• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Anyone seen 2012 yet?

Re: Anyone seen 2012 yet?

if anyone els is planning on seeing it u would be better off setting the money on fire and staying at home and staring at your wall...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RYNO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if anyone els is planning on seeing it u would be better off setting the money on fire and staying at home and staring at your wall... </div></div>

Thats about what I've been hearing from everyone. Personally I never planned on seeing it and the shitty reviews I've been getting from my friends makes me confident in my choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RYNO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if anyone els is planning on seeing it u would be better off setting the money on fire and staying at home and staring at your wall...</div></div>

If the money sets your house on fire are you better off still staying home and taking your chances in the house fire or should you go to the movie? How bad is it really?

Pure Bunkum. Also. Magnetic pole reversal is right on schedule for sometime between 3000AD and 4000AD.

To b honest my vocabulary isnt even broad enough to describe how
bad it is. i would rather perform seppuku while my house burns down around me than watch it again.

The special effects were good though right?

It may be a "netflix" type movie.

WOW!!!!

Thanks guys... we almost went to see it this weekend... I think i will pass now.

Matt.

A good flick, made better by watching Southern California get destroyed. If watching SoCal fall into the ocean gives you a boner, then this is for you.

Also, I'm not convinced the special effects will be very good on DVD. Might be something you need to see in the theatre.

Oh man..havent seen it but..the other day on the news they were talkin about everyone freakin out about it!! people threatening to kill themselves and all so they wouldnt be around for the world to end.....NASA has to make a special website so astromeners (Spelling) could answer rediculous questions.. anyone else hear this??

people i tell ya...i better go hide in tom cruises bunker
grin.gif

Friends don't let friends hide in Tom Cruise's Bunker...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pure Bunkum. Also. Magnetic pole reversal is right on schedule for sometime between 3000AD and 4000AD. </div></div>

That would be hell! Isnt that suppose to only happen every 30-40k years?

Closer to half million years, according to solidified magma flows on the sea floors.

The animation was worth the cash. Not great, but large scale, fun destruction type, it was corny though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What if someone just wants to see the world blowup? I could care less about the surrounding story I just want to see everything get smashed up will I be pleased? </div></div>

Yes, you will be pleased. Just don't pay attention to the plot or the surrounding "science" and you will be a happy camper.

I was going to see it until I found out that purposefully left out destroying the Kaaba because they didnt want to anger the muslims.

I'm all about equal opportunity destruction.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Friends don't let friends hide in Tom Cruise's Bunker... </div></div>

lol now that was funny

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cavscout1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was going to see it until I found out that purposefully left out destroying the Kaaba because they didnt want to anger the muslims.

I'm all about equal opportunity destruction. </div></div>

wtf that's lame as hell.

And untrue as hell. I just got off the phone with one of the producers and he laughed when I asked if it was true. It sounds like a classic example of Confirmation Bias.

I think the pole shifts occur every 12,000 years based upon ice core samples. I don't think we're looking at "several thousand years" for another one, either... Oh, and the movie is "old news" in that it's been discussed for DECADES. Either way, if there is a complete pole shift you won't fare well. None of us will. Just get off of known major fault lines (which includes coast lines) just in case the scientists are incorrect in their rebuttals. Keep your carbines wet and your ammo dry. But you knew that. <wink>

I think it is a good enough movie to rent, but seeing it in the theater was paying too much for me.

I laid hands on a free copy and speed watched it in about five minutes the other night.
I didn't see anything that warranted giving it anymore of my time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cavscout1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was going to see it until I found out that purposefully left out destroying the Kaaba because they didnt want to anger the muslims.

I'm all about equal opportunity destruction. </div></div>

Good one! Currently, 2012 seems a long way off. The summer of 2010 will be hard enough.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RYNO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if anyone els is planning on seeing it u would be better off setting the money on fire and staying at home and staring at your wall... </div></div>

That's the consensus I've gotten from <span style="font-style: italic">everyone</span> I know that's seen this.

