• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone Shoot 175-178 gr out of their 1:12 twist .308 AI barrels?

Lakie

Private
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2013
Campbellsville KY
I am looking at one of the Accuracy International AE's in .308. They are listed with 24" barrels with 1:12 twist. I reload and really like the 175 SMK and 178 AMAX bullets. I know this is pushing the 12 twist barrel pretty far, but I was wondering how many of you have done it and how did it perform?

Thanks in advance!

I don't see why so many are in the mind set that 1:12 is somehow obsolete and bullets won't stabilize now that the latest craze is 1:10. A 1:12 will stabilize anything you would want to run out of a 308 unless we're talking subsonics. Even 200-210gr match bullets will stabilize, lots of people do it.

Running 175 SMK's outta my 24" AE. No issues whatsoever. 1/4 MOA groups, avg velocities of 2635 fps

The 10-twist is a holdover from when 220gr bullets were shot from the 30-03. When those Springfields were setback and rechambered in 30-06 the twist specification was retained. A 12-twist will stabilize just about anything under 200grs no problems.

If you have your Ai set up right ,meaning scope is high enough so eye relief/eye level set correct and length of pull correct ,then you'll see tiny groups with 175/178s . Take the time to load develop and set up your Ae correctly and you'll be happy with the results !
Don't worry about 1-12 twist rate ,Accuracy international builds em to perform !

I've tried 175 SMK's and 178 AMax's and honestly according to my data they are just not that consistent through my R700 Varmint 26" w/ 1-12" . My data is showing better consistency with 168's and 155's. At this time i'm shooting 200 meters, so once I start reaching out to 3,5 and 600 yards I might see better performance. I've spent a lot of time developing 168's with different powders seems as the 168's will be a great compromise at all distances from 200 meters up to 600 yds for my specific shooting distances.

Last edited:
I've tried 175 SMK's and 178 AMax's and honestly according to my data they are just not that consistent through my R700 Varmint 26" w/ 1-12" . My data is showing better consistency with 168's and 155's. At this time i'm shooting 200 meters, so once I start reaching out to 3,5 and 600 yards I might see better performance. I've spent a lot of time developing 168's with different powders seems as the 168's will be a great compromise at all distances from 200 meters up to 600 yds for my specific shooting distances.

Completely different barrel.

I need to ask why, its the same twist, I just got a R700 Varmint and would like more info. Thanks

Not all barrels are created equally, I don't think you can compare a factory Remington barrel to a AI barrel.

My brother has an older 700P 1/12 that shoots 175/178 great.

I have a 2010 AW with a 24" UK barrel that does very well with 175SMKs. I have owned and shot 308 barrels from all makes both factory and custom from 10 twist to 14 twist and have shot 155g to 175g bullets threw them all and there is no difference to be found as far as twist rate.

Not all barrels are created equally, I don't think you can compare a factory Remington barrel to a AI barrel.

My brother has an older 700P 1/12 that shoots 175/178 great.

Yes while not all barrels are created equal the SPS Var and 700P are pretty much the same.

The difference between the two are cosmetics.

HS stock for the 700p.
Cheap plastic for the SPS Var.

Parkerized finish for 700p.
Standard bluing for the SPS Var.

Some older 700p's came with x40 trigger as of late I have read some that have had the X-Mark in them (can't say 100% being I haven't seen one in a bit)
The SPS Var came with standard trigger at all time.

So the barrel action is the same on both rifles besides the points I brought up above. Both barrels are .820" at the muzzle.

Now as for shooting accuracy. All shoot out of my SPS Tac and SPS Var are 175 smk's. I will say I have a consistent .5 moa and can't group some nice groups when everything clicks right in the .200's all with stock barreled actions. I do however change out the stock trigger. My best at longer distance is 2.52" with 175 smk at 550 yards nothing to brag about but come on its a stock barreld action that some would not even give the time of day.

Anyways just wanted to correct some info and this is a AE thread but want to say that 1-12 will do fine with heavier bullets nothing to worry about especially if you reload.

Yes while not all barrels are created equal the SPS Var and 700P are pretty much the same.

The difference between the two are cosmetics.

HS stock for the 700p.
Cheap plastic for the SPS Var.

Parkerized finish for 700p.
Standard bluing for the SPS Var.

Some older 700p's came with x40 trigger as of late I have read some that have had the X-Mark in them (can't say 100% being I haven't seen one in a bit)
The SPS Var came with standard trigger at all time.

So the barrel action is the same on both rifles besides the points I brought up above. Both barrels are .820" at the muzzle.

Now as for shooting accuracy. All shoot out of my SPS Tac and SPS Var are 175 smk's. I will say I have a consistent .5 moa and can't group some nice groups when everything clicks right in the .200's all with stock barreled actions. I do however change out the stock trigger. My best at longer distance is 2.52" with 175 smk at 550 yards nothing to brag about but come on its a stock barreld action that some would not even give the time of day.

Anyways just wanted to correct some info and this is a AE thread but want to say that 1-12 will do fine with heavier bullets nothing to worry about especially if you reload.

Don't want to hijack, but one quick question is it possible a 175ish weight bullets are not fully stabilized at 200 meters ? My recorded velocities are around 2600 fps

Don't want to hijack, but one quick question is it possible a 175ish weight bullets are not fully stabilized at 200 meters ? My recorded velocities are around 2600 fps

If this was a case, people would not be showing off gourps in the .100' and .200" moa at 100 yards. Maybe some even better then what I wrote here. I have shot bug hole groups from 50 out to 600 yards with 175 SMK. I dont shoot 168 SMK's unless I dont have reloads at hand and need ammo. So I buy factory.

So I can assure anyone that its pretty damn safe to say that yes a 1-12 can stabilize a 175 or 178 under 200 yards with no issues. :)

Last edited: