed8c2edb726b.jpg

I bought an SHV to put on my .260 backup rifle however it ended up going on my precision .22 trainer and that's not the best application for that scope. The glass is great. I like the reticle and the illumination is good but the 5 mil per turn turrets isn't enough for a .22 that you're planning on shooting past 100 yards. It's too easy to get lost. I've since mounted a Athlon Cronus on my .22 and the SHV will go on my .260 and should work well there. I really like NF glass and the reticle works well for me so I'm sure you'll like the SHV for the application you are using it for.

I think I’m going to go with the Seekins rings, now just trying to decide if I want to do a Mount Tactical 20 MOA rail. I was initially against it after hearing all the horror stories of people stripping screws trying to get it off the blued receiver, but if a smith is going to do the mounting anyway then I’m slightly less concerned.