• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone shoot 175gr RDFs still?

Cleanmiss

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2010
sacramento
Just wondering if anyone still uses em? Did some searching but the threads were older. I was going to try the berger hybrid target 185s but RDFs are half the price. I have some already loaded from a member and was thinking about working a load up with 2000mr vs the 43gr of 4064 loaded. What's the hide's opinions? Thanks all

I tried em in any number of configurations for my 308 and I couldn’t get them to shoot better than 175 SMK. I do know from what I’ve gathered they can be a bit of a pain to tune. My 6.5 Creed will shoot em fine just not the 308

Reactions: Cleanmiss
I literally just started working on a load with them yesterday. Had decent results using new Lapua brass, 43.2g Varget , fed 210m primers and 0.020” jump in my Howa. Barrel is still new so I’m sure things will evolve. I’m going to do a seating depth test next. It was windy when I tested so my horizontal dispersion was more than I would have liked but my vertical was very consistent. Low SDs across th board but I was only shooting 3 shot groups for velocity. Only shot at 100 yards. I’ll update when I can conclude my testing.

Keep an eye out at Shooters Pro Shop for good deals on blems. I couldn’t discern any noticeable defects and they were fairly consistent in terms of weight. I didn’t measure base to ogive though.

I've shot (and still shoot) fuck tons of them. About 5k in one gun and another 1700 in a different gun. 43.3gr Varget in Lake City (gun 1) and PMC (gun 2) brass with CCI BR2s and loaded to 2.175 BTO. They shoot great, are cheap and have a way better bc than the 175SMK.

They will shoot as good as most any quality 175 gr. bullet out there. Not really beat them for accuracy, but they will shoot that good a lot farther out.

The trouble in tuning them is they are optimized for long range. Meaning you give up some of the easier facets to load accurately to get them through the transonic range better. I have found they work better in 1-11" to 1-10" or lower twists. They do jump pretty good...guess that also depends on the condition of your throat.

And to the original question, yes. They seem to be 'out of stock' a lot.

Sounds good to me. I'll be loading for my ctr 1-11 so that's a plus and jump tolerance is also a plus. I guess I'll just have to get some and see if I can find a combo that'll do what I need it to. Does anyone have thoughts on or against trying it with 2000mr?

Loading some to compare against some H 178 BTHP's I found at an estate sale. two 308 AR's one with a 1-12 26 " and a 26" LAR-8
Now just need a little rain to cool the 97* Temp.

Loading some to compare against some H 178 BTHP's I found at an estate sale. two 308 AR's one with a 1-12 26 " and a 26" LAR-8
Now just need a little rain to cool the 97* Temp.
I'm soooooo glad I'm not where you are. I was dyin' when it broke 90 a bunch of days in a row here in da UP. Humidity made it worse, or tolerable without it.

What corner of the world is you is in? Hummadaty and skeeters play a role in how much I don't like it. Here I am wanting to move away from 250+ inches of snow every winter... :rolleyes:

As it pertains to this thread, all this heat is really good for stability and getting more range out of your average bullet.

Im over the heat here, we just had a few days in a row over 104. 93 today is almost enjoyable for our normal summer temps over 100. I'd shovel some snow if I didn't have to work in this shit anymore

Bringing up an older thread here, but I just bought a box of 500 in 175 grain this evening. I hated to commit to that many, but it was a good deal. Will be using them with Varget in two different barrels.

Interested to hear about any updates in this thread.

Reactions: sandwarrior
I have been working on a load combo with 2000mr for my ctr. If I can remember I'm getting around 2720fps with lc brass, fed match primers and max load at 47.7. Zero signs of pressure and very consistent hits so far out to 700-1000 (My range finder was having some issues). I'm playing with primers, norma brass and different depths too. Haven't gotten any real dope yet due to the heat and hunting season kicking off. As others have stated they tend to favor a jump. Sorry I don't have specific #s in front of me and I'm still a rookie so I'm not the best help.

Reactions: rockchalk06
I have been working on a load combo with 2000mr for my ctr. If I can remember I'm getting around 2720fps with lc brass, fed match primers and max load at 47.7. Zero signs of pressure and very consistent hits so far out to 700-1000 (My range finder was having some issues). I'm playing with primers, norma brass and different depths too. Haven't gotten any real dope yet due to the heat and hunting season kicking off. As others have stated they tend to favor a jump. Sorry I don't have specific #s in front of me and I'm still a rookie so I'm not the best help.

Thank you. That gives me a good start as well.