I was and a little hurt that the crowd didn,t go a liitle more crazy when Kalifornia slid in the ocean.

The special effects are really good , but the movie story gets worse the longer ut runs.

decent effects, storyline ok, but the thought of a "normal civilian" keeping their cool to the extent of destruction happening around them that was portrayed was a bunch of bull.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COfox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Worst.
Movie.
Ever.</div></div>

Yeah, it's really bad, but you obviously didn't see "Tranformers 3", "GI Joe" or "Terminator: Salvation"
wink.gif

I was disappointed that they explicitly decided to not blow up the Kaaba so as to not draw Muslim ire while doing it with every other major religious landmark. I haven't seen it and this partially plays into why. Death threats shmeath threats. It would have generated major publicity aside from the hype.

Hey Cavscout, go back to the top and re-read the thread. You made that claim earlier last year and I pointed out that it's false, yet you brought it up a second time in this thread.

Bill, oops, I meant "Transformer 2" - 3 is in production now
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Cavscout, go back to the top and re-read the thread. You made that claim earlier last year and I pointed out that it's false, yet you brought it up a second time in this thread.

Bill, oops, I meant "Transformer 2" - 3 is in production now
wink.gif
</div></div>

Fuckin memory, man...Besides, in the info below, it was the writer's/director's decision. I'm not quite sure what a producer even does but I can see this decision being made outside the scope of his knowledge.

anyway, this is the article I was basing my info on: http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/movie-talk-roland-emmerich-fatwa.html

another article: http://scifiwire.com/2009/11/5-best-things-2012s-direc.php

in case the link goes bad anytime soon as is often the case with yahoo here is the text of the article:

The One Place on Earth Not Destroyed in '2012'
by Jonathan Crow · November 3, 2009
Director Roland Emmerich on the set of Columbia Pictures' 2012

When I interviewed director Roland Emmerich a few months ago about his upcoming disaster flick "2012," the first question I asked was, "Why do you like killing the world?" His response: "It makes for a good story."

Over the past fifteen years, Emmerich has crafted some great tales about global doom, featuring some spectacular scenes of destruction. He had aliens zap the White House in "Independence Day," he let a massive lizard flatten New York City in "Godzilla," and he sent killer tornadoes through downtown Los Angeles in "The Day After Tomorrow."

For "2012," Emmerich set his sites on destroying the some biggest landmarks around the world, from Rome to Rio. But there's one place that Emmerich wanted to demolish but didn't: the Kaaba, the cube-shaped structure located in the center of Mecca. It's the focus of prayers and the site of the Hajj, the biggest, most important pilgrimage in Islam.

"Well, I wanted to do that, I have to admit," the filmmaker told scifiwire.com. "But my co-writer Harald [Kloser] said, 'I will not have a fatwa on my head because of a movie.' And he was right."

Photo by Muhannad Fala'ah/Getty Images
Emmerich went on: "We have to all, in the western world, think about this. You can actually let Christian symbols fall apart, but if you would do this with [an] Arab symbol, you would have ... a fatwa, and that sounds a little bit like what the state of this world is. So it's just something which I kind of didn't [think] was [an] important element, anyway, in the film, so I kind of left it out." Read the full article >>

Traditionally, a fatwa has meant religious opinion by an Islamic scholar or imam. The term has gained currency in the West after Iran's Ayatollah Khomeini issued a death sentence in the form of a fatwa against British author Salman Rushdie for alleged blasphemies in his book "The Satanic Verses" in 1989. As a result, the Indian-born writer was forced into hiding for most of the '90s.

Emmerich has no qualms about wrecking other major landmarks, however. The massive dome of St. Peter's Basilica in the Vatican rolls on top of a crowd of churchgoers. The huge Christ the Redeemer statue that looms over Rio de Janeiro disintegrates. And, of course, the White House gets crushed when a wave drops the aircraft carrier John F. Kennedy on top of it.

The director was also reportedly approached by people hoping to get their famous landmarks trashed, like Taiwan's Taipei 101, which is the tallest completed building in the world. There's no word yet if that structure will meet the same on-screen fate as the Vatican and the White House. "2012" opens nationwide on November 13.

Here's the deal, I go way back with some key people who made that movie, having worked on some of their earlier projects as a lead artist. Two of them are close personal friends of mine and no, I didn't work on it because I needed a break after "Speed Racer" and I was already signed on for "Shutter Island." Working with "zee Germans" can be pretty taxing.

So when I called and asked the word I got was "oh not that again?" As it was explained to me, they joked about the Kaaba and a fatwa, but it was never seriously considered because A.) they didn't want to be seen as focusing on destroying religious sites B.) they didn't think most of their audience would know what the Kaaba is in the first place. There was this idea of "well if we show this place and that place then we'll have to show all of them."

The producers work directly with the director to manage the entire production. Two of them in particular were there from the start to the finish and even involved with the script not long after "Day After Tomorrow." The script gets finessed right through production quite often actually.

Now given the article, I can see how people go that idea. I thought it was just another example of "I heard they..."

Not really that good but I can say I watched it and made my own judgement.

It still su cked and was in ZERO way realistic about anything, not even how airplanes fly.

Sorry, thot it was the worst special effects movie, complete hype, BS. Not even a realistic story line.

I watched it on video for the first time... I kept asking my daughter if this was a comedy... Seriously, I was laughing at most of the destruction and the flying of the plane.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What if someone just wants to see the world blowup? I could care less about the surrounding story I just want to see everything get smashed up will I be pleased? </div></div>
yes, especially if you would like CA to be destroyed. the special effects are so-so.
I was impressed my how many times the characters became involved in some kind of skin of the teeth close call...again and again and again.

it was an ok movie only made better by john cusack and woody harelson. it's a renter...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's the deal, I go way back with some key people who made that movie, having worked on some of their earlier projects as a lead artist. Two of them are close personal friends of mine and no, I didn't work on it because I needed a break after "Speed Racer" and I was already signed on for "Shutter Island." Working with "zee Germans" can be pretty taxing.

So when I called and asked the word I got was "oh not that again?" As it was explained to me, they joked about the Kaaba and a fatwa, but it was never seriously considered because A.) they didn't want to be seen as focusing on destroying religious sites B.) they didn't think most of their audience would know what the Kaaba is in the first place. There was this idea of "well if we show this place and that place then we'll have to show all of them."

The producers work directly with the director to manage the entire production. Two of them in particular were there from the start to the finish and even involved with the script not long after "Day After Tomorrow." The script gets finessed right through production quite often actually.

Now given the article, I can see how people go that idea. I thought it was just another example of "I heard they..."</div></div>

understood, thank you for the correct info.

spoiler:
"in a epic conclusion to the triumph and perseverance of humanity, one girl did'nt have a accident in her pull-up."

I felt like my brain had devolved after having seen this trifle of film, my wife now owes me for having watched it with her.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, it's really bad, but you obviously didn't see "Tranformers 2", "GI Joe" or "Terminator: Salvation"
wink.gif

</div></div>

I have seen those, and yes, they were turds too. TF-2 at least had Megan Fox! GIJoe sucked monkey-balls and T-salvation was not terrible, but I was very disappointed.

Horrible story, horrible writing, horrible dialogue. What a waste.

LOL it was ok for blckbuster/netflix..my buddy plays Sasha the Russian pilot in the movie
smile.gif

Say it. Wish I had not seen it. Best part was when Woody gets it.

Watch ZombieLand instead.

There was this one part in the movie that really was awesome. At the very end, the screen goes black and all the credits start rolling. That part of the movie had my full attention. I'd rather watch the world blow up instead of watching the movie again